The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

planting in my water hole

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Karrie on June 26, 2006 02:20 PM
In my old pond all I ever put in was water lilly's and some floating stuff. In my new water hole I want to put in Canna's I know I need a mesh pot but what medium do I use in the pots? Also can anyone suggest some plant life for my cascade pan, it will have to be short and potted so it stays there. Thanks ya all

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by langford on June 29, 2006 05:02 AM
Gosh Karrie, I figured someone would have answered this by now..hehe..i was waiting for an answer as well..hehe..i am suppose to be getting water plants in the mail from this guy on freecycle..still waiting..yes..ugh..but anyhow..they are free..so i guess i shouldnt complain..I was kind of curious what is the best type of pot i should use to put these in..and what kind of soil and stuff i would put in them..i've never done this before..all i ever have bought were the ones already made up for ya..hehe..
by cookinmom on June 29, 2006 09:02 AM
I ordered some pickerel rush once from Lilypons, and they said to plant it in heavy soil, and then put 2 inches of gravel on top, to keep the dirt from getting in the water. I guess just don't use dirt with peat or compost in it, or any of those little white styrofoam-looking things.

They sell plain old plastic pots with no holes in the bottom, but a book I have from the library says its just as good to plant in a plastic bucket and cheaper. That book said the dirt isn't all that vital, just something to hold the plant down, because the plants get most of their nutrients from the water and from fertilizer you give it.

I ain't no expert, but hope this helps! [flower]

-
Real women don't have hot flashes -- we have power surges!
by langford on June 29, 2006 10:12 AM
so do you actually need dirt..i wonder if you just put the plant in there with the roots just dangling if they would grow..i mean that is how you start another plant off of one you already have..hmmm..very interesting..very interesting..
by Karrie on June 29, 2006 11:19 AM
I believe some sort of medium is required. I will try to research it on my own. I figured someone would have some input on it. Thanks Cookinmom for your advice.

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: