The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Feeding an army

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Feeding| Next thread: Feeding The Fish »
Back to Thread index
by Triss on November 29, 2006 05:30 AM
of birds that is...

I have had to refill the suet 3 times in the last 3 days. Birds are loving it. This was my flock this morning.

-

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by Thornius on November 29, 2006 06:52 AM
Your "Flock" is a swarming pack of European Starlings. These are exotic, non-native species to the New World that were first imported to Central Park in New York City in the Late 19th Century. They have spread from the tip of Alaska to the tip of Tierra Del Fuego in South America, much to the DETRIMENT of MANY New World bird Species. That being said, they are quite cute and rather pretty, especially in Summer when they turn an irridescent black with bright yellow bills and feet. In Winter they get a speckled appearance as shown in your photograph, Triss. They will QUICKLY eat EVERY speck of suet you have and then vanish without a trace until about five minutes after you refill your suet. They then return in force and bring more friends.

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.
by Deborah L. on November 29, 2006 07:24 AM
I didn't know that they turn colors. Ours here are ALWAYS black.

-
 -
by Triss on November 29, 2006 07:44 AM
Thorny, Yep, we had the starlings all summer long as well. I do not mind feeding them. They came and ate this morning and then left the feeders to the smaller birds this afternoon. I do need to refill the suet feeder but I sure do not mind watching them all gather on the tree like that. Kids loved it as well.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by Wrennie on December 16, 2006 05:12 AM
If you want the other birds to have a chance at the suet at the same time, you need an upside down suet feeder. Starlings cant hang upside down on them to eat.

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Feeding| Next thread: Feeding The Fish »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: