The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Questions

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by gomerp618 on April 10, 2006 05:33 AM
Hi everyone. I've got some questions. I'm bummed because I don't get to start my flower beds like I wanted to but excited about the reason why not.

I was approached by an investment firm who wanted to buy my property to eventually demolish my house. I couldn't pass up the chance and the profit so after only being here a year, I'm moving again.

Here's the bummer part.. I spent the entire winter planning my flower beds and buying seeds so excited to get out there and get started as there are no flower beds here at all so I had a clean slate. Now I'm sitting here with a bunch of seeds and can't plant some of them since I'll be moving soon.

I can't go without planting something though and having the beauty of some flowers around while I finish the close and find another house so I was going to use pots and plant some of my seeds. I love my houseplants, but want to do something outdoors too.

Which ones will be okay to do this with? I have pots and flower boxes of varying sizes from small to very big.

Here are some of the seeds I have now

Black eyed Susan
Shirley Poppy
Hibiscus
Butterfly Bushes
Spanish Flag
Lavendar
Butterfly Pea
Mexican Hat
A few different kinds of sunflowers
Foxglove
Common Lilac
Poppy Mix
Chocolate Vine
Gardenia
Glory Vine
Verbena Moss
Daisy
Hostas

I had already started some of my lilacs before I knew about this deal, will they be okay to put in a pots for now and then in a more permanent location in a few months? I figure if they were at a nursery or something they could be in pots for several months so they should be okay.

Are there some that are hardier than others that could handle being moved and transplated better?

If you think of any perfect for this that are not on my list, feel free to suggest them as these are not the only seeds I have and I am not opposed to getting more [Big Grin]

Also, I have had some cherry tree seeds in my fridge for cold propogation (is the the correct term). Will those be okay in pots for now?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Lord, please let me be the person my dog thinks I am!
by rogmee on April 11, 2006 10:22 AM
You can grow anything in a container, just remember that you must, you must, you must provide adequate drainage in the container. Container gardening is very different from growing in the ground, but if you give your plants what they need they will reward you.

Active Garden Forum