The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

tropical floating plants native to africa

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Tropical Cake| Next thread: tropical hibicus »
Back to Thread index
by Sorathien on July 05, 2006 03:54 AM
i am setting up a 45 gallon freshwater aquarium. it is going to be a congo river biotope tank and thus far i have gathered up a list of several aquatic plants native to african rivers. however, i really want some floating plants as well.

does anyone know of some floating plants native to freshwater african rivers?
by ceceharpo on July 13, 2006 03:05 PM
http://fish.mongabay.com/biotope_african_rivers.htm

Sorathien, try this link. Sorry, I don't quite know how to post a link here, but this is its url.

Maybe you will find something here. A good read with lots of different African areas.

I have lived there, but sorry, can't remember any of my botany from there.

Hope this helps.

PS: your aquarium sounds really nice!

cece
by Sorathien on July 17, 2006 04:34 AM
yeah, i've already read that site. its where i found a lot of my aquatic plants, but they only list two floaters, water letuce, which gets too tall (i would have to drop the water level to accomodate it) and azolla, which i already have an amazon species of, since the african one is impossible to find.

the tank is going to have ammannia senegalensis, madagascar lace, aponogeton crispus, various anubias species, Zosterella Dubia (water stargrass), and a few other minor substitutions for some amazon plants that look very similar to relatives that ARE african.

the fish are going to be a Ctenopoma Acutirostre (leopard bushfish) and about 6 congo tetras.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Tropical Cake| Next thread: tropical hibicus »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: