The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

My Hummer's are gone!!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by gardenfairy on September 12, 2006 09:42 AM
The last time I saw all of them was the Sunday before Tropical Storm Elberto was to hit. It ended up missing us and going further north, do you think they left because of the storm? I did see one yesterday fly up to my feeder and take a look and then she flew off and I haven't seen anymore since. I had three that stayed at my feeders all day.

Monica

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
 -

God gave us memories so we can have roses in the winter.
by melcon6 on September 12, 2006 10:23 AM
Mine are gone too! [tears] [tears] I haven't seen them in two weeks, and the feeders have been untouched. [tears]

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by Thornius on September 12, 2006 10:34 AM
This time of year they begin to migrate back to South America. They will all be gone by the end of October. But Don't Worry, they will be back by the First of May, Maybe sooner.

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.
by buzylady on September 12, 2006 12:37 PM
I still have a few hummers. I have had to refill twice since the end of last week. They seem to stocking up. How much can something that small really hold? I thought they would be gone by now. It's getting colder now. My daughter had a frost warning last nite in Vermont.
Oh dear here it comes. (winter)
Diane

buzz buzz buzz  -
 -
http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k103/Di_06/
by Thornius on September 12, 2006 11:39 PM
I have seen hummers looking like small tennis balls with wings they get so fat. They get this fat because they fly non-stop straight across the Gulf of Mexico from Alabama to Venezuela in LESS THAN 24 HOURS!!! [shocked] They stay about 15 feet above the waves. They, of course, are unable to eat during this pheNOMENAL FLIGHT, SO THEY HAVE TO STORE AS MUCH ENERGY AS POSSIBLE TO MAKE IT.

-
 -
by Wrennie on September 13, 2006 01:36 AM
There was one in my garden yesterday morning around 9:30. i dont know the temp but it was chilly. BF said it was 36* when he got up at 4:00.

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by Thornius on September 13, 2006 01:49 AM
Thorn will return everybodies' Hummers for $1,000,000,000.00 in cash and some really GOOD beefsteak tomatoes.

-
 -
by loz on September 13, 2006 03:00 AM
[Big Grin] [thumb] [Big Grin]

I still have some here.....makes me sad that they will be leaving though, I watched that migration map earlier this year like a hawk to see if they'd made it into my area yet...
by LandOfOz on September 13, 2006 03:05 AM
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] Thorn, darn it, I only grew Romas!

My hummers are gone too, along with every last drop of nectar in the feeder. I've refilled it but they definately haven't been back. It's gotten rather chilly here as well--in the 60-70's and it is usually in the still in the 90-100's. I'm hoping a few will stop by on their saga south and have a sip of my yummy nectar!!

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by porter57 on September 14, 2006 08:00 AM
mine are still here in st louis!!
by patches1414 on September 14, 2006 01:35 PM
Well, mine are still hanging around here, [Wink] but I guess that's no surprise since I live near St. Louis too! Boy, I really hate to think of them leaving pretty soon [Frown] because I have enjoyed them so much this year! Geesh, Porter, I guess we'll both be losing them at about the same time! [Roll Eyes]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by TulsaRose on September 14, 2006 07:09 PM
The little beauties are still here and getting fat as pigs feasting on the crimson Salvia and the Rose of Sharon shrubs. [Wink] I was watering very early yesterday morning and a mist was rising from the ground (it was 54 degrees outside) and they were enjoying flying through the mist. I guess they thought it was their personal sauna. [Wink]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by porter57 on September 15, 2006 06:51 AM
no doubt... i am seeing fewer of them and the feeders arent going down as fast!
by patches1414 on September 16, 2006 05:34 AM
quote:
i am seeing fewer of them and the feeders arent going down as fast!
I know, Porter, I'm noticing the same thing here, [Frown] so I'm content to enjoy the ones which are still coming around while I can. [Smile] It's so sad to think of them leaving for the winter, [Frown] but I can just look forward to their return in the spring. [Wink] Of course, I guess we shouldn't be selfish about this because I'm sure that many other people want to enjoy them like we do, too! [Big Grin] I just know I'm really going to miss them when they're gone! [tears]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by Deborah L. on September 16, 2006 08:11 AM
Monica, I love your banner and your signature.
Wish I could think of a good one too.
My hummers out here stay here.
They love best my lavendar color penta blooms.
Do you all feed the other birds in winter?
I'd freak out to see those big red birds you all have. Simply freak out.
Don't be bummed about winter-you'll all have beauties I have never seen !
Snow, frost on the trees, colorful birds, "real" holiday weather, the works !
[wavey]

-
 -
by Thornius on September 16, 2006 08:35 AM
Start Freakin', Deb!

BIG RED BIRD IN SNOW
 -

-
 -
by Thornius on September 16, 2006 08:36 AM
OOPS, a little TOO big.

-
 -
by patches1414 on September 16, 2006 08:58 AM
What a beautiful bird, Thorny! [thumb] Thanks so much for posting this picture, because it made me feel so much better! [Wink] I've had cardinals all summer and I enjoy them too, but I tend to forget just how gorgeous and regal they look when they are out there in the white snow. [Smile] They are such a beautiful sight to behold and it always warms my heart! [Love] Boy, mine sure can manage to go through a lot of food in the winter! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
by Deborah L. on September 16, 2006 10:39 AM
Thorny, thanks ! That's the one.
Now see, that's what I meant-all the beauties I can only imagine !
I'm a native and loyal, but gosh, when people talk about the weather here-I say, send me some of that colorful wildlife and some frost to sparkle on a branch, and I'll bottle some sun for ya !
For the record, every summer I literally count the days until fall-the sun cooks me to DEATH !!!!
[Mad]

-
 -
by Thornius on September 16, 2006 12:04 PM
I HATE, HATE, HATE, Summer! I like to sit in my beach chaise lounge on my front lawn in my bathing suit with a glass of iced tea, and watch the snow accumulate on my bare chest and the frost crystals form in my beard. ONE WEEK 'TIL AUTUMN!!!!!

-
 -
by Thornius on September 16, 2006 12:08 PM
I spent the Summer of 1972 in Los Angeles and San Diego, Deborah. I know what you are talking about. When I wasn't attending school I was at San Clemente learning to surf. And I didn't wear a wet suit either.

-
 -
by Deborah L. on September 16, 2006 12:16 PM
Hope you liked us-we're not as weird as you may hear.
I hate summer too ! Especially here. Rain is a treat, believe me. And we always hope for a cloudy, chilly Christmas because it's the closest thing we get to a "real" Christmas.
Nothing stranger looking than our fresh wreaths cooking in the sun on the front door.
But it's my home and I'm happy. Proud to be a third generation native too.
But still....... those red birds and a beautiful frost......... and sledding ! Oh, wow !

-
 -
by Thornius on September 16, 2006 01:01 PM
We got a LOT more snow in the 1950's and 1960's when I was a boy here in Tennessee. We averaged 20-40 inches of snow each Winter. Now we average 2-5 inches of snow each Winter.

-
 -
by Thornius on September 16, 2006 01:14 PM
You get the MOST birds at your feeders when it snows. As soon as I see it falling I grab my camera and pockets full of AA's and hit the fields. The rare and unusual birds show up at my feeders then. The ONLY time I get Ruby-Crowned Kinglets and Red-Bellied Woodpeckers at my feeders is when it snows. Then they flock to my suet cages. Winter is the time that Dark-Eyed Juncos, commonly called Snowbirds, are here and they flock to the feeders when it snows. Also the Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, a Woodpecker, is here in the Winter ONLY. They do not eat seed or suet much, but instead drill holes in the trunks of trees and drink the sap that oozes out, hence their name. Many of the trees in my yard have perfect rings of holes drilled around the trunk spaced about 1 inch apart. It doesn't hurt the tree; it actually seems to be BENEFICIAL to the tree.

YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER (MALE)
 -

SAPSUCKER HOLES
 -

-

-
 -
by Deborah L. on September 17, 2006 01:12 AM
Hmmmmmm......... I wonder why drilling wouldn't hurt and could actually help-always wondered why drilling and draining the sap from sugar maples wouldn't damage the tree.
Maybe not the drilling, but it seems like being drained of sap would harm a tree if not actually kill it.
Hey, it would be so neat if someone knows the answer to this !

-
 -
by faerywatcher on September 20, 2006 09:22 AM
mine are gone too as of sat. [Eek!] [Eek!] i have dreaded this for weeks but now i guess i will focus on the other birds. winter is just round the corner and they need me now!

-
 -
Beyond this place, there be dragons!
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p212/faerywatcher/
by faerywatcher on September 20, 2006 09:25 AM
gee, sorry guys, i seem to have posted to the prior page about hummers. now i really feel lost.

-
 -
by Thornius on September 20, 2006 09:52 AM
My Hummers left about a week or two ago also, Wendy. I thought you were in Jackson Colorado, But I see you are in Jackson County Tennessee. I am in Hermitage, Tennessee and live one mile east of Andrew Jackson's mansion, The Hermitage. We have at least three other Tennesseeans here that I know of, two in Dyersburg, and one in Knoxville. AFGREYPARROT, Cindy, is nearby in Kentucky.

-
 -
by faerywatcher on September 20, 2006 10:12 AM
yes, it really is a small world! i was born and raised in madison. my parents bought a log cabin out here about 4 years ago, and we followed about 2 and half years ago. you are in my old stomping grounds! after being in the country now, i dont miss anything of there, is that bad?

-
 -
by Thornius on September 20, 2006 10:54 AM
Igraduated Madison High School in 1970.

-
 -
by faerywatcher on September 21, 2006 04:19 AM
oh my goodness! i hated madison high! so, did you go to amqui elem. as well? all of my family as well as me attended both those, however, my son went to goodlettsville elem. and dupont hadley, then graduated out here. we lived off of anderson lane right behind peterbilt. you missed graduating with my mom and dad, but maybe my aunt, then, lydia hedge. maybe she sounds familiar? that's so wierd that i found a "neighbor" on line. [Big Grin]

-
 -
by Thornius on September 21, 2006 05:05 AM
I remember Lydias name. I went to elementary school in Johnson City and Chattanooga, TN and moved to Madison when I started Junior High. I lived on Old Hickory Blvd., locally called Halls Lane, about two blocks west of Madison High.

-
 -
by faerywatcher on September 21, 2006 08:09 AM
yeah, that was her maiden name, she is still in madison and comes out to visit occasionally. i lived there all my life and did'nt know it was called that! i do remember when they widened OHBlvd., and kroger used to be a grocery store called giant food. does it matter that we are talking out of subject on this site? gonna go check out other rooms here. [thumb]

-
 -
by Jimmyjojo on November 29, 2006 12:16 PM
This is such a good thread I just had to add my two HB cents [Wink]

The last day I saw my HB was on October 26, and it now seems like months ago. [Frown] Winters are hard here for Hummer-addicts.
by Thornius on November 29, 2006 12:30 PM
Jimmy, look for your hummers to return around the end of April or first of May. I am in Tennessee, and ours return around the first to middle of April, although I didn't get one in my yard until the middle of July this year; and soon ended up with FOUR! They left around the middle of September. I planted RED Cannas this year and I think that is what brought them in.

-
 -
by Jimmyjojo on November 30, 2006 10:16 AM
I'm gonna try the cannas next year. They're one of the few tropicals we can buy here.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: