The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Solar Fountain Pumps

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Soil that knows it place| Next thread: Solar powered fountain pump »
Back to Thread index
by NightGarden on April 08, 2006 09:24 PM
Does anyone have a solar-powered fountain pump?

Just wondered about your experiences. [Wink]

Jean

~~~ Walk lightly on the earth. ~~~
by loz on April 09, 2006 12:16 AM
Ooo, me, me!!! [wavey]

I have one! I got it because I didn't want to have electric wires running outside.

I just ordered it a few months ago and I tested it out the other day in a bucket of water outside and it works pretty darned good! It only works when the sun is hitting it, when I'd make my shadow hit it it would shut off.....

Mine came with 3 different spray heads, and I can anchor it down to the bottom of the pond.

Here's a picture of it! I got a great deal on it.....$30! [grin]
 -
by angelblossom on April 09, 2006 04:29 AM
I wanted a water fountain out side but I don't have an electricity conection for outside I wasn't even aware that solar W F were even made gonna have to look that up [thumb] Thanks Loz!!

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by angelblossom on April 09, 2006 08:32 AM
wow I searched for solar fountains and found some great ones reasonably priced /Home depo has them but can only be purchased thru their catalog on line and are more expensive than other sites for the same thing Oh well the search continues..................

-
 -
by loz on April 10, 2006 12:39 AM
[thumb]

I bought mine online, you can find some really good deals if you check around enough.
by ceceharpo on April 10, 2006 10:51 AM
I have never heard of these solar ones either. I wonder if they make one with a solar panel that is not under the water. It would make it better for working in the shaded areas, you could move the panel but not the spray. Hmmm, should I be pattenting this idea? Nawww, I bet they're out there already. I must go look!! Great idea, thanks for the heads up Night Garden.

cece
by angelblossom on April 11, 2006 10:02 AM
Cece ........... Yes they already have them the solar panels have a 16-20ft cable connnected to sit in the sun so you can put the fountain anywhere within the feet of the cable. some of them I saw on my search were really nice!! I especially am looking at a colbalt blue pitchers that flow from one to another stairstep into a large basin I want it bad ! However Daughter and Grandkkids Coming for a visit in another month so right now all extra $$$'s are being saved for spoiling those munchkins' [kissies] But at least I know where to purchase them now!!! [clappy] [clappy]

-
 -
by Longy on April 12, 2006 04:09 AM
I bought one a few months back and it hasn't missed a beat. The pump is in a half winebarrel and the lead is 5 metres long so the panel sits up on a mini windmill where it can't be seen. Looks like the windmill is pumping the water in the barrel. Very cool.
Actually i was thinking about making a water feature in my shadehouse to help keep up the humidity.

-
The secret is the soil.
by flycats on April 15, 2006 12:56 AM
Oh I just posted asking about solar fountains! I guess I was in the wrong thread. My question is, I don't want one that goes in a pond with the plate and part that shoots up. Are you able to just connect the tube to a spitter statue, or is it permanantly connected to the pond plate so you have to use that part? Am I being clear or totally confusing? thanks!

The cat's asleep, I whisper "kitten", until he stirs a little and begins to purr.
by flycats on April 15, 2006 12:57 AM
In otherwords, I don't want the solar panel on the lily pad thing, I want the solar panel where you stick it into the ground, and the pump is just a pump in the water with a tube you can connect to any fountain of your own.

The cat's asleep, I whisper "kitten", until he stirs a little and begins to purr.
by morninglori on April 18, 2006 04:03 AM
You don't have to have a lily pad thing. I got a 1.8W pump (about 40 gph..gallons per hour) on ebay for $19 plus shipping. It has a little panel, a 20 foot extension cable, and a little submersible pump and black tubing. I ran it up a bamboo fountain head and it is happily trickling right now. It is very hard to find the low voltage ones. Most of the other ones are 5W and about $50-$120.

I am trying to find a wholesale dealer of these little pumps because quite frankly, they rock!

I want two more in different parts of my garden, so when the sun passes overhead from east to west, one fountain will stop and the next will begin. Cool, huh?
by flycats on April 19, 2006 05:20 AM
THANKS! Yes I saw those on Ebay and didn't know if it was worth it. Do you remember the seller's ID? Also, does the one you got have an on/off switch? I dont' want mine running all the time. THANKS for the info!

by Karrie on May 05, 2006 03:38 AM
Where are you all finding these really good deals? I cant find a decent price at all. The ones on ebay are a rip off for the shipping it more then the pump itself. I hate it when people charge inflated shipping charges.

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by langford on May 05, 2006 03:43 AM
Ok, I have a question about ponds & pumps myself..I have a 100 gallon pond, it has a pump in it..with a fountain thingy..and i need to know if i'm going to need a bigger one for my new pond..which will be 25 ft long by 18 1/2 ft wide..?? and do i need a filter..it has a little filter thing on the bottom of it..but i need to know what i really need for this. Any suggestions? Oh i found this double light for under the water..it was only 14.00 not bad..huh? it has these 2 little light sticks on them..don't know if it will be big enough though.ya know?
by Gardencrazy on June 09, 2006 05:28 PM
langford~ Sorry it took me so long to see this.

You will need a bigger pump and you will need a filter. Especially if you are planning on having goldfish or koi.

-
 -
 - my webshots ~ my photobucket
by Squirrel on June 10, 2006 07:29 AM
My son bought me a solar powered fountain for Mother`s Day. I love it!! The panel is not in the fountain itself. A wire from the pump to the panel allows you to put the panel in a sunny place and if you want you can put the fountain in the shade and it will still work. He got it on line from Sears. Go to www.smartsolar.com. I have the terra cota cascade. Don`t know about prices. Glad to hear you can just buy the pumps in case mine goes bad. [clappy] Sue

-
 -
What goes around comes around, so be nice!lol
by langford on June 29, 2006 06:03 AM
Ok..these homemade filters everyone is making..how do those work? any one, any one..bueller..bueller..hehe..sorry..anyhow..yes i am planning on koi and goldfish..i'm taking them out of my little pond to put in my big pond..they are going to be so excited..then i'm going to go get more..they will really love me then..hehe

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Soil that knows it place| Next thread: Solar powered fountain pump »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: