The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Specialty Kneelers and Scooters For The Garden

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Spearmint| Next thread: Specialty Potato Chowder »
Back to Thread index
by Merme on June 27, 2005 01:19 AM
For anyone with difficulties kneeling in the soil, there are two useful options you might consider. I personally was delighted to discover these pieces of equipment after spending an entire spring season doing all my plantings by laying flat on my tummy in the yard!

A kneeling bench, such as the Easy Kneeler is a versitle addition to your garden. It is a 20" high bench for sitting made of tublar stee. The seat can be flipped down into a lower position for kneeling and the legs of the bench become rails to help you push yourself up again.

There are lots of manufacturers of this type of kneeling bench, so shop around for one that suits you and your budget.

If you want to completely avoid kneeling and deep bending, you might want to consider purchasing a Scoot-N-Do or similar product. This 10" high seat on four wheels sort of resembles a childs wagon with the seat lifting up for storage beneath. Seated so low to the ground you can avoid kneeling or deep bending while still being mobile to traverse between your garden rows. There are also three-wheeled seats available; it is just a matter of personal preference as to use and what makes you feel most secure.

-
 -

"In the midst of winter, I learned there lives in me an invincible summer" Camus (maybe a paraphrase)
by duckie on June 28, 2005 09:20 AM
[kissies] Thankyou Merme,
this is an excellent addition to our forum.

That scoot-n-do sounds like just the ticket for some of my friends.And for me too.

I used to be able to spend lots of time on my knees (weeding)...now it's 10 minutes and my back is screaming (quit it,quit it,ya big dummy)

[Love] duckie

-
 -
by Merme on August 03, 2005 10:32 AM
Here is a link to a photo of a specialty kneeler. It is Easy Kneeler.

Specialty Kneeler

All of these photos are from Janeen R. Adil's classic book "Accesible Gardening For People With Disabilities", Woodbine House, Publishers.

-
 -

"In the midst of winter, I learned there lives in me an invincible summer" Camus (maybe a paraphrase)
by Merme on August 03, 2005 10:35 AM
Here is a link to a photo of The Scoot-N-Do

Specialty Scooter

-
 -

by luckygardnr on February 18, 2006 01:13 AM
I like this scooter as it has a tractor seat that swivels 360'. And room for tools underneath.
 -
by comfrey on February 18, 2006 08:36 AM

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Spearmint| Next thread: Specialty Potato Chowder »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: