The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Columbine

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Colors in the sky| Next thread: Columbine »
Back to Thread index
by murphyette on June 22, 2004 02:37 AM
My Columbine looks horrible. It had worms, and I got rid of them, but then I don't know what happened. The leaves got all brown and died. There is some new growth, but I don't know if it is going to make it. There are no blooms left on any of it. It started out doing so well, really lush and beautifully blooming. We have had alot of rain, so I was worried it was a fungus. It gets about 2-3hrs of late afternoon sun. Should I move it to a sunnier location in the fall? Or just dig it up and put something else there? Preferably a perennial. maiden Pink's?? Ugh. Help.

Jody
by Newt on June 22, 2004 07:26 PM
So sorry to hear about this. If you did have blooms and can harvest the seed, you might want to sprinkle them around the garden where you would like to see them. I find that they are short lived plants - 3 to 5 years, but then the new ones take over and bloom in 2 or 3 years from seed. It's another 3 to 5 years and then they seem to just punk out and die.

It's my understanding that they don't transplant well once mature, but give it a try if you think the location is a problem. If it makes it, you've got a winner.

Good luck,
Newt

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.
by alankhart on June 22, 2004 08:14 PM
Unfortunately, columbines are subject to a slew of diseases and insects. I usually end up cutting mine back down to the ground in summer because the foliage looks so bad. They soon regrow new healthy leaves. If you are seeing new growth from the base you may still be in luck.

-
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Colors in the sky| Next thread: Columbine »
Back to Thread index