The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

What birds did you see today?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
Pages: 2 1 3
by Thornius on September 30, 2006 07:23 AM
Many of the birding forums I am on have a continuing thread about everybodies' daily bird sightings. If anyone here is interested I thought I'd start a similar topic here.

"Knock, Knock."
"Who's There?"
"Wattburds."
"Wattburds, who?"
"Wattburds did you see today?"

Today, at my feeders I saw:

HOUSE SPARROWS - 30-40
HOUSE FINCHES - 3
CAROLINA CHICKADEES - 5
CAROLINA WRENS - 3
BLUE JAYS - 5
TURKEY VULTURES - 2
TUFTED TITMOUSES - 4
NORTHERN CARDINALS - 5
MOURNING DOVES - 2
COMMON GRACKLE - 1
EASTERN GRAY SQUIRREL - 1
COMMON HOUSE CAT (OREO) - 1
NORTHERN MOCKINGBIRD - 2

And the highlight of the day; for the FIRST time EVER at ANY feeder I've EVER had:

GRAY CATBIRD - 1

That's 14 different species of birds and/or mammals at my feeder in about a three hour period. They ate approximately one pound (1/2 kg.)of black oil sunflower seeds. The birds are now starting into their Wintertime feeding patterns.

|\
/ * \
( >
Thornius )

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.
by Triss on September 30, 2006 07:25 AM
WOW! That is a lot of birds! I saw 3 crows in my yard today. They were enjoying the ends of bread I tossed out there.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by Mrs.Bradley on September 30, 2006 07:36 AM
I had to have seen a crow!! they are everywhere!!
a bluejay(stellars jay?)

who knows if I saw a seagull...so used to seeing them I dont even notice anymore.

-
 -
by Wrennie on September 30, 2006 07:48 PM
I had black capped chickadees, tufted titmice, white breasted nuthatches, downy woodpeckers{m&f}. mr cardinal, a carolina wren. I didnt do a count of them. The goldfinch were adults and begging juveniles.

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by Thornius on September 30, 2006 11:17 PM
Mrs. Bradley and Triss, Y'all might keep an eye out for Magpies. That is one bird that Wrennie and I do NOT have here in the East. I saw Magpies as a boy when I spent the summer in Mackay, Idaho.

-
 -
by Deborah L. on October 01, 2006 03:33 AM
Thorny !
I saw the neatest little bird yesterday ! I've never seen it before-ever. I'm wondering what it was? It looked kind of like a tiny mockingbird, with a long tail, but it wasn't a baby. And wasn't grayish brown.
It was on the fence looking at me, so of course I said, "Hi". (I always talk to wildlife). : )
This bird was maybe the size of three average hummingbirds, light creamy brown, a long skinny beak, and made a LOUD chirp/squawk. Loud for its size anyway.
I wonder what it was?????? I hope it comes back, it was soooooooooo neat !

-
 -
by Jiffymouse on October 01, 2006 04:51 AM
i saw a bird that reminded me of a crow, but it was dark tan/light brown with a black "jacket" on it. interesting bird, although i see them around here all the time.
by Thornius on October 01, 2006 09:21 AM
Deborah, you probably have a wren or thrasher. Do a Google Image Search. But make sure you are looking at birds in your area.

Jiffy, your bird may be a Grackle or Brown-Headed Cowbird. I'll do some further research.

-
 -
by Thornius on October 01, 2006 09:35 AM
Jiffy if you can get a picture or some idea as to size and other physical characteristics it could help.

Today I saw, at my feeders:

MOURNING DOVES - 2
HOUSE SPARROWS - 30-40
HOUSE FINCHES - 1
DOWNY WOODPECKERS - 1 FEMALE
NORTHERN MOCKINGBIRDS - 1
CAROLINA WRENS - 1
TUFTED TITMOUSES - 2
CAROLINA CHICKADEES - 5
BLUE JAYS - 5
COMMON HOUSECATS - 1 (OREO)

Oreo is a neighbor's black and white tomcat that visits me every day for a full body massage and ear scratching. he has a sixth sense about when I will be coming outdoors and shows up shortly thereafter. Of course, I've always had a way with dogs, cats, and rabbits.

-
 -
by Deborah L. on October 01, 2006 10:14 AM
Thornius !
It's a California Thrasher !
I found a great photo at the Audubon Watchlist.
Thanks to your suggestion, I found and saved the site.
I've never seen this bird in my life ! Interesting !

-
 -
by Thornius on October 01, 2006 10:17 AM
You might want to try eNature.com. too. They have an online database of every known living creature, plant or animal in North America. Most birders use eNature or Google Image Search.

-
 -
by Deborah L. on October 01, 2006 10:27 AM
Dang git ! Why didn't I think of eNature??? I'm backyard wildlife certified, and have that site in my favorites.
Only bummer-I can't add species and notes to my personal little page, because I don't know how to add a cookie thingie. [tears] [dunno]

-
 -
by Wrennie on October 01, 2006 07:40 PM
yesterday (brrr)
1 mourning dove
Mrs. cardinal
the same bunches of titmice, goldfinch, and chickadees
2 catbirds in the shrubs across the road, multifloras and honeysuckles,
Mrs rose breasted grosbeak in the shrubs behind the garage. multifloras & 'raspberrys
at work
a boatload of house sparrows. They nest all over town and love the crumbs and tble scraps from the restaurants

-
 -

-

by Wrennie on October 01, 2006 07:41 PM
oh, and turkey vultures are always a sight in the sky at work too

-
 -

-

by Jiffymouse on October 01, 2006 11:06 PM
i'll try for a picture today.
by loz on October 02, 2006 01:18 AM
I always have tons of house sparrows, but today I also had 2 Bluejays, a Cardinal, and 2 finches. I just started putting Suet back out yesterday too.
by Deborah L. on October 02, 2006 10:00 AM
I treasure all of my many crows and feed them well.
They earn it and deserve it.
They chase away the hawks that are after the wild rabbits. The rabs are special to me, and so when God sends the crows immediately when the hawks appear, it's so special - I know He's thinking of me. [angel] [Love]

-
 -
by Jiffymouse on October 02, 2006 11:10 AM
i saw lots of herons today. lots and lots. there is a pond/lake near where my husband works that we frequently drive by, and the trees were white with herons.
by Deborah L. on October 02, 2006 12:19 PM
We have cranes, white ones, like the cranes in Japanese paintings. They walk around in our streams, right in housing tracts.
Are herons cranes?

-
 -
by obywan59 on October 02, 2006 02:05 PM
This doesn't quite fit here, but a week ago, I had just returned from a vacation at Fairystone State Park here in VA. The cabin I stayed in was only about 20-30 feet from the lake, so I spent a lot of time out back at the picnic table with my binoculars. During the week I was there, I saw 23 different kinds of birds. The very first bird I saw was an osprey WOOHOO!!. I also saw:

mallards
great blue herons
crows
a family of bluebirds
nuthatches
titmice
a pileated woodpecker
a red-bellied woodpecker
a flicker
king fishers
green herons
a woodduck
pied-billed grebes
spotted sandpipers
a solitary vireo
American black ducks
a juvenile bald eagle
an unidentified hawk
pine warblers
a wild turkey
turkey vultures
Canadian geese
I also heard, but never saw, some chicadees.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by Deborah L. on October 02, 2006 03:07 PM
Awesome !

-
 -
by Mrs.Bradley on October 03, 2006 03:24 AM
Thorny,
havent seen any magpies to speak of. see lots of chickedees. the stellers jays come very close to the house and we see them often.

-
 -
by Thornius on October 03, 2006 04:14 AM
Obywan, the Solitary Vireo is now OFFICIALLY called the Blue-Headed Vireo. The name was changed about 10 years ago.

-
 -
by Deborah L. on October 03, 2006 06:41 AM
Wow, Thorny, you know birds !

-
 -
by obywan59 on October 03, 2006 11:54 AM
I didn't have much time to watch birds today, but I saw the normal crows, titmice and turkey vultures as well as some migrating birds: cedar waxwings, yellow-throated vireos and a blackburnian warbler.

quote:
the Solitary Vireo is now OFFICIALLY called the Blue-Headed Vireo. The name was changed about 10 years ago
I was a little irritated at Audobon, but then I saw that my field guide was published 12 years ago. [dunno]

-
Terry

by brightly on October 03, 2006 02:04 PM
I saw Cardinals, Eastern Bluebirds, Chickadees,
Goldfinches, a Heron flying over, Chimney Swift
(I think, or it was a bat!), Nuthatches, RH
Woodpecker and Doves and the one Hummer who is
still gracing me with its presence:)

The earth really does "laugh in flowers".
by Thornius on October 03, 2006 02:55 PM
They tried to change the Rose-Breasted Grosbeak to, "Red-Breasted Grosbeak", but the outcry was SOOOO great that they left the original name. I was very glad that they did. In the case of the Solitary Vireo changing the name to , "Blue-Headed Vireo", did not upset most of us too much. Most of us could never understand why this bird was "Solitary", but its head is VERY obviously blue, so the new name makes more sense and, IN THIS CASE, was a wise choice.

-
 -
by Thornius on October 03, 2006 02:59 PM
A Chimney Swift, Brightly! I haven't seen or heard one in a week or so, but am sure there are still some around. Nothing new or original in my yard today OR yesterday, but I DID see about 30 House Sparrows all on the tip-top branches of a Burning Bush, one per branch. It gave the bush the appearance of having spikes of feathered berries on the tip of each branch, much like the berries on an Elkhorn Sumac.

-
 -
by melcon6 on October 03, 2006 07:09 PM
I saw the kingfisher that hangs out down the street yesterday. I haven't seen it since spring, I don't know where he goes for summer, but I only see it in the spring and fall.

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by kennyso on October 04, 2006 04:56 AM
I am really jealous rite now! I realy want to see what you guys have seen so far! the only thing I've seen are some Canadian geese that haven't migrated yet and some crows. Occasionall some chickadee, especially when I get too close to the bushes, they flock out all together to escape! Oh yeah, and also tons of sea gulls!

-
 -

Blessed are the meek, for they shall possess the earth
My Website My Blog
by Jiffymouse on October 05, 2006 10:27 AM
house sparrows (i think) today eating the gribblies left by the students in the courtyard.
by gailo on October 05, 2006 08:34 PM
Actually it was late yesterday, I counted 12 flickers in my back yard eating bugs (thank goodness) [Smile] . They sure are pretty birds.

gailo
by faerywatcher on October 08, 2006 09:17 AM
2 rose-breasted grosbeaks!!! i've never seen them at my feeders before.

-
 -
Beyond this place, there be dragons!
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p212/faerywatcher/
by Thornius on October 08, 2006 01:41 PM
Durn you, Wendy! I've NEVER had Rose-Breasted Grosbeaks in my yard before!

-
 -
by Wrennie on October 08, 2006 08:03 PM
Does anyone do Project Feederwatch or the Great Backyard Bird Count, through the cornell lab??

-
 -

-

by gailo on October 08, 2006 08:16 PM
I did the backyard bird count last year. It was fun.

gailo
by Thornius on October 14, 2006 07:08 AM
Today's report:

HOUSE SPARROWS - 20
HOUSE FINCHES - 3
TUFTED TITMOUSES - 2
CAROLINA CHICKADEES - 5
CAROLINA WRENS - 1
DOWNY WOODPECKERS - 1 (MALE)
BLUE JAYS - 2
MOURNING DOVES - 1
NORTHERN CARDINALS - 5
COMMON HOUSECATS - 1 (OREO)

That is all.

-
 -
by obywan59 on October 15, 2006 02:34 AM
Yesterday morning I saw 2 Ruffed Grouse walking through what's left of my garden, and then up the bank before scurrying into the woods. I've only seen 2 before in the 12 years I've been here, although I've heard them drumming now and then.

-
Terry

by Thornius on October 15, 2006 04:03 AM
That's quite a sighting, obywan. I've only seen TWO Ruffed Grouse in my life. I saw both BEFORE I became a birder and one of those I shot as it was Grouse hunting season at the time. I no longer hunt but am not against hunting. I just no longer have a need to hunt.

-
 -
by Wrennie on October 15, 2006 06:39 PM
Yesterday morning:
a boatload of birds
OK lemme' 'splain. I went to put stuff in my truck, as I walked out a load of little birds suddenly flew up into the trees, a step later another bunch from the other side of the veggie garden, up into the trees, then as I reached the truck a third bunch from the other side of the truck where the big flower garden is. Too early in the morning, still bleary eyed, not enough tea... but i'm pretty sure they were juncos. Must have been 40-50 of them.

-
 -

-

by gailo on October 15, 2006 09:13 PM
Yesterday I saw a flamingo.
 -

gailo
by penny in ontario on October 17, 2006 12:56 AM
How pretty!!
Thanks for sharing [thumb] [flower] [thumb]

-
 -

-
by Wrennie on October 24, 2006 02:53 AM
Yesterday
A white throated sparrow
and a ruffed grouse at the side of the road just down from my property line.

-
 -

-

by Thornius on October 24, 2006 09:42 AM
AHHH, the White-Throated Sparrows will be here in a few days. I just LOVE their song.

-
 -
by Thornius on October 24, 2006 09:44 AM
My feeders were COMPLETELY empty today (all eight) so I filled them this evening, but didn't see any birds.

-
 -
by Deborah L. on October 24, 2006 11:49 AM
THORNY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I saw an owl !!!!!!!!!
My very first ever !
It was about 11PM, and I had just turned on the patio light to go outside for a smoke.
There was a big, round brown bird on the fence, and as I stared with amazement, wondering what it was, it turned and looked at me, and it had a white round face and cat eyes !!!!!!!!
Just like on TV !!!! I felt like I was in Disneyland - all magic and delight !
WHAT was it ?????? WHAT KIND OF OWL?

-
 -
by Wrennie on October 24, 2006 07:34 PM
A Barn owl.
Oh sorry you were asking Thorny. [lala] [Big Grin]

this face?
Coooooool sighting!

-
 -

-

by Deborah L. on October 24, 2006 11:53 PM
That's the one, Wrennie !
I just now got the creeps looking at the picture.
I did feel amazed as I said when I saw the owl, but it also gave me a creepy feeling. The face, maybe. Something.
I wonder how something can be fun but creepy-that's the same feeling Disneyland gave me and I never have gone back and wouldn't want to.
It was quite an experience though, seeing the owl on my patio fence.

-
 -
by Wrennie on October 25, 2006 01:00 AM
Their white faces are very ghost like arent they? Spoooooooky!

-
 -

-

by Thornius on October 25, 2006 04:29 AM
I've never seen a Barn Owl. I've just seen Barred Owls, Great Horned Owls, and Eastern Screech Owls.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: