The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Canna and calla lily

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: canna.| Next thread: CANNA BULBS.........HOW 2 DO THEM?? »
Back to Thread index
by ladystressout on June 22, 2004 05:32 PM
Hello everyone hope your gardens are all doing great this season? Does anyone have any canna and calla lily to share with me? I got some seeds or I'll pay for the postage? Hope someone does have some to share with me? Want to plant the canna in the vegetable garden I heard some animals do not like them and will stay out of my garden? Bye
by Sami on June 23, 2004 12:08 AM
I was given my Cannas by a neighbor. I am a novice & don't know how to go about getting the seeds. I seperate mine & replant them each year (the multiply so fast!) I have an abundance of the yellow/orange cannas. If I could learn how to get the seeds, I would be more than happy to send you some.

-
Talentless but connected.
by gardenmom32210 on June 23, 2004 02:24 PM
I dont know about Canna seeds. I usually dig up the tuber when I give them away.
I'd be more than happy to share some with you.

Karen [grin]
by Sami on June 23, 2004 11:17 PM
quote:
Originally posted by gardenmom32210:
I dont know about Canna seeds. I usually dig up the tuber when I give them away. Karen [grin]
That's how I do mine...just haven't given any away, yet. That's why I have to keep finding more places in my yard for them, lol. I'll be happy to share mine with anyone who wants some. As I said, they are the orange/yellow ones. Just PM me your address [Smile] Karen, what color are yours? I would really like some red ones in my yard.

-
by njoynit on June 29, 2004 06:34 AM
[wayey] I know about canna seeds!

ok you know those things that get brown where the flower falls off?sometimes it will feel hard...it ain't ready yet...it will be all brown and fall off easily& when you squeeze it it will split and inside is small seeds that will be cramish to tannish to brownish and are small and look like pansey or snap dragon seeds.I was checking mine and are not ready yet.

I been wanting purple or redish foliage ones.
when I get good seeds ready will pop a pic and post um

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03
by Sami on June 29, 2004 06:32 PM
Cool, thanks! I'll try to gather some this year.

-
by Sami on July 01, 2004 08:28 AM
quote:
Originally posted by njoynit:
ok you know those things that get brown where the flower falls off?sometimes it will feel hard...it ain't ready yet...it will be all brown and fall off easily& when you squeeze it it will split and inside is small seeds that will be cramish to tannish to brownish and are small and look like pansey or snap dragon seeds.
I was out looking today...I found what I think you were talking about. Are they the little fuzzy looking things? I found a few on the ground and a few on the stalks that were soft. I broke a couple open to look inside & saw like little tiny black? seeds. So, do I just gather those, let them dry & put them in envelopes to plant next year?

-
by eyesoftexas on July 06, 2004 11:02 PM
[wayey] LISTEN UP......GROWING CANNA FROM SEED IS A EASY THING TO DO, AND YOU MAY WELL HAVE SOME OF THEM FLOWERING BY THE END OF THE SEASON.
TAKE YOUR SEED, NICK IT THE WAY YOU WOULD AN MG, AND SOAK FOR 48 HOURS....PLANT IN DAMP POTTING MEDIUM, (I USE MIRACLE GROW POTTING SOIL) SHOULD SPROUT AND START GROWING WITHIN 10-14 DAYS. I HAVE OVER 20 VARIETIES OF CANNAS AND WILL POST AND SHARE OF SASE AS THEY MATURE....SOME CANNAS SPREAD FASTER THAN OTHERS. I HAVE GIANTS, STANDARDS, AND DWARFS. HOPE THIS SOLVES SOME OF THE DILEMAS..... [Smile]

Love is the fairest flower in God's Garden!

"eyes"
 -
by Sami on July 27, 2004 06:57 PM
quote:
Originally posted by njoynit:
[wayey] I know about canna seeds!

ok you know those things that get brown where the flower falls off?sometimes it will feel hard...it ain't ready yet...it will be all brown and fall off easily& when you squeeze it it will split and inside is small seeds that will be cramish to tannish to brownish and are small and look like pansey or snap dragon seeds.I was checking mine and are not ready yet.

I been wanting purple or redish foliage ones.
when I get good seeds ready will pop a pic and post um

OK, I'm getting ready to try this...I just need clarification 'cause I'm afraid I just don't know what I'm doing. Since the moths or whatever got to mine, lots didn't bloom or just look bad. But, I have a few that have bloomed, flower has browned & fell off (or I pulled off the dead blooms) and now I have lots of the little fuzzy things that have now turned brown but they aren't soft, they're hard, like dried up. Is that when they are ready to gather the seeds? I still have a lot that are green but I think you were saying that when they are brown, it's time. I am right or just a dummy?

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: canna.| Next thread: CANNA BULBS.........HOW 2 DO THEM?? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: