The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Delphinium & Foxglove from seed

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Delphinium???| Next thread: Dendrobium »
Back to Thread index
by MaryReboakly on May 22, 2005 08:37 AM
Okay, so I went crazy and bought a bunch of seed packets. I want to plant delphiniums with foxgloves in front of them.

Can I sow seeds right into the ground? Seed packet for delphiniums call for a cold frame. Not sure I understand why, or if I have to plant them this way to be successful?

Thanks!
Mary

-
 -
by weezie13 on May 22, 2005 09:31 AM
Mary,
My Delphinium seed package says;
Sow indoors early, transpalnt in May in humusy, well drained, well limed soil. Fertilizing is essential, and plants require staking.
Remove spent flowers to encourage rebloom.

Nothing about a cold frame...

But, as I said in another post, try a little experiment... That's how you learn, that's how you learn which method is easiest and less work and / or best results no matter how much or little work you put in to it...

Try a few seeds, scattered out where you want them to grow... Try some seeds in a container and put a pop bottle over the top of it, *the very bottom cut off* will give you a greenhouse/cold frame effect...Make sure on really HOT days you take the pop bottle top off to release steam and heat... maybe close back up (not too tight) for over night if still cold/cool in your area..and if you have any left over, start some in side your house on a window sill...

And for your foxgloves, they usually don't flower the first year, as foxgloves are biennials, leave out the first year, over winter out side and then the following year, send up a flower stalk and blooms...
Also for a side note, they are not a Lonnnnnng lived plant, and reseeds itself prolifically...
So, if you plant one plant in front of your delphinium, it may not eventually stay there, as the momma may die and the babies are off on the side somewhere's...

Mother nature allllllllways has her hand in volunteers... and sometimes those volunteers show up in the best **and sometimes worst* places..

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by MaryReboakly on May 22, 2005 10:02 AM
Weezie to the rescue...again! Thanks for the soda bottle tip - I'll try it, and a little here, a little there like you suggested... I do need to start a plant journal or something to keep track of what I've done/not done - otherwise I'll forget and next year will have the same questions. Every day is like a new day for me [Big Grin]

The foxglove packet says 'blooms the first year from seed' but we'll see about that! I guess they will say anything to get you to buy THEIR seeds [Wink] LOL I didn't think about them 'moving' on me! I'll keep splitting my hostas, and keep them handy for filling in those awkward empty spots [Wink]

Thanks again Weezie!

Mary

-
 -
by Francine on May 23, 2005 12:56 AM
Hi Mary,

I got delphinium and foxgloves also,bought them cuz i found it so beautiful.well i sowed the seed and for the life of poor little ole me cant get them to grow more than.5 of an inch.so your question helped me also.thank you cause i almost gave up on them,and i don t give up easily.guess i ll have to replant some of those seed again and this time i ll experiment also and try puting some seed directly in the garden and se what happens from there.

As for a log for your plant, that s what i do and it s a very good idea.i ve been keeping a scrapbook in wich i scotchtape all the little cards that come with the plants ,before i do right beside i write all the details that on the back on the page wher i scotchtape it after.and do the same with the seed packets,exept instead of writin what s in the back i separate the verso from recto and scotch. both side by side.i also make pages i call: list of flowers by colors,another by hights,kind of soil,etc...get my drift.so it makes it easier when it comes to arrange the flowers in garden;or i scetch my garden on a page first,so if there is something i don t like i can always change it on paper until i m satisfied,it s better if you make ascetch of the flower bed and photocopie a couple so you won t have to rescetch over and over again.

well sorry if it was long to explain but it s worth it,anyway it works for me,oh ya i forgot for each i write the date of purchase and when it was transplanted as well as the temperature for each day and i keep the scapbook,so it helps me for the next year.

Good luck!!!

http://photobucket.com/albums/d23/fv1962/
by weezie13 on May 23, 2005 02:25 AM
Mary,
quote:
The foxglove packet says 'blooms the first year from seed'
That very could be... I had bought a six pack of the assorted color one's one year... didnt' get the color I wanted [Eek!] but thought I'd have to wait for more flowers the following year, but what happened, is when they grew, and reseeded themselves in the fall time, and had time to sprout and grow a wee~bit and overwintered, and flowered that next year...
I have a ba~zillion foxgloves alllllll over the place now, and so many different colors, it's so much fun now... I'm a addict to plants, and even bought myself another package of seed this year, to see if I'd get another color combo... Can't wait!

quote:
I do need to start a plant journal or something to keep track of what I've done/not done - otherwise I'll forget and next year will have the same questions.
I am waaaaay tooooo un~organized for those,
but if they work for you, I know they can work great...
quote:
otherwise I'll forget and next year will have the same questions. Every day is like a new day for me
That's me to a "T"
quote:
Every day is like a new day for me
Too funny, there's a movie like that called "The first 50 dates" with Drew Barrymore and Adam Sandler... too funny..

***Francine,
In my gardening experience... the delphiniums' aren't as prolific as the foxgloves..
Foxgloves can survive on their own, with no help.
I planted my original 6 pack and haven't done a thing to them since I planted them.. Honest.
So try those first...
Delphiniums' can be finicky about growing conditions and also aren't a lonnnng lived plant.

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by MaryReboakly on May 23, 2005 05:14 AM
Francine - thanks for the tips on creating a journal. I love the idea - now I hope I can set it into motion before I start forgetting stuff! It doesn't take very long! LOL! [Big Grin]

Weezie, as for the colors, at this point, if I get something that's actually a flower I'll be thrilled LOL! Not too worried about color yet...though in time I'd like to make a bed for a 'moon garden', but until then I'll be happy if I get something to grow :-) I envy your bazillion foxgloves! I love them, theyre SO cool looking. [Wink]

I haven't seen 'The first 50 dates' but will have to check it out - if I can remember the name of it! [thinker] LOL!

-
 -
by Francine on May 23, 2005 06:11 AM
Hi Mary,Hi Weezie,

****Mary,

hope you ll have time to get your journal in motion ,it s so usefull,and by writing it about each plant you ll remember it more easy.oh,and try for each to also write where you bought it and the price you paid,it helps you for the next yr.,you don t have to run so much to check specials.(unless of course you see a good special in the week-end paper).

*****Weezie,

thanks for the infos ,right now both kind are sssllllooooowwwllyyyy gggrrrooowwwwiinnnggg,but i can t remember what it looks like and i forgot to write in on the pot(and of course the little card i put in my journal don t show the seedling growing). so if you or someone else has pix of both seedlings could you please post it ,i would appreciate.

thanks very much and have a good night,me i work monday so in a few minutes i ll go to bed(ya,in a few minutes,bet ya i ll be glued here till 1 am. :wavey: ;) :D

by MaryReboakly on May 23, 2005 06:52 AM
Foxglove Seedling ID

still looking for delphinium!

-
 -
by weezie13 on May 23, 2005 07:14 AM
Delphiniums Seedlings

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Francine on May 23, 2005 07:38 AM
If you two don t take the cake....BY GEORGE!! i think i got one of them yep,definately the fox glove,right now it would only be like one fox finger,not the glove ,only the finger and the little one on top of it all [Big Grin] ,yep! has a big quarter of an inch.,hey thank you verymuch girls for your time and effort,that s really team work,one with the foxgloves and the other with the delphinium.do you think i should take it outside so little or should i wait again a little bit,don t those things have to polinate(opposite of poor little ole me I TRY TO STAY INSIDE MYSELF when i got to polinate. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

thanks a bunch!!

by Francine on May 23, 2005 07:44 AM
By the by,didn t i tell you i d stay glued here till 1 am,thank god i only work at 1 pm monday. [Wink] [kissies] [kissies] [muggs]

and i give you two a standing ovation [clappy] [clappy] [clappy] [clappy]

by MaryReboakly on May 23, 2005 08:35 AM
I found a great site!

I think it'll help us newbie gardeners know whether or not we're seeing seedlings we've planted, or seedlings mother nature put in there to have a laugh at us [shocked]

the seed site

It's a little tricky to navigate, but has pictures of a lot of different seedlings!

Mary

-
 -
by tkhooper on May 23, 2005 12:14 PM
Way to go Mary,

That is definitely on my favorites list. I have a bunch of those to identify.
by Francine on May 24, 2005 07:30 AM
there s a lot of xplanations xept,and maybe i didn look enough for it,i can t find the pictures.it looks like a goog site though.

thanks Mary,

by MaryReboakly on May 24, 2005 07:54 AM
Francine - if you go to "Plant Index" and then go to A (for example) under "Common Name". The first one on the list that has seedling pictures is African Hemp. If you click on 'seedling', a chart comes up with some different seedlings. At this point you just have to look through the chart for the one you're looking for...African Hemp is in the last column, 3 rows down. Hope that helps!

Mary

-
 -
by Francine on May 24, 2005 06:31 PM
Thanks Mary,i found it,must have been me that did not look enough.

i gave it to pcgrav(Lynne) she was wondering about her elephats ear and when i went to do what you told me i saw elephants ear so i told her about it.

well i got to hurry up now i star work at 12:30 today so peple could fly to your white house.

thanks again!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Delphinium???| Next thread: Dendrobium »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: