The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

water condition question for fish

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: water........| Next thread: water gardening »
Back to Thread index
by Karrie on July 18, 2006 08:00 AM
How long should I let my treated water sit before adding fish?

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by cookinmom on July 18, 2006 08:38 AM
An article I read yesterday in a magazine said two weeks, but I don't know if I could stand that long of a wait!
A day or two will aerate out all the chlorine, if you have it, but I don't know if there are other concerns that would make two weeks better.
[flower]

-
Real women don't have hot flashes -- we have power surges!
by Karrie on July 18, 2006 08:44 AM
Well I tested the water with a test strip it said it had 0 chlorine in it, and I put in conditioner let it set for 24 hours and they are in. You pegged me couldnt wait. Actually the kids couldnt wait. So I will see what happens. Thanks for your help.

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by cookinmom on July 18, 2006 08:46 AM
I bet it will be fine. How many fish, and what kind?

-
by loz on July 18, 2006 08:55 AM
I waited 3 days to add my plants, and 3 more days to add my fish! [thumb]
by Karrie on July 18, 2006 09:01 AM
gold fish, large ones but the hole is small 2 to 3 feet deep and 2 to 3 feet wide. I think the water is probably fine. I sure hope. My kids will swear I did it on purpose if they die. I asked the guy at the store for 2 females, but I would swear my sons looks like a guy. lol

-
 -

Karrie's Photos
by cookinmom on July 18, 2006 10:37 AM
Those things are tough. They'll be fine. My brother once had one in a bowl, and it never got fresh water and it was fine.

-
by Jiffymouse on July 18, 2006 02:43 PM
[Embarrassed] i don't usually let my water sit... but i do have very good well water. when i lived in an apartment, i used to let it sit 24-48 hours.
by Karrie on July 19, 2006 05:40 AM
Well they are in there today doing just fine! Thanks guys! I didn't want to be momma the fish killer. My kids are harsh! lol

-
 -

Karrie's Photos
by Jiffymouse on July 19, 2006 12:42 PM
[Big Grin] aren't all kids? mine sure are! glad the fish are making it [thumb]
by Sorathien on July 23, 2006 03:38 AM
there is absolutely no reason to let the water sit if you use a water dechlorinator. the only reason you MIGHT let it sit with now fish is if you didn't have a dechlorinator and had chloramines in the water, which take about a week to break down and gas off.

some might say you have to let it sit and "cycle" before adding fish, but this is false, because a cycle only takes place once the fish are added. a cycle is the process by which good, nitrifying bacteria grow a colony in your pond/aquarium once food has been introduced. these bacteria are present in the water at all times, but in very, very tiny ammounts. when ammonia from fish waste is introduced to them, they begin to establish a colony on the hard surfaces in the tank, usually the filter, but also in the gravel and on the walls, plants, and rocks. the first bacteria eat the ammonia and process it into nitrIte. both ammonia and nitrite can and will kill fish if allowed to get too high. that's why lots of water changes are necessary. once the nitrites start rising, a second type of bacteria will begin to establish and convert the nitrite into nitrAte, which is much less hamful. plants will use nitrAte for food (it is the first number in all fertilizers, nitrogen) and if the nitrate gets to 0ppm you may have to start adding fish-safe aquatic plant fertilizers.

in a fully cycled pond/aquarium there should be 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and less than 30ppm nitrate. now, even though the plants use nitrate, you STILL have to do regular water changes. in a large enough pond, you may only have to do them once a month, or once every two months. the smaller and more heavily stocked the container, the more water changes you have to do.

also, NEVER throw out the filter sponges. that is where your bacteria live. if you replace them, you have to start all over.
by cookinmom on July 23, 2006 04:59 AM
Wow Sorathien, that is very interesting info.
Thanks!

Good reason to have BIG pond!

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: water........| Next thread: water gardening »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: