The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

calla lilly

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: calla lillies| Next thread: Calla Lilly Seeds? »
Back to Thread index
by pagarden on April 04, 2006 10:48 AM
i've had a calla lilly in a big pot for probably 2 years. i think i got maybe 1 flower last summer. not sure why though. the plant is healthy- i have green big leaves. in the winter it gets good sun indoors. i bought a ph tester a few days ago and was randomly checking my plants. it tested at around 5.5. is that too acidic for a lilly? could that be why it hasn't bloomed in a while? occasioanly i will give it some miracle grow- for regular plants. but honestly i haven't in a while- i don't do it very often when they are indoors. think it just needs some miracle grow? or more alkaline soil? or is there some other reason it's being finicky? i think the first year i had it in this pot i probably got 4-5 flowers off it. big beautiful pure white calla lillies. i am ready for another so help me out!
by obywan59 on April 04, 2006 11:28 AM
You need to take them out of the dirt in the fall, and store them overwinter, letting them go totally dormant. Here's a link:

Calla care

I don't know about the 1 bulb per pot recommendation though. My mom basically fills the pot with the bulbs when she replants. She doesn't bother using anti-fungal dust either and she never has any problems.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by Deborah L. on April 04, 2006 12:39 PM
I had that happen too, no flowers after the first ones. When I dug in the pot to see what was going on, there were tons of little bulbs. I guess it was making new bulbs and resting from flowering?

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: calla lillies| Next thread: Calla Lilly Seeds? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: