The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Egg Nog Questions =D

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
« Prev thread: eewww! What IS this bug?| Next thread: Egg noodle Kugel »
Back to Thread index
by Nako on November 21, 2005 07:20 AM
Hi! Chris and I are going to be home for the holidays, and we both have an addiction to egg nog ^.^ So ya, when this time of year comes around, we go absolutely ravenous at the super markets and spend like 20 dollars on the stuff ^.^

We decided this year that we would try making our own. Here's the recipe that we found that looks the most appitizing:

INGREDIENTS:
4 cups milk
5 whole cloves
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
12 egg yolks
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 1/2 cups light rum
4 cups light cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

DIRECTIONS:
Combine milk, cloves, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and cinnamon in a saucepan, and heat over lowest setting for 5 minutes. Slowly bring milk mixture to a boil.
In a large bowl, combine egg yolks and sugar. Whisk together until fluffy. Whisk hot milk mixture slowly into the eggs. Pour mixture into saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly for 3 minutes, or until thick. Do not allow mixture to boil. Strain to remove cloves, and let cool for about an hour.
Stir in rum, cream, 2 teaspoon vanilla, and nutmeg. Refrigerate overnight before serving.

We probably won't add rum or anything cuz we don't like alcohol [Razz] But ya, here's the question:

What are cloves? Are they talking about garlic or cigarettes?

Thank you ^.^

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by mike57 on November 21, 2005 12:55 PM
[wavey] HI Nako here is a link to a site that has two recipes for Egg nog you might try looking them over to.
http://search.allrecipes.com/recipe/quick.aspx?q1=egg+nog&lnkid=65&image1.x=6&image1.y=9
hope theses help you decide on which one to make.and enjoy the Egg nog [thumb] .your friend in gardening.mike57 [wavey] [flower]

-
No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.
by ChristinaC on November 21, 2005 06:35 PM
quote:
What are cloves? Are they talking about garlic or cigarettes?
Neither. Cloves are a spice quite often used when baking. It's usually added when using nutmeg, cinnamon, etc. You can buy it gound or whole. They're about the same size as a peppercorn. Please don't put garlic in your eggnog. [Wink] Cheers Nako! [muggs]
Christina

-
 -
by hisgal2 on November 21, 2005 11:07 PM
We just stick to the store bought stuff! I make enough cookies and goodies...don't have time to make egg nog! [Big Grin] But is sounds delicious!!

-
 -

-
by Merme on November 22, 2005 06:43 AM
Phoebe ~ If you buy a container of whole cloves and your recipe only calls for a small amount, don't toss them out!

There are many interesting things you can do with whole cloves....

Take an orange that you have NOT peeled, and poke the sharp ends of the cloves into the peel so that only the ball end remains flush against the peel. Add lots and lots of these all over the orange. Then hang it up someplace and it will give off a wonderful frangrance for you for a nice long time.

You can also add whole cloves to fruit drinks you are preparing hot... like apple cider you are warming up -- just drop a few cloves into the pot and let it steep a bit. Of course, spoon them out before drinking as you don't want to swallow an entire clove.

Merme

-
 -

"In the midst of winter, I learned there lives in me an invincible summer" Camus (maybe a paraphrase)
by Nako on November 22, 2005 07:08 AM
thanks guys ^.^ Class was cancled today and i get to talk a lil bit [Big Grin]

so ya, i made some, and it was a really simple one. It involved raw eggs which kinda made me go "ummm... is that okay?" and it involved wiskie and rum too >.o so ya, for each cup of wiskie and rum that was required in the recipe, i replaced it with milk. I donno what kinda milk, the carton just said "milk" which is how i like it [thumb]

We also didn't have cream, so ya, we replaced the cream with milk as well ^.^ Twas good!

We made enough for 4 servings... whatever that means... but i got 6 cups out of it and drank half this morning before i headed back to college. The rest is for Chris ^.^

Really good stuff though! Adding the nutmeg on top topped it off pretty well too! I definately liked it more than the store bought stuff [Smile] its cheeper too!

Here's the recipe ^.^
Materials
Fresh Eggs
(separated into yolks/whites) 4
Sugar
(divided into 2 equal parts) 1/2 cup
(1/4c, 1/4c)
White Rum 1/2 cup
Milk (Whole or 2%) 1 1/2 cups
Whiskey 1 1/2 cups
Heavy/Whipping Cream
(divided into 2 equal parts) 1 cup
(1/2c, 1/2c)
Ground Nutmeg
(strongly recommended) Enough to sprinkle on servings.
Consider whole nutmeg nuts and grinder.

Recipe Instructions
You are doing things gently and slowly to preserve the eggnog's fluffiness. A good whisk for the stirring and a high speed mixer for the egg-whites and cream helps this process immensely. Notes on taking this to a party below.

Separate eggs into yolks and whites in separate bowls (see below for a how-to). I put the whites into the mixer and the yolks into another bowl.
Beat egg-yolks with 1/2 of sugar, set aside.
Beat egg-whites until stiff, then mix in other 1/2 of sugar.
Poor the yolks into the whites and mix together slowly.
Stir in white rum slowly
Stir in milk slowly (see below for dairy intolerance)
Stir in whiskey slowly
Stir in 1/2 of cream slowly
Whip rest (1/2) of cream and fold in carefully. Notes on how to fold below.
Serve at room temperature by ladling the eggnog into cups and sprinkle nutmeg on the top. Information on nutmeg grinders below. Try to get some of the foam and some of the liquid (if not fully mixed) in each cup.

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by afgreyparrot on November 22, 2005 07:50 AM
Phoebe...I have made this recipe for eggnog.
You don't know what you're missing by replacing the heavy cream and whiskey with MILK! [shocked]
I only use Booker's Small Batch Bourbon in this recipe...it's expensive, but well worth every penny...especially in this recipe.

But...leave the rum out for sure! [Razz]

Cindy Sot

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Nako on November 22, 2005 10:07 AM
lol ms. cindy!
i donno, i can't really handle alcohol [Razz] Wine's okay for me, but anything stronger or meant to get you drunk will make me sick >.<

Oh! and btw, i figured out what zinfendale is. Is that the Zinfensomething stuff? cuz i like Arbor Mist's White Zinfendale as a dinner wine [Smile]

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by hisgal2 on December 08, 2005 06:15 AM
Phoebe, I just got this recipe and thought of you! It sounds EASY!!!

Effortless Eggnog
1/2 gallon cold milk, divided
1 package (3.4 oz) instant Fench vanilla pudding mix
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vailla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnemon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

In a large bowl, whisk 3/4 cup milk and pudding mix until smooth. Whisk in the sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir in the remaining milk. Refrigerate until serving. Yields 2 quarts.

ENJOY!!!

-
 -

-
by Nako on December 21, 2005 12:11 PM
oh wow! That has like no raw egg in it! either way its about 1:4000 that you'll get a diseased egg. You have a better chance of being eaten by a shark or struck by lightning.

But ya i totally have all those ingredients o.O I'll try that one ^.^ i've been using the one i suggested a while back and it turned out pretty good, only it made me sick cuz it was so rich lol.

Good times
~Phoebe

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by Dixie Angel on December 21, 2005 09:00 PM
 -

Simple recipe...

Dianna

-
 -
by gardenmom32210 on December 21, 2005 09:40 PM
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

I bet the steaks from that cow are awesome!
by tkhooper on December 21, 2005 10:55 PM
Thankyou Jenn,

The effortless Eggnog looks absolutely great. I can't wait to get to the store to buy the stuff for this recipe. It's going to be great.

-
 -
by hisgal2 on December 24, 2005 11:15 PM
Has anyone tried this yet?? I haven't had the time...maybe next week.

-
 -

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: eewww! What IS this bug?| Next thread: Egg noodle Kugel »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: