The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Hummer Question

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: HUMMER MOVIE| Next thread: Hummers »
Back to Thread index
by patches1414 on August 14, 2006 07:10 AM
I was just outside working in one of my perennial beds and I could see and hear something buzzing around me. I caught a quick glimpse of it, out of the corner of my eye, and decided it was a bumble bee. [scaredy] Well, I thought it best to work somewhere else rather than disturb it and take a chance of getting stung. [Eek!] As I stepped out of the bed I was looking for it and got the bigget surprise of my life! [shocked] It was a tiny little Hummingbird, no bigger than a bumble bee and it was flying around from flower to flower (mostly my pink Phlox) and having a great time! It was so neat to watch! [Smile]

I always get a lot of Hummers, but I have never seen one this small! It really was no bigger than a bumble bee! Was this a baby Hummer or are there some Hummingbirds that are this tiny? [dunno]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by afgreyparrot on August 14, 2006 07:24 AM
Patti...I have a lot of hummer babies...and they are tiny!

I'd say it was a baby.

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Triss on August 14, 2006 07:31 AM
That is really neat Patti! Hope you get to see more and more!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by TulsaRose on August 14, 2006 08:14 AM
Another missed "Kodak Moment" and what a great subject that would have been. I've never seen a baby one so I can only imagine how excited you were. [Wink]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by gardenfairy on August 14, 2006 10:42 AM
OH, a bet it is cute as a button!!! I would love to see a baby hummer!!

Monica

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
 -

God gave us memories so we can have roses in the winter.
by patches1414 on August 14, 2006 11:00 AM
quote:
Patti...I have a lot of hummer babies...and they are tiny!

I'd say it was a baby.

Thanks, Cindy! [kissies] In all these years I've never seen a Hummer that small! It was wonderful! [Wink]

quote:
Another missed "Kodak Moment" and what a great subject that would have been.
I know, Rosie, but even if I would have had my camera it wouldn't zoom in enough to get a good picture. [Frown] I don't think it would even capture an adult Hummer! [Roll Eyes]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by Wrennie on August 14, 2006 12:36 PM
there are 338 species of hummers. The smallest {{get this}} is called a bumblebee hummingbird, I think its only 1" to 1 1/2" long. The largest is 7 1/2" long. Baby birds are the same or very close to the same size as an adult bird by the time they fledge the nest. I have had people SwEaR that hummingbird moths are baby hummingbirds. NOT! Check out Rubythroat.org

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by Wrennie on August 14, 2006 12:38 PM
P.S. I'm not doubting your baby. Especially since you heard the hummmmm. The moths are noiseless. Cool, but noiseless. [grin]

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by Thornius on August 14, 2006 02:04 PM
Here's a pic of the aforementioned moth I took last year. It's called a Snowberry Clearwing Hummingbird Moth. It's a member of the Sphinx Moth family.

SNOWBERRY CLEARWING HUMMINGBIRD MOTH
 -

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: HUMMER MOVIE| Next thread: Hummers »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: