The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

DIGGING QUESTION HERE!!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: DIGGING QUESTION HERE!!| Next thread: digging up gladiolas »
Back to Thread index
Pages: 1 2
by Nashir on July 18, 2006 08:36 AM
heh thnx!!!!...but guess wat...after filling it up with water, (and enjoying dipping in it!!!) i have decided, its better to use cement!! wut u all think..my dad has agreed to buy me cement [Big Grin] (its not expensive here anyways) so give me comments on wat u think, personally i prefer a cement one for it wont tear up or anything...
by cookinmom on July 18, 2006 08:45 AM
Good Job, Nashir!
You got that hole dug in great time!
[clappy]

-
Real women don't have hot flashes -- we have power surges!
by Nashir on July 18, 2006 09:02 AM
YUP! thanx [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
by Nashir on July 18, 2006 09:16 AM
I got a picture uploaded FINALLY [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
 -
by loz on July 18, 2006 09:18 AM
I think that your photo album must be set to private because it isn't showing the picture.... [dunno]
by Nashir on July 18, 2006 09:30 AM
Yeh loz i think u were rite [Razz] ... ill try again now hehe
 -
by Nashir on July 18, 2006 09:32 AM
actually ill just post the link [Razz]
My Pond!!!!!!!
by afgreyparrot on July 18, 2006 10:26 AM
WOW!!!!! [shocked]
You have really done some WORK!

You have a pond now! [grin]

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by loz on July 18, 2006 10:33 AM
Looks great! I bet you are so proud of yourself! [muggs]
by cookinmom on July 18, 2006 10:36 AM
Way to go! That looks great!

-
Real women don't have hot flashes -- we have power surges!
by Nashir on July 18, 2006 10:51 AM
HEHE THNX ALL!!!...you BET im proud lol...just need to get it cemented, then i shall decorate it [Smile]
must admit tho, ur help really encouraged me!!! [Cool] and i hope to take out the plastic and fill it wil cement, coz i thinks its going to be easy to maintain...thnx again for ur help!!, ill keep posting pictures [Wink]
by Jiffymouse on July 18, 2006 02:54 PM
you probably want to either put the plastic over the cement or under the cement. cement will hold the water, but not completely. you will get some seepage if you don't have a liner of some kind.

it does look very nice. i like the circle in the bottom. and, the rock you couldn't get up adds character.

if you can get some stones or rocks or bricks to put around the edge, it will be very nice [thumb]
by Nashir on July 18, 2006 10:26 PM
Thnx jiffymouse for the info....ONE BURNING QUESTION: Water evaported a lot today morning, sunshine from 6 am to 12 pm (now) and so much water evaporated? does this heppen to all of u? and if so, wut should i do??
by Nashir on July 19, 2006 03:13 AM
Any more information on Cement??? ..i could do with some help hehe...by the way, should i cement the Large border stones in too?? i have yet bout my filter..i will tho soon!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
by Nashir on July 19, 2006 03:33 AM
also, after about how many days should i take out the fallen leaves...i found like 25 leaves in today :| which i took out just now....THNX for all ur help again ppl..really appreciated!
by loz on July 19, 2006 04:06 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Nashir:
Thnx jiffymouse for the info....ONE BURNING QUESTION: Water evaported a lot today morning, sunshine from 6 am to 12 pm (now) and so much water evaporated? does this heppen to all of u? and if so, wut should i do??
Mine evaporates a lot in the summer.....a good inch a day I'd say...I just fill it up every night. [thumb]
by Nashir on July 19, 2006 04:17 AM
i got more pics up..plants this time ...u think these plants would be suitable around or iunside the pond???
My plants, that id like to plant! [Big Grin]

just luk at the pages around it, and tell me wut u think [Big Grin] thanks :thumbsup:
by eclo on July 19, 2006 04:27 AM
Whoa! Nice pond indeed! You have really been busy! [thumb] One thing about cement is it
can affect the PH of your water. Putting your plastic liner over the top of the cement will keep this from happening but I would say that if you put sand down first and you are careful when you are in your pond, (for cleaning or for cooling off) [tongue] you should be fine just like it is! About the evaporation. In the dry heat that you have there, I can imagine you will have much evaporation. Maybe an inch or two a day wouldn't be unusual. If it is much more than that, I would check for leaks. My small pond evaporates about an inch every two days or so. As for the plants, I am always trying new things and have found out that many plants that are not traditional "aquatic" plants will grow well in water. I have put 'creeping jenny', 'forget me nots', several types of ivy and mint family plants and I have had very good luck with wild strawberry growing in my small pond! I actually had some tiny berries on one of the plants. You have to do a little research tho because there are some plants that are "toxic" and can quickly foul your water and/or kill your fish. I looked at the plants you have pictured and one of them looks a lot like a type of mint. I would experiment a bit and dig a small plant up, make sure and get 'all' the roots. Rinse the roots gently with pond water in a bucket and put the roots in a small jar filled with pond water and put the jar in the pond with the lip of the jar just under the surface of the water. Every other day, pour the water out of the jar and replace with fresh pond water. If after two weeks or so you do not see any major rot or death of the plant or roots, you may then pot it in loose gravel in a pot and set it in your pond! Again, [Smile] GREAT JOB [Smile] on digging your pond and keep us updated with pictures!

See Ya in the Garden!
by Nashir on July 19, 2006 04:42 AM
thnx!!..i am hoping to dig the patch which aobut the same size as this rite next to the current pond, then i am hoping to make these two ponds into one...which is why i need cement and not plastic sheets, for cement would cost me less to take care of...another 3 days of digging or more then [Frown] anyways...ill keep u updated!!! :thumbups: talk to u later!
by Nashir on July 19, 2006 07:07 AM
hey elco...u got really nice tips in there!!!!..ill look in to that soons as i dig up the other part of my pond hehehe [Razz]
by Nashir on July 20, 2006 02:43 AM
oh man..im losing interest in digging..BUT I HAVE TO DO IT!!!...wish me luck [Big Grin] ...ill keep u updated!
by loz on July 20, 2006 03:22 AM
You can do it! [thumb]
by Nashir on July 20, 2006 06:34 PM
hehehe... i gave up everyone!!..but not to worry, i hired to gardeners to dig for me [Wink] ..hopefully they are going to finish off diggin in ONE DAY! (or they say) they will be here in 4 hours ... cant wait to see my pond dug and finished [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
by Nashir on July 20, 2006 11:56 PM
ALRITE!!!!.no just need to level up the land ..and all is DONE... stil gotta decorate and cement it all :| NOOOOO...i wanna see the fish lol..
by loz on July 21, 2006 04:06 AM
Wow, that was a good idea to hire people to finish it for you! [thumb]
by Nashir on July 21, 2006 05:39 AM
yeh loz it was.. ijust saw how imposible it was..hehe, anyways...i seriuosly need serious help..i bought a bag of cement... [Frown] no wut exactly do i do with it [Eek!] am real confused [nutz]
by loz on July 21, 2006 05:43 AM
You'll probably need a good bit of cement I would imagine.... [dunno]

Have you thought about what you would do if a crack forms in the cement and it leaks out water?
by Nashir on July 21, 2006 10:15 AM
id put more cement in lol.....hehehe
by loz on July 21, 2006 11:53 AM
I think that cement would be more costly than just using pond plastic or rubber. [dunno]

And if you get a crack in it then you'll have to bail all the water out and let it dry then fix it...

I hope it doesn't leak for you though. [thumb]

I can't wait to see it all finished.
by Triss on July 21, 2006 12:15 PM
Very good idea! Looking good so far. Cannot wait to see the finished ponds.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by Nashir on July 22, 2006 04:39 AM
dad bought me sum cement too today...tomorrow ill dwecorate and put in cement...anyone got any helpful website on making cement, and sticking it on, and cement pools??????????
by Nicksgram on July 30, 2006 03:39 PM
Your pond photos are great!! Good job! I can't wait to see the finished project.

Sharon
by Nashir on August 01, 2006 03:31 AM
HELLLPPPPPPPPP!!!!!! [thinker] pleaseeee.........does ANYONE know how to make the paste from cement??? [gabby] i dont know how to... and will it be water prooof, as in will water get soaked in?? pleasepleaseplease help...i haent made any progress!!! [dunno] [Frown] [thinker]
by Nashir on August 01, 2006 03:52 AM
and aalso i forogt to ask...would i find PVC pond liner in Carrefour.coz its the nearest big mart there is in my city??
by eclo on August 01, 2006 04:16 AM
quote:
does ANYONE know how to make the paste from cement???
There should be directions on the bag of cement but if there isnt, get you a wheelbarrow or a tub of some sort and pour the dry cement into it. Get a shovel and a trowel and a hose for water. Start off with just a little bit of water and start mixing it with the dry cement. For forming to the sides of your pond you want it of a consistancy of paste. Be careful because once you add too much water there is no going back so add water a little at a time until you reach the right consistancy. You must not waste any time during this mixing process as the cement actually starts to set the minute you add water. It may take a time or two before you get it just right. Practice with just a bucket full the first time to get an idea of how wet it needs to be to spread but not so wet that it sags down the sides of your pond. Good Luck! Lemme know how it goes.

See Ya in the Garden!
by Nashir on August 01, 2006 04:32 AM
thnx!!!!...i thought i had to add water and sand, and some waterproofing micxture [Frown] but now i know..hehe...ill think i might do this tomorrow, BEFORE i get change my mind to buy some liner [Big Grin] ...you sure that the mixture u made is waterproof?????

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: DIGGING QUESTION HERE!!| Next thread: digging up gladiolas »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: