The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

pond floors

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by langford on June 29, 2006 07:20 AM
Does anyone have anything at the bottom of there pond..sand..rock? any suggestions..
by cookinmom on June 29, 2006 08:51 AM
Just leaves and some dirt [Embarrassed]
I know I need to get it out, but the frogs like to hide in it!

I think rock would be beautiful!

-
Real women don't have hot flashes -- we have power surges!
by langford on June 29, 2006 10:16 AM
we have rock currently at the bottom of our pond now..and it seems to be doing just fine..but the pond we are going to be filling soon .is huge..i'd need like 30 bags of the stuff..hehe..it also holds icky stuff in it..
by Pianolady on June 29, 2006 03:13 PM
I don't have anything on the bottom of my pond, just the liner. Makes it easy to suck up the debris with a shopvac once a month, just takes about 10 minutes (but my pond's not that big). It takes a short time for the liner to get covered with a carpet of green algae, which looks natural enough for me.

-
by cookinmom on June 30, 2006 10:27 AM
OOOH Pianolady. I like that idea of sucking the crud up with a shopvac! Do you have snails or frogs? I wonder how the snails would fair going through the vacuum.

I can just see me sucking up the stuff and pulling up the hose, only to find a frog with his back stuck to the thing being sucked in! [Big Grin] Poor guy! He'd have a huge hickey on his back!

-
Real women don't have hot flashes -- we have power surges!
by Jiffymouse on June 30, 2006 03:21 PM
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] valerie, that is such a funny thought! but i agree, the shopvac is a great idea!!
by Pianolady on June 30, 2006 04:20 PM
I don't think I've ever sucked anything up in the shopvac. If you get one with a drain hole, you can just fill & drain if you have an area downhill of your pond where you can just open the drain & let it go. I highly recommend a shopvac with the larger tubing, and 25 gallons. Don't buy a smaller 10 gallon unless you're going to have to pick up the thing and carry it. Watch Black Friday sales after Thanksgiving. They were selling the 25 gallon one at Home Depot last year for $30! It's great & they were gone 5 min. after they opened.

-
by langford on July 01, 2006 04:10 AM
That is what i use as well at the end of the season and the beginning (shop vac) during spring & summer i use an old pool vacuum hose..works good

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: