The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Glass door + hummingbird = stunned!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Glads| Next thread: Glass or Plastic? »
Back to Thread index
by Dixie Angel on September 06, 2006 02:30 AM
Poor thing. I was sitting inside the den reading a book when I heard a thump on the patio door. Looked up and saw that a female had flown right into the door and was lying on the deck.

I went outside to pick her up and saw that she was still breathing. I took her inside with me to get the camera and snapped this picture inside...

-

Going back outside, we sat on the porch swing and she was trying to figure out how to get out of this mess she had gotten herself into...

-

When she started stirring around and looking like she was going to get ready to make a run for it, I went over next to the railing on the deck...

-

Another picture next post...

Dianna

-
 -
by Dixie Angel on September 06, 2006 02:34 AM
The other hummingbirds started zipping by us and chattering. Her little head was just bobbing back and forth trying to locate them.

After deciding that I was a "friendly" and really WAS going to let her go, she spread her wings and lifted off...

-

Out of curiousity, how do you give a hummingbird CPR? Anyone know? What can I do to keep them from running into my glass doors while the blinds are open?

Dianna

-
 -
by penny in ontario on September 06, 2006 03:06 AM
Incredible pictures Dianna.... [thumb] [thumb] [thumb] WOW!!!!!!!

-
 -

-
by kennyso on September 06, 2006 04:28 AM
to keep any birds from flying into your doors I was told once to put a silhouette up of a bird (any type) but I'm not too sure if it's a good idea if your feeder is next to a window cuz it might scare everything away. My second trick is to cut some ribbon and take maybe three or four that are a few inches long and when the birds see them flutter in the wind, they will avoid them (again don't think it's a good idea hen your frreder is next to your door)

-
 -

Blessed are the meek, for they shall possess the earth
My Website My Blog
by jakesangel on September 06, 2006 05:12 AM
Oh the poor thing! What awesome shots tho! You saved her. [Smile]

-
Country Roads  -
by Triss on September 06, 2006 05:17 AM
Dianna, those are some awesome shots! That you caught her taking off is just the coolest!

As for the window, maybe seasonal window decals? My MIL uses them so the kids will not run into the closed glass doors.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by Thornius on September 06, 2006 06:06 AM
That appears to be anANNAs Hummingbird, Dianna.

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.
by plants 'n pots on September 06, 2006 06:29 AM
WOW Dianna - wonderful pictures of a terrific rescue!!!

Thank you so much for sharing them with us!
I have also heard of putting decals on windows if birds tend to fly into them. We've had a few instances where they have bonked themselves on the sliding glass doors, but each time, they've managed to get up and off by themselves. Except for the poor chickadee who sat stunned in the deep snow out on the deck one time, before flying away. It was too cold for us to go out, plus we couldn't even open the door because the snow was piled up against it, and we were so afraid that he was done for! Thankfully he was just getting his bearings again, as you had written.

Thanks again for having such a big heart for such a small friend! [kissies]

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by DowntoEarth on September 06, 2006 12:40 PM
Great Shots! Glad the little hummer was ok enough to fly away!
Wow! It must have been something to have her in your hand! I'll bet she was as light as a feather! [thumb]
by Dixie Angel on September 06, 2006 08:07 PM
Thanks for the all the comments and tips!

I feel fortunate to have held the little thing in the palm of my hand for that few minutes. I don't know if SHE felt fortunate or not until she found out that she could REALLY leave and not be held back.

I am just glad that Angel was in her side yard instead of on the deck when the hummer hit the glass. She would have thought it was a new play toy. When I let Angel onto the deck, I didn't show her the birdie because I didn't want her to start jumping up and giving the little hummer something else to worry about.

I will be looking for some decals this week and, hopefully, that will solve the problem. I will be putting something fluttery out there in the meantime. I sure would hate for something to happen to one of them. They are such sweet little creatures...

Dianna

-
 -
by Wrennie on September 06, 2006 08:11 PM
Dianna, decals work. So would Kennys ribbon idea. Hang chimes, a windsock anything that will break up the reflection of the sky or trees, or will provide movement in front of the glass. Theres a deterrent decal that looks like a spiderweb, one thats heavy fishing line with some feathers tied to it. I even have some that are almost invisible to us but birds see different lightwaves than us and they see them clearly.

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by Wrennie on September 06, 2006 08:12 PM
PS can I put your pictures on my website? [grin]

-
 -

-

by Dixie Angel on September 06, 2006 08:15 PM
You are more than welcome to the pictures, Wrennie! [grin]

The stuff that you are talking about being invisible to us, what is it? I might would be more interested in something like that to put on the glass...

Nat, I lookes up the Anna's hummingbird and it looks like that, but would one of that type be so far east? Remember, I live in SC...

Dianna

-
 -
by Wrennie on September 06, 2006 08:21 PM
There are birds that pass through on their migration and every now and then a species thats not usually here can get 'lost'.

Let me see if I can find a picture of the 'invisible' decals.....

-
 -

-

by Dixie Angel on September 06, 2006 08:22 PM
By the way, my feeders are not next to the doors. The back feeders are located at the bottom of the steps about 20 feet away.

The hummingbirds around here are constantly playing/fighting with each other over the feeders. I have three feeders set up for about 12 birds. Two are in the back yard by the deck steps and one is in the front by the front steps. I have thought about putting more feeders up, but think they would still play/fight over them. I fill all the feeders every day with fresh nectar...

Do you think I need more feeders?

Dianna

-
 -
by Wrennie on September 06, 2006 08:28 PM
Yay pb is back up. Ok here:
 -
I sell them at my store.They come in leaf shape or hawk shape. I dont know if big box stores would have them ( or even know what to do with them [Big Grin] )
You can put up 100 feeders and they'll still 'bicker' over the feeders. They're defending their 'flower patch' They need and use so much energy they have to defend their patch to be sure they have enough nectar. they dont seem to get we'll just make 'em more [grin]

-
 -

-

by Dixie Angel on September 06, 2006 08:36 PM
quote:
every now and then a species thats not usually here can get 'lost'.

Shouldn't my hummer have been a male, then? [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

quote:
They're defending their 'flower patch'
I have 9 hanging baskets with impatiens and marigolds out on the back deck, too. Greedy things, aren't they?

quote:
I dont know if big box stores would have them
I will be PM'ing you, Wrennie!

Thank you for answering my questions...

Dianna

-
 -
by Dixie Angel on September 06, 2006 08:48 PM
Wrennie, I found Window Alert in the Foster's and Smith catalogue.

I would rather order from you, though, if you wouldn't mind shipping them to me...

Dianna

-
 -
by floweringchild on September 07, 2006 01:55 AM
Hi Dixie Angel! [wavey]

Wow! That must have been really something. I would have been afraid I would hurt the poor fella since he is so very small and fragile. You are a brave woman! So glad you came to the little hummer's rescue. Your pictures are incredible. You must have a steady hand too to capture those shots.

I've had sparrows do the same thing at my french doors. Once I thought one was dead but after some time passed, the bird flew away. [Wink]

Yeah, put more feeders up, the more the merrier! [Love]

-
 -
by Tomacco on September 07, 2006 06:33 AM
Ohmigod! To have those tiny feet in your hand! She's just beautiful [Smile] You are SO lucky (and so is she)! Your pictures are wonderful! [flower]

Tomacco

That coffee was so strong, it swallowed the cream...
http://s98.photobucket.com/albums/l268/Tomacco1/
by LandOfOz on September 07, 2006 11:17 PM
I was reading an article about Hummers getting stuck in garages and the article said that a hummingbird (in flight or just frightened) would starve to death in about 30 minutes. It went on to say that an injured hummer should be held next to a feeder so it can eat if it needs/wants too.

What wonderful pictures!! I can't believe you have a dozen birds, that is amazing!! I've got 2 hummers and would love to have ten more. Lucky you!

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by Karrie on September 08, 2006 09:57 AM
We used to get them in my neighbors garage all the time. She and I would spend 10 to 20 minutes trying to get them out. I figured out that they were going in after the lil thing that hangs from the garage door. It was red, they though it was a feeder. She took it down and said she hasn't had another in there since. I had one sitting in my hanging basket I didn't know he was there and shot it with the water house to water it, he was not happy with me. I knocked him right out I felt so bad. I picked him up and put him on a tree branch in a few minutes he flew away. I never even thought about taking pictures.
Glad you gave her a helping hand so to speak.

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by Thornius on September 08, 2006 10:26 AM
I have two fighting each other at my big feeder. Hummercane Camille, and a new female that is so dark ALL OVER, That I named her Black Betty after the song by the rock group, Humble Pie. Betty sits quite close to me on a branch of my willow for most of the day and does the cutest things.

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.
by Tonya on September 08, 2006 08:16 PM
Awesome pics Dianna!! That takeoff pic is AMAZING!!! Lucky devil, you!

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by patches1414 on September 09, 2006 01:38 AM
You're an angel, Dianne! [angel] I'm so glad you were able to rescue the Hummer and send it on it's way. What an awesome experience to hold such a delicate creature in your hand. [Wink] Those were some beautiful pictures and I loved the take-off! [Love] Thanks so much for sharing them! [kissies]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by loz on September 11, 2006 05:24 AM
WOW Dianna! Simply incredible! [shocked] [clappy] [thumb] [wavey]
by Dixie Angel on September 14, 2006 09:02 PM
quote:
You must have a steady hand too to capture those shots.

Those were the best of the bunch of pics I took, flowingchild. Had a few more, but were too blurry to post... [Wink]

quote:
You are SO lucky (and so is she)!
She was very lucky, Tomacco! My little Angel is on the deck sometimes playing with her ball and she would have thought that she was a little stuffed animal to play with... [shocked]

quote:
It went on to say that an injured hummer should be held next to a feeder so it can eat if it needs/wants too.

That is some good information to know if it ever happens again, LandofOz. I would guess that I held her about 20 minutes. Wouldn't have been good for her to starve to death right in my hand!

quote:
I never even thought about taking pictures.

I am amazed that I thought about it, Karrie! What made me remember was thinking that Jim and Aunt Bonnie would never believe it, if I couldn't produce pictures! [Big Grin]

quote:
Hummercane Camille, and a new female that is so dark ALL OVER, That I named her Black Betty
Thornius, I just love the names of your birds! Very cute names for the little critters... [grin]

quote:
That takeoff pic is AMAZING!!!
Tonya, I just wish I could have caught a picture of what looked like her telling me "thank you" after she took off. She turned around and hovered for just a few seconds right in front of my face after I released her. [Cool]

quote:
What an awesome experience to hold such a delicate creature in your hand.
Patti, it was a humbling experience to me. I was so amazed at how tiny she really was. I KNOW that hummingbirds are wee, little things, but to hold such a tiny creature in the palm of my hand...

quote:
Simply incredible!
It was incredible, Loz. And any other adjective that you could conjure up!

I think my hummers are flying south now. I have only spotted two at the feeders in the last couple of days. I will miss them while I am outside working or sitting on the deck...

Dianna

-
 -
by Dixie Angel on September 19, 2006 07:45 PM
Well, all but two of my hummers have flown the coop! [tears]

I am wondering if one is the female that hit the door and if she is still recuperating and if the other stayed behind to take care of her? Do birds do things like that?

I sure will miss 'em when they migrate, too...

Dianna

-
 -
by Tomacco on September 19, 2006 08:23 PM
Three weeks now and my hummers have definitely 'flown the coop.' I chastised them for not leaving me a note they were going. I mostly miss them arguing over who has feeder rights, zooming around my head, or coming over and hovering right next to my face (like they're trying to tell me a secret). Of course, I'm holding my breath in awe as they stare me down!

I'll know they're back because they always come the window (wherever I am in the house) and hover, as if they're looking for an old friend [Smile]

Not to worry, they'll be back in no time and that's our qeue to get back out in the garden!

Tomacco

That coffee was so strong, it swallowed the cream...
http://s98.photobucket.com/albums/l268/Tomacco1/

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Glads| Next thread: Glass or Plastic? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: