The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

My new BIG pond!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: My new BIG pond!| Next thread: My New Cactus »
Back to Thread index
Pages: 2 1
by eclo on April 26, 2006 09:57 AM
Okay now... first and foremost let me warn you.... Our backyard paradise is in a shambles right now! The winter season along with some much anticipated but slow in coming additions and changes have left it looking pretty ratty! The beauty of this is, you will have the opportunity to watch our garden grow as I am going to try to keep progress pictures posted. Anyways, on to the good stuff! Here is what our backyard used to look like. The large pile of dirt is what was scraped off of the patio area to grade it for drainage away from the house. We used this pile to make a levy for the BIG pond. I have started building a retaining wall to hold back the levy. Here is another picture of the wall to give you an idea of where it is in relation to the rest of the yard. Then we started diggin' , and we dug , and we dug some more.... Okay, Okay, so it looks more like we were drinkin' I know, but really, we were diggin'. And then for a change of pace, we dug just a bit more! Okay, enuff of that... I will post more pics as we get more done! Oh... and here is a quick shot of our small pond from a couple different angles. More to come later!

See Ya in the garden! [wavey]

See Ya in the Garden!
by langford on April 26, 2006 10:07 AM
Hi Eclo...i have a quick question for you..what type of liner are you using?? I found this website..that this lady has and she said what she did has worked great (and very cheap) she used silo cap for the liner..and then she said to get carpet from like your lowes that they took out of someones house for the underlayment..i know it sounds cheap and strange..but heck if it's that cheap i might try it..just a little nervous..ya know? any suggestions
by SpringFever on April 26, 2006 11:44 AM
I heard the same think Lang!! this guy's gonna have the garden of eden in his back yard!

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by SpringFever on April 26, 2006 11:45 AM
I think that is gonna turn out incredible Eclo!

-
 -
by eclo on April 26, 2006 12:50 PM
I was thinkin about going to "Bend Tarp and Liner"... Google them... they sell by the square foot... [Smile] looks pretty good to me.... they sell to Fish Hatcheries and Golf Courses....

impermeable fabric liners.... big as you want and seamless! as cheap as .39 cents per square foot... [dunno] Never know.... Gonna cost a fortune if I go to any one of the Water Garden Specialty Shops around here... Also thought about havin it sprayed with "Gunnite" ...hmmm, again, did I spell that right? Anyway, the stuff they spray pools with... gonna get some prices!

See Ya In the Garden! [wavey]

See Ya in the Garden!
by SpringFever on April 26, 2006 03:14 PM
Gunite I thought was $$$$ But that is here supply and demand right? If you can afford it they will hike the price somehow.... The pics of you and your buddies "working hard" its awsome!! I'm sure you had a blast!

-
 -
by eclo on April 26, 2006 09:24 PM
Langford... What website were you refering to?... I am open to all suggestions and am shopping around... the old carpet thing sounds good cuz I see rolls and rolls of it laying on the curb all the time! And I LOVE to sidewalk shop! [Cool]

See Ya in the Garden!
by langford on April 27, 2006 01:56 AM
Eclo..the website ..yeah let me grab that for you..she says she has had this pond for 5 years..the silo cap is only 2 ml..but i'm thinking for that cheap..shoot..i'll triple that stuff up..ya know? i mean for real ..ok let me get that. www.littlecountryvillage.com/pond.shtml
now after you read this, please tell me what you think..cause i'm thinking about starting the search this week for this stuff..just want someone else to say..go for it !! hehe...or at least for someone else to say..it sounds like it will work..i don't want my garden paradise ruined by buying cheap(it's still only in my head, i'm sure it will turn out wrong or ruined) but for now..it's my pond paradise..i'm dreaming of animals flocking to my yard..nevermind the 1000 kids in the school they just built directly in my back freakin yard.....oh the joys..
by SpringFever on April 27, 2006 02:45 AM
That is really cool lang... I am gonna mark that spot for future ponds..

-
 -
by langford on April 27, 2006 03:42 AM
Spring,
Do you think it will work though? i mean it seems really cheap..but dang if it works..right? what do you think?
by SpringFever on April 27, 2006 03:46 AM
Eclo knows more about it than me ... I am sure he will respond with his idea [grin] It worked for the cheap lady [dunno]

-
 -
by langford on April 27, 2006 04:06 AM
That is what i was thinking...i mean 5 years and it's ok..i mean if it only last five years that is even fine..ya know...i can redo it then..i hope this works..i'm going to search online today at work for this stuff...oh ya..fun fun fun fun fun
by SpringFever on April 27, 2006 04:15 AM
Should work really

-
 -
by langford on April 27, 2006 04:41 AM
Ok...the search is now ON...oh ya....
by buzylady on April 28, 2006 03:04 AM
eclo, that guy there digging at your place looks familiar. My hubby wears bibs and a dew rag on his head just like that. What I want to know is how did you get him to do... ANYTHING? HA HA. Although the pic is about right. Sitting down.
just funnin with you. But that guy could really be him.

buzz buzz buzz  -
 -
http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k103/Di_06/
by langford on April 28, 2006 06:04 AM
Wow, wouldn't that be interesting..i mean for real..hehe..I forgot my dang pictures in my truck that my husband took to work with him..and so i can't post those right now of my watergarden...i also have some of the front of my house..and my back yard..which i thought about posting..but i'm not sure everyone cares to see that crap..hehe..then i was going to show everyone what they did to my backyard..by putting the freakin school right next to my property line.ughghghghghg
by SpringFever on April 28, 2006 09:11 AM
POST them lang everyone likes to see the pics!

-
 -
by langford on April 28, 2006 09:45 AM
Will do...sounds like i have a project for tomorrow..hehe
by SpringFever on April 28, 2006 11:42 AM
That'll give you something to do at work anyhow!

-
 -
by Karrie on April 29, 2006 02:26 AM
I looked at that link quite a while ago about the silo cap.........I lived in a rural community and couldnt find a silo cap anywhere.....which considering there were silos all over the place was odd. If you are able to find one let me know where.

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by SpringFever on April 29, 2006 02:57 AM
I could not find one either .. I looked online.

-
 -
by Karrie on April 29, 2006 03:58 AM
I did too. I couldnt find anything not even the grain elevators or cargill knew what I was talking about!

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by langford on April 29, 2006 05:13 AM
I did find it online..but here is something real interesting...did you see where she said..you could also use sheet plastic..that is very easy to find..and comes in thicker ml..really nice perk of this is..my husbands company has roles of the stuff come to find out..and well he just brought me home a roll for free..said i needed more..he'd get it..wow..cool..ya know? The sheet plastic..you can call ace for ..it comes in up to 10ml..i got 6 ml..so if i have to i'll double the crap..for free..right?
by Karrie on April 29, 2006 05:30 AM
I did it with that the first 2 years it was great and actually it would have gone on for another year if the kids hadnt knocked the rocks from the sides in to it and caused a leak. I went to a pet store that 2nd year they had a 14ft by 14ft liner on clearance for 79 bucks I got the liner the light and the pump in a box. It worked great for my 8ft by 10 ft pond I had built. What part of Indiana ya from Langford? I just moved from Indy to Tennessee.......I have a better growing zone but man am I home sick.

-
 -

Karrie's Photos
by langford on April 29, 2006 05:33 AM
I am about 3 hours north of you..i'm right off lake mighican...! Karrie, what size ml was the first liner you had? i hope this works..my only concern right now is..i am going around a tree..it's an ornamental tree and very small..so i'm not sure how i am going to do this..is there a way to connect the liners?
by Karrie on May 01, 2006 05:38 AM
Their is a water proof tape you can buy for the regular pond liners I dont know if it would work with the plastic stuff though. We put in 2 layers of 10ml. All I could find that thick was the clear stuff after we filled it with water it looked like a glass bottom. We put in 2 goldfish and those 2 fish have ended up stocking the pond to about 100 plus now. They have also withstood the cleaning and changeing of liners. Make sure you dig it deep enough and keep the water circulating if you plan on putting fishies in. I think around the tree will be beautiful. I just wonder if the roots will cause a problem with the liner of it he liner and digging will cause issues with the tree?

-
 -

Karrie's Photos
by eclo on May 02, 2006 04:47 AM
Heyas All.....

I looked and looked and never did find the 'SiloCap'. I have since talked to a friend of mine who used the 'rubber roofing material' that they use for underlayment on tar and gravel roofs.
It comes in rolls as wide as 50 feet and 100 foot long. It is 42ml thick and at .31 to .44 cents a square foot is about half the price of liners at the water garden supply places. AZPonds has some pretty good prices on a lot of stuff but I need to look into shipping prices.

See Ya in the Garden!
by loz on May 02, 2006 06:22 AM
My husbnad is a roofer....no wait---he was a roofer....for almost 10 years...he just started a new job today! [clappy]

Anyway, we dug my pond out last night and he used really thick roofing rubber to line the pond with....that stuff will never get holes in it..... [Big Grin] And it was free, that's the best part!
by langford on May 03, 2006 02:40 AM
Well i wish i would have known about the roofing rubber..although at that price (.34 cents a squar foot) might as well buy the pond liner..for as much as i need anyhow..right? but, we did get the other liner from hubby's work. it's 6 ml..thinking i'll just double it..right? i mean it couldn't hurt..then for the underlayment..we are using tarps. yes semi tarps..think that should work? i mean that **** is thick..maybe i should put something under that as well..i did consider the dang tree roots..but that tree is soooo small i'm thinking there aren't many roots..and if i kill the dang thing by digging..i won't cry i promise..it blooms these white flowers in the spring..and then they are gone for the rest of the summer..what the helk kind of tree is that..ya know? i have a tulip tree in my front yard..anyone seen one before..they are this states tree..whatever..and no one has seen this thing bloom before..(at least no one around here) and mine blooms..they look like tea cups..when it blooms this year i'll take a picture of it..very cool tree.but very ugly when it's not in bloom..hehe..anyhow.yes i do plan on putting fish in it..i've already got them in my little pond waiting to go to the big one..hehe..can't wait..
by Karrie on May 03, 2006 02:57 PM
I built my first house in a yard with 2 huge tulip trees in the front yard. One on each side of the living room. I loved it when they were in bloom. They are my favorite tree, we plan on planting 2 in my back yard on mothers day. I do so miss my tulip trees. I even had yellow sideing put on the house to mesh with the tulip blooms on it. Back on subject.....I believe I read somewhere that the black roofing rubber is not safe for fishies. Its not EPDM I believe. I am not 100% sure on that though but you might want to look in to it before putting in some fishies.

-
 -

Karrie's Photos
by langford on May 04, 2006 03:17 AM
Well then i guess i'll stick with what i have. hehe..Free plastic is good enough, right? So I was hoping to start that this weekend..IT"S GOING TO RAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think i'm just going to quit my job! Yeah that sounds good!
by SpringFever on May 05, 2006 02:06 AM
haha that is funny Lang ... you should be fine !

-
 -
by langford on May 05, 2006 03:39 AM
Alright...now remain calm..i'm about to tell you something that will drastically change my life...HAHAHAHAHAHA..the rain is off the forcast for the weekend...OH YA!!!!!!digging my pond saturday...hubby can play downstairs if he wants..but ME..i'm DIGGING...WOOOOOHOOOOO (I'll bet after this is posted..i check the weather again, and it's back on..hehe)
by Karrie on May 07, 2006 01:48 PM
Well how did the digging go today? Hope you got some of it done. I wanted to start hauling rock in to place to frame out the new beds I am working on but between the rain on and off I never got a chance to work on it. I gotta get it done soon I got about 50 day lilies on the way this week.

-
 -

Karrie's Photos
by SpringFever on May 07, 2006 02:17 PM
Ohhh my Karrie you gotta lot of work to do!! [shocked] [shocked]

-
 -
by Deborah L. on May 08, 2006 09:14 AM
Does the water have to be chlorine free, like for goldfish bowl fish? I'd like to get a tiny fish for the bowl I use as as a squirrel water feature and mini-pond, but I'd flush and fill with the hose, UNLESS fish have to have nonchlorine water. ???

-
 -
by SpringFever on May 08, 2006 09:53 AM
Deborah if you go to the pet store the sell the de clorinator drops so you can just add it to the water and plop in the fish .. I get the econo size cause I have the fish in the house and outside as well..

-
 -
by Deborah L. on May 08, 2006 09:58 AM
You mean those big koi ponds have dechlorinated water? I never knew that.
Maybe I'll just get a small waterlily or something.
If I hadda pick up a fish in a cup or something, I'd faint. [scaredy]

-
 -
by SpringFever on May 08, 2006 10:01 AM
YES they have to!
you could just let the water set for 24 hours as well it takes out the Chlorine Deb .. Chlorine is bad for fish it disolves the slime coat on the scales and allows bacteria to get in .. It is easy to do just get a net fish are easy friends ...

-
 -
by Deborah L. on May 08, 2006 05:39 PM
Eek, shiver, can't hang with it.....
Thanks though !

-
 -
by SpringFever on May 09, 2006 12:41 AM
not loving fish?? Try a little turtle or frog?
I love frogs !!

-
 -
by langford on May 23, 2006 04:27 AM
Well..i actually have been very busy at work, and although that is really no excuse right now as to why i haven't been able to post..it's the only one i have..no progress..my husband hasn't even looked at digging the pond..he refuses to acknowledge that i'm getting ready to do it myself..and that is not a good thing..he thinks this weekend he will finish the basement and then put up the new pool...all in one weekend..and my ? to him was just this...WHEN IS THE POND GETTING DUG??? right,, simple QUESTION...his remark..NOT THIS WEEKEND...so i'm doing it myself...I have decided i am sick of waiting..no more..nope..nada..he can do what he wants..i'll go rent the back ho..and start digging..(this ought to be interesting me..using a back ho..hahahahahaha)..i figure once i start tearing up the lawn..he'll step in..oh ya
by Karrie on June 04, 2006 01:56 AM
What part of Indiana are you in Langford? I just moved from there not too long ago. With all the clay in the soil in some areas you may need no liner at all. If you getting a backho you must be planning on going in pretty deep. You just might find a natural liner under that top layer of dirt.

-
 -

Karrie's Photos
by langford on June 16, 2006 10:53 AM
Hey Karrie, Again, it's been some time..i didn't use a backhoe..and i got regular visqueen liner..i'm hoping it doesn't tear..6ml..i'm from laporte IN..i have a bit of a dang problem though..i went around that tree..now i have to figure out how to connect the two sides under the water fall that will not leak..anyone..any suggestion would be helpful..i'll be back in the morning (to the site) i'm going to see my sister now..she just had a baby this morning!!!!!!!!!!!YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
by eclo on June 21, 2006 04:15 AM
Just thought I would update you all on my big pond progress! I got a roll of woven black fabric type stuff from a friend of mine and am using that for an underlayment. Im not sure exactly what this stuff is but I have seen them use it for erosion control along side the highways. It is tough as nails and should make a great protective layer for my liner. Here is a picture looking north and here is a shot looking southwest ! I think I am going to go ahead and spend the money to get a regulation liner. I dont want to have to do this again in 3 or 4 years [Eek!] Alright then, here is one more shot before we got all the underlayment set! Ill keep you all posted on more progress! [thumb] and Gratz on your neice or nephew Langford! [muggs]

See Ya in the Garden!
by loz on June 21, 2006 05:32 AM
Holy Cow, that is one heck of a big pond!!! I can't wait to see it all full up!! I'd love to have a pond that big! [thumb]
by Squirrel on June 21, 2006 07:06 AM
I would love to have a pond with a water fall feature, but we have a very small yard. So I come to this site to have my dream through you guys. I like reading about your adventures. And of course, I love to see the pix. [clappy] That is going to be one big pond. [thumb] Keep the pix coming. [Smile] Sue

-
 -
What goes around comes around, so be nice!lol
by langford on June 22, 2006 05:21 AM
Eclo, thanks for the congrats..it is a nephew..hehe..very adorable little guy..but of course he is..he has my genes..hehe..anyhow..how do you attach the liners so there is no leaking? this is my main concern.i haven't filled mine up because i can't get a darn answer from any stores or anything on how to prevent the leaking and like seal the liners?? any suggestions? anyone? it isn't the regular pond liner.it is visqueen..
by Karrie on June 22, 2006 02:45 PM
Lang, there is a tape you can get, it will bond the liner. You can get it at pond stores. There is a great store in Monrovia Indiana. We got some there a while back.

-
 -

Karrie's Photos
by Karrie on June 22, 2006 02:50 PM
Eclo, that is so impressive, give yourself a big pat on the back you deserve it. I think its best that you put in a good liner with that amount of work, do it right the first time, it would be ashamed to have to mess with the established ecosystem in that pond in a few years. I am sure it will be flourishing.

-
 -

Karrie's Photos

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: My new BIG pond!| Next thread: My New Cactus »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: