The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

want to put up birdfeeders

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by gardenfairy on August 04, 2006 04:19 PM
I just moved to Beaufort, SC and I would like to put up some bird feeders. I went to Lowes and ended up leaving confused. They had finch feeders, cedar feeders and don't get me started on all the types of seeds!!! Any suggestions on what type of seeds to buy and any good feeders that anyone may know about? Sometold me to buy saflower seeds and the squirrels won't eat them. I have tons of squirrels in my yard and don't want them to raid the feeders. I'm not really sure what type of birds are in this area. I have seen several Mockingbirds, there is one lone Bluejay that comes to my yard everyday around 5:00, and I have seen several redheaded woodpeckers around.

Monica

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
 -

God gave us memories so we can have roses in the winter.
by TulsaRose on August 04, 2006 11:23 PM
Monica, the only one I know of that "supposedly" Squirrels don't care for are the Safflower seeds. I buy only the Blackoil Sunflower seeds for the big feeders that look like barns and Thistle seed for the tube-type feeders designed especially for Thistle. The little birds like Black-capped Chickadees, Gold Finch, etc. love the Thistle. In the winter, I like to hang out several suet feeders in addition to the seeds. Suet cakes are real easy and cheap to make and the birds love them.

And always provide them with water sources. I have two regular bird baths plus various sizes of terracotta saucers on the ground that I fill every day. The Bunnies and Toads visit the saucers on a regular basis.

You might think about providing the Squirrels with their own feeding area away from bird feeders. But be prepared for them to raid your bird feeders, too. [Wink]

I have a couple of feeders for them that have a long, exposed screw sticking up through a platform that you can attach ears of raw corn to. It's fun to watch them sit there and munch away at the corn. I also put out raw peanuts in the shell for them as an occasional treat.

You'll get lots of good tips from the birding experts here. And probably info on "squirrel-proof" feeders. Just, please, don't do anything to harm them. [grin]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by Wrennie on August 05, 2006 01:13 AM
Hi
I own a wild bird feeding store. Squirrels dont prefer safflower but will eat it if theres nothing else around that they like. The best squirrel proof feeders that actually do work are Droll Yankees Caged feeders, the whipper dipper and tipper, which have collapsable perches, and the flipper which is battery operated, or Duncraft caged feeders with the arge cages. Heritage farms and perky pet have feeders where the perch closes in front of the seed when a squirrels weight gets on it, and Perky also has a 'squirrel buster' thats spring activated and closes in front of the seed ports.
The good ones that work aren't cheap. If someone tells you squirrel proof doesnt work, either they bought cheap junk or arent using the feeder or squirrel baffle properly.
The caged feeders are designed to keep gray squirrels out, red squirrels, chipmunks and flying squirrels can get into most of them. The spring or weighted perch type can be adjusted for the smaller mammals.
Seed: Black oil sunflower is the most basic all around seed. A good mix should include (mainly) black oil sunflower, maybe some safflower, nuts, millet, and thistle. It shouldn't have any milo in it.(milo is fine in western states, quail love it) Some millet is good sparrows, juncos and dove like it. If theres a lot in the mix it will get kicked out on the ground, which is ok, ground feeding birds are the ones that eat it , but you'll be forever refilling the feeder.
Woodpeckers love nuts and suet. There are caged suet feeders too. Or you can make or buy suet with hot pepper in it, squirrels dont like it, birds cant taste the hot.
Blue jays love sunflower and raw peanuts in the shell.
Mockingbirds like fruit. If you chunk up an apple and put it on a platform type feeder(a cookie tray works) Thornius has a picture of one eating apples on his porch rail.
I wish you lived closer i could show you around my shop and answer all your questions. Then hook you up with a great feeding station!

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by debnoel on August 05, 2006 03:20 AM
My philosophy is that squirrels need to eat too so I just feed them away from the bird feeders. The squirrels have left the birds alone as long as they have food. I use a mix of different seeds and get quite a few birds in my yard. I do have a thistle tube and sock which the goldfinches love. The are a fixture on the ripe sunflowers that are growing, too. I even have a hawk that flies in every couple of weeks. I know when he is near because the yard is strangely quiet. Right now I also have 4 water stations, two bird baths, a fountain, and 2 large saucers. I have lots of birds coming in just for water. Also have a hummingbird station. This morning I saw a hummer sitting on the clothesline and when it turned it showed me its beautiful ruby red throat. I've seen the females but this is the first male I've seen this year. I think I will put out some apple and see if I can attract a mockinbird. The seed I use has dried cherries in it will this work?
by Thornius on August 05, 2006 05:04 AM
I bought two new feeders yesterday at The Dollar Tree. They are the ones that look lika a lantern. They last for two or three years outdoors. Walmart is the best place to go for feeders. They have several feeders for under $4.00, many come already filled with seed and are refillable. I have been studying and researching birds for 18 years. Many people that devote their life to birding don't always buy the expensive feeders; we get what is cheapest. TSC (Tractor Supply Company) is the best place to buy your seed. Their seed is about 25% cheaper than anywhere else and they have bulk quantities. You will want to have platform feeders, tube feeders, suet feeders, Nijer Seed Feeders, and hummingbird feeders......EVENTUALLY! Just add the feeders as you can afford them. I like to keep Black Oil Sunflower seeds, Nijer Thistle Seed, Peanut Based Suet, Apple slices smeared with Peanut Butter on a platform feeder for the Mockingbirds, and raw peanuts in the shell for the Blue Jays, Mockingbirds, and Squirrels......and, yes, I LOVE having the squirrels come to my feeders, too. Mine are quite well behaved. I have one bird bath and several shallow glass Pyrex pie-baking dishes scattered around filled with water for drinking. The birds AND squirrels DO use these dishes.

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.
by gardenfairy on August 05, 2006 08:20 AM
I have a Blue Jay family in my yard!!! I'm now going to Wal-Mart and get them some feeders!!!

Monica

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
 -

by Thornius on August 05, 2006 09:13 AM
Just got back from Walmart. Almost bought a thistle sock feeder but held off cause there really haven't been ANY Goldfinches in my yard, lately. Bought two skeins of yard instead to finish crocheting a baby blanket I am making for my FIRST grandaughter who is due November 13th. (Yes, I am a man who has crocheted and knitted for over 30 years now.)

-
 -
by gardenfairy on August 05, 2006 10:13 AM
Well, I got a cedar house, a finch feeder and a hummingbird feeder. I just put up the hummingbird feeder and a thunderstorm blew up, so I will have to wait till' later to put the others up. Hey Thorny, I know this sounds dumb but what exactly is a platform feeder?

Monica

-

by Thornius on August 05, 2006 10:29 AM
A platform feeder is a flat board with seeds spread or laid on it [Big Grin] You can nail a 3 foot by 3 foot piece of plywood on top of a wooden fence post parallel to the ground and put a pile of peanuts in the shell and Black Oil Sunflower seeds alond with apple slices on it. THAT'S a platform feeder. Mine is a Stainless Steel table.

Mr. Mocky eating apple slices on MY platform feeder. Note the water dish and Black Oil Sunflower Seeds.
 -

-
 -
by Thornius on August 05, 2006 10:33 AM
Monica, Your Cedar House will probably attract your state bird, the Carolina Wren, Carolina Chickadees, possibly Eastern Bluebirds, Tufted Titmouses, Possibly White-Breasted Nuthatches, Downy Woodpeckers, and MOST probably, House Sparrows. They may use it this Winter especially to escape inclement weather but next Spring, LOOKOUT! They will be fighting over it. I had House Sparrows use mine this year.

-
 -
by gardenfairy on August 05, 2006 10:34 AM
Okay, got it. I will try to put something like that in my yard. Also, I'm going to get a bird bath, but do you need to put the pie dishes on something like a platform feeder or can you put them on the ground?

Monica

-

by Thornius on August 05, 2006 10:44 AM
You can put them either place. I like to put mine on the platform feeder next to the food. Just makes it easier for the birds.

Walmart has concrete bird baths for about $20.00. They weigh about 100-200 pounds so you need a strong sturdy base, but they last FOREVER and you can,t beat the price. Here's mine I bought at Walmart last year.

Male House Sparrow Gargling at my new Bird Bath
 -

Mr. Mocky drinking at the water dish on my platform feeder.
 -

-
 -
by gardenfairy on August 05, 2006 11:14 AM
I hope I see some Eastern Bluebirds, I know they are around here. About a month ago, my hubby and I went golfing and I saw tons of them on the golf course, I also saw several red-winged blackbirds!! I plan on getting some bird houses and putting them on some of the trees, I will get some houses that only bluebirds can use!

Monica

-

by Thornius on August 05, 2006 01:25 PM
Not ALL birds will use a birdhouse. Most species DON'T! Golf course are the classroom example of the BEST Bluebird habitat. So are horse and cattle pastures. Anywhere there are large, short-grassed fields with fence rows of trees and small scattered clumps of trees, far from human buildings,(at least 100 yds. from human buildings or OTHER bluebird nests). There should be plenty of dead trees, hollow wooden fence posts and/or wooden nesting boxes. If you provide these conditions you WILL get bluebirds.

-
 -
by gardenfairy on August 06, 2006 05:50 AM
I put my hummingbird feeder up yesterday, and I plan on putting up my other feeders later this evening. I hope I get some hummers soon!!

Monica

-

by Thornius on August 06, 2006 06:41 AM
Monica, I just saw on Google Earth that you live right ON the ocean! HOW NICE! You need to go to the beach and look for gulls and shore birds.

-
 -
by gardenfairy on August 06, 2006 09:24 AM
There are tons of gulls around here. I will take some pictures next time I go. There is also a lot of marsh around here. It is gorgeous down here, with the HUGE live oaks filled with spanish moss, and alligators in every body of water and cranes. There is an alligator that hangs out on Parris Island's pond, I will try and get a picture of him as well.

Monica

-

by Thornius on August 06, 2006 01:34 PM
Monica when you go to the beach look for Terns. If you find any, try to throw rocks at them cause I've often heard it said to, "LEAVE NO TERN UNSTONED!" [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [nutz] [dunno]

-
 -
by gardenfairy on August 06, 2006 01:46 PM
I will keep a look out for them!!! I haven't seen any Terns around here though!

Monica

-

by Thornius on August 06, 2006 02:25 PM
Gailo, who is a member on here AND on BirdersWorld.com forum with me got a GREAT picture of a Royal Tern and posted it on Birdersworld.com last week. Beautiful Bird!

-
 -
by gardenfairy on August 06, 2006 05:25 PM
That is a cool website! I Love the Photo of the Week. I subscribe to Birds and Blooms magazine, and it is one of my favorite magazines.

Monica

-

by Thornius on August 06, 2006 05:34 PM
Check out their forum! We hace a 13-year-old child prodigy in Noca Scotia, who is a daily contributor. He is home-schooled and has lived in or visited 18 countries in his short life. His name is Lucas but he goes by the internet nickname, Coppersmithbarbet. He is an excellent photographer and has an I.Q. that probably approaches 200 but seems like a regular 13-year-old boy.

-
 -
by gardenfairy on August 07, 2006 07:07 AM
I have a HUMMER!!!!!!!!! My husband and I went out onto our patio this morning and he asked have I seen any hummingbirds and I should No, not yet. Just as soon as I said that a Hummer fly up as to say Oh Yes you do!! [Big Grin] I think I have a female. She has a green back, white throat with spot on it.

Monica

-

by gardenfairy on August 07, 2006 08:13 AM
Correction, I have 2 hummers!!

Monica

-

by Thornius on August 07, 2006 09:30 AM
LOL. It doesn't take long this time of year for hummers to find the feeders. I have had a female for two weeks now but didn't PERSONALLY see her until yesterday. I got a couple of pics of her but they're pretty lousy. If your hummer has ANY red on the throat it is probably a male. Adult males have a full red bib that often looks black; females keep a snow-white throat all year. An Immature male will have a white throat with small scattered spots of red.

-
 -
by Thornius on August 07, 2006 09:37 AM
AND HERE SHE IS!.......HUMMERCANE CAMILLE

-

-
 -
by gardenfairy on August 07, 2006 10:05 AM
Here is one of my Hummers, I should name her Squeaky, because every time she comes to my feeder, she makes all kinds of noise!!

-

Monica

-

by Thornius on August 07, 2006 10:43 AM
The hum is not the vocal sound they make but the sound made by their wings which beat at 60 BEATS A SECOND!!! [teacher] [shocked] Hummers make a squeaky, high-pitched chirping noise vocally when agitated or as a part of their mating ritual. Most people don't realize that insects make up about 20% of a hummers diet. Flower nectar and the sugar water we give them are used to fuel their UNBELIEVABLY fast metabolism, so they CAN hunt the insects they need. Hummers are also the most vicious aggressive birds known in the avian world, even more so than hawks, eagles, owls, or other raptors. Once their young fledge, leave the nest, and learn where and how to feed, they are fair game for attacks by their mother. The Father NEVER has ANYTHING to do with the female, nest building, or the young hummers after the initial mating (Typical male, "I'll call you in the morning!" Yeah, RIGHT! [Big Grin] )

Here is a picture by an artist who depicts animals with human-like personalities and behavior to better show the personality of that animal. In this picture she is trying to show the aggressive, war-like nature of Hummingbirds. Her name is Dark Natasha.

-

-
 -
by gardenfairy on August 07, 2006 02:03 PM
That is a cool picture!! I have this one, that is very vocal. I think it is an immature male, he has several spots on his throat, but the tips of his tail are white. I read somewhere that only the female have white tips on their tail?? I don't know what he or she is but if he comes up to the feeder and I don't look at him, he starts chirping away, almost like saying "Hey you, look at me" My hubby thinks I'm going crazy because I started talking to them!!! But when I talk to him, he quits chirping and when I'm quiet he chirps loudly at me!!! [nutz] [Big Grin]

Monica

-

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: