The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Orioles

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Oriole| Next thread: Ornamental banana »
Back to Thread index
by ladystressout on August 15, 2006 05:47 AM
I was looking through a catalog that carries birds stuff and notice a feeder for orioles which I do not believe we have them in Ohio but wonder is there nectar the same as a hummingbird nectar?
by debnoel on August 15, 2006 07:07 AM
I was in Wal-Mart looking for hummingbird nectar and I did see Oriole nectar. It was in liquid form that you added water to. It was orange. I would have gotten a feeder and nectar, but I really needed another hummingbird feeder for the back yard.
by Thornius on August 15, 2006 07:29 AM
Orioles ARE in Ohio. In the summer, Ohio gets both eastern Oriole species: Baltimore Orioles and Orchard Orioles. Orioles LOVE fruit, especially orange halves and cheap grape jelly. They are also QUITE fond of nectar and there are commercially made Oriole nectar feeders and nectar that closely resemble Hummingbird feeders. I have birded fanatically for 18 years but haven't seen that many orioles. The last oriole I saw was a male Orchard Oriole about 2 miles from my house 2 years ago. The last Baltimore Oriole I saw was outside a beauty salon about 8 years ago. I am in Tennessee and the most common Oriole we have is the Orchard Oriole. They are fairly common but are "local", meaning they are not found everywhere, but are found in SPECIFIC habitat areas. Orchard Orioles like brushy, overgrown fields with lots of small trees about 10-20 feet in height, especially near water. Baltimore Orioles tend to prefer old-growth forests (huge mature trees).
Both Baltimore and Orchard Orioles are Migratory and are found in Tennessee and Ohio in late-Spring through early-Autumn.

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.
by Wrennie on August 15, 2006 07:35 AM
Oriole and hummingbird nectar is basically the same. The orioes is usually a bit stronger.

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by gardenfairy on August 15, 2006 08:37 AM
I wish we had Oriole's here.

Monica

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
 -

God gave us memories so we can have roses in the winter.
by Thornius on August 15, 2006 09:44 AM
You do have Orioles, Monica. Coastal South Carolina has the Baltimore Oriole in Winter, and the Orchard Oriole in Summer, although I suspect that you probably have some Baltimores all year in your area.

-
 -
by gardenfairy on August 15, 2006 10:19 AM
Really?!?! I didn't think that they were this far south!!! I will have to put something out for them!! Maybe some orange slices. I have a question though, if I put out orange slices or some grape jelly, any idea how to keep the ants away?

Monica

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
 -

God gave us memories so we can have roses in the winter.
by Thornius on August 15, 2006 11:46 AM
That's your problem, not mine! Ha! Ha! Haaaaa!

Sorry [tears] . I'm not sure if there IS a way to keep the ants out. Birds like to eat insects, including ants, so I guess it doesn't matter to them, but if it gets too bad, just throw them away and set out fresh.

-
 -
by Wrennie on August 15, 2006 03:17 PM
The Flickers flock to my orange slices... for the ants.

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by ladystressout on August 16, 2006 04:50 AM
gosh! did not know we had orioles guess just have not been lucky to see one yet that's all. Just wanted to know what there nectar was?Thank you all for telling me that we got some now what am I going to do with that information? Rita
by ladystressout on August 16, 2006 04:52 AM
Hey I got a bird tray like platform feeder maybe it has legs and sits on the ground and has a screen like on the bottom for peanuts or large seeds will that work to put oranges on like?Wonder what other birds will be coming to eat the oranges too?
by Thornius on August 16, 2006 05:29 AM
That will work great, Lady. Mockingbirds LOVE apple slices , grapes, grape jelly and raisins. They might like oranges, too. I've never tried oranges; I have the wrong type of habitat to attract Orioles so haven't tried them.

Goldfish and (I think) Koi LOVE orange slices. My son raises and studies fish the way I do birds. He puts orange slices in his goldfish tanks and the goldfish go crazy for them. He gives them regular food , also

-
 -
by ladystressout on August 17, 2006 03:13 AM
Do we have mockingbirds too in Ohio?I got grapes and raisins too! Never thought of apple slices?Gosh! I am always learning something new and here I thought I do it all?ha,ha,ha

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Oriole| Next thread: Ornamental banana »
Back to Thread index