The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

algae question

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Algae Problem...bad!| Next thread: Alien????? »
Back to Thread index
by cookinmom on May 28, 2006 04:47 AM
Anybody got any suggestions for getting rid of algae (if that is even possible)? My pond looks like it has green clouds in it. I keep scraping it off the top, and pulling it out, but it just keeps multiplying!!! Even the snails are getting algae growing on them! I actually saw one yesterday eating the stuff of another one's shell. Poor guys! I'm using the 'blue water' stuff, which seems to be doing absolutely nothing. I don't have any fishies right now.
I'm wondering if I should put all the snails in a bucket, take the plant out, and pump the whole thing out and scrub it. [scaredy] Any suggestions?
Oh yeah, it's the plastic molded kind, not a liner.

-
Real women don't have hot flashes -- we have power surges!
by Jiffymouse on May 28, 2006 05:03 AM
i've done that. but what works is making sure there is enough shade and oxegen plants to keep the algae down. that is the main thing. and getting enough flow in the pond.
by cookinmom on May 30, 2006 04:03 AM
Thanks Jiffymouse!
I do seem to remember that when I had more plants (especially the underwater kind, and parrots feather all over the top) I didn't have algae problems. The fish ate the underwater ones, but I don't really remember what happened to the parrots feather.
Sounds like it's time for more!!

-
by Jiffymouse on May 31, 2006 11:13 AM
the parrot's feather might have not made it through some of the cold snaps. mine didn't and it isn't a whole lot colder here than in jax.
by BrianD. on June 06, 2006 08:24 AM
Algae blooms are fairly common especially in a manufactured pond. It is a normal process for it to go through a "pea soup" stage. It is a lot harder to control in these types of ponds because of the small size. Usually you get the string algae in spring and early summer. It looks horrible and it is hard to get out. Paul Joseph the Gardening guy on HGTV found a devise that spins around and actually grabs the stuff--it was cool but I don't think practical. Just get some 'Algae Fix' and a powder formula of good algae from a local nursery or on line. The algae fix kills the algae (if you have fish be careful because the quick kill of algae depleates oxygen in hot weather)and the good algae powder equalizes your system. It means a little dedication but I have found that my pond only needs a few doses and it does well on its own after (the manufacturers package states use it all year round). Once your system finds its equilibrium you wont have as much trouble. Good luck. Ponds are great fun especially with fish. I recently found a leopard frog and some dragon fly nymphs in mine. It is a good sign that the system is doing well.

Brian D.
by Gardencrazy on June 06, 2006 08:50 AM
This is a touchy situation. Ponds need algea it just depends on the algea. There are good algeas and bad. The algea on your snails and the preform itself is good algea. You need and want it, it helps balance out the pond. Brian D is right about the water having to cycle. If you take everything out and scrub the preform then all you are doing is getting rid of the good algea you already have and it will be a bigger headache to deal with. Pea soup water is bad algea and so is string algea.
First of all what kind of filter do you have?
How big is your preform?
What size pump do you have?
Donna

-
 -
 - my webshots ~ my photobucket
by afgreyparrot on June 06, 2006 08:56 AM
I am watching this topic BIG time.
I have a lot of algae in my pond right now...
...and it looks awful.

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by cookinmom on June 07, 2006 04:46 AM
OK, the pond is roughly 100 gallons, approx 4'x2'x2' (I think), with 2 steps on the smaller end. I don't know the size of the pump but it's not very big, and there is no filtration whatsoever. Maybe that's part of the problem. The string algea was worse earlier in the year. It seems to be a lot less now. Now there is some fluffy yellowish-green algeae that floats on top and all around the sides. I've started using some stuff to clarify the water, that has the good bacteria and barley powder. And I'm adding fresh water once or twice a week, because we're having a very dry spell, and the pond will go down a couple inches a week just from evaporation, and it makes it hard for the frog to get out if it's too low. (I did actually see him sitting on a lily pad this morning -- just like in the storybooks!) [flower]

-
by Gardencrazy on June 07, 2006 08:14 PM
I love to watch the frogs. [Cool]

Not having a filter for your pond is a major part of the algae problem.

The fluffy yellowish-green algae is probably caused by the clarifier. The clarifiers are made to break down and clump up the algae. If you don't have a filter to remove it then it will just stay in your pond.

Here is a link to an easy and cheap to make filter. I have used a similar homemade filter in my 150 gallon preform for 5 years with no problems.
Adam's filter

Donna

-
 -
by cookinmom on June 08, 2006 04:50 AM
Thank you so much! I can handle making one of those filters. I had only seen the ones you buy, in the pond supply catalogs, but they are so expensive!

Sounds like combining a filter with the clarifier should pretty much clear up the problem. I had no idea there was good algae, so I'll quit worrying about that part.

Thanks so much, all!

-
by Gardencrazy on June 08, 2006 08:51 AM
These filters are easier and a lot cheaper to make then the ones in the stores. [thumb]

-
 -
by cookinmom on June 09, 2006 07:21 AM
OK, I went to KMart last night, and 14 bucks and an hour later, I had the filter filtering away in my pond. (I lucked out; I already had quilt batting, and my pond is little, so I didn't need Large of anything.)
The flow seems to be slowing down a little, so I'm on my way out to clean it out.
The water looks pretty clear already. I'm sure my froggy will be much happier! I'm getting siked now; I just might do fish again!
[Smile]

-
by Gardencrazy on June 10, 2006 07:39 AM
I am so glad it was easy for you to make and you already see an improvement.

You will have to clean it often until the water cycles and balances out. After that it shouldn't be but once a month. [thumb]

-
 -
by april womack on June 25, 2006 11:17 AM
I have had a bad algae problem also and here is what I did.

Local pond shop, bought product called string algae buster. Mix 1 Tbl. in a bucket of warm water per 100 gallons of pond water. Two applications and the algae is GONE. Cost is not bad, small 4.5 oz jar treats 800 gallons was $16. It is a live product once you mix it with warm water, so if you have UV sterilizer you have to turn it off. I also made one of Adam's homemade filter boxes as a pre-filter to save cleaning my pressure filter a bunch of times. Today I have dropped my water level about 1/3 and am letting Adam's filter do its thing for 24 hours. I also added a sludge digester to help clean up the gunk. It is also a live product. Tomarrow I will top off the pond and bring my ph back into control as well as add conditioner to make sure my fish are ok with the new water. The algae product does not harm your fish or plants. I could almost watch the algae go away, a product well worth the effort. I plan on periodically doing an algae kill, maybe about once a month just for maintenance. By the way, Adams filter is really great! I also went to walmart and got the stuff, set it up and had it running in no time. After I get things cleaned up I will pull it out and store it for some future disaster!
by cookinmom on June 25, 2006 02:50 PM
Using Adams filter and a weekly dose of clarifier has cleared up all my string algae. Yeah!

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Algae Problem...bad!| Next thread: Alien????? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: