The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Thorn Got It!!!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Thornius on July 23, 2006 04:22 PM
I left to take my grandson on a walk this evening to visit the neighbors' cats and take pictures and when I returned my wife was all excited. She said that as soon as we left the yard a Hummingbird appeared and started in vestigating our red Cannas. She ran inside and mixed up a fresh batch of nectar and filled my brand new feeder and got it out. As she and my grandson were playing near the feeder after he and i returned the Hummer came back and started feeding from the feeder. Once they appear once at your feeder they will continue to come until they migrate for the year. I haven't seen it yet to determine its sex or age, but as soon as I do I will get pictures.

On another note, AMAZINGLY, TODAY, I got the First American Goldfinch of the year in breeding plummage. It was a female who stopped in for a quick drink of water. I usually expect the Goldfinches in breeding plummage and hummers to show up within a few days of each other but what a surprise to have them BOTH show up on the same day.

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.
by patches1414 on July 23, 2006 09:17 PM
Well, Thornius, this sounds like a perfect day for you or for anyone! Congratulations! [clappy]

Looking forward to seeing some pictues of your hummingbird. [Wink]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by Wrennie on July 24, 2006 01:23 AM
 -

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by Tonya on July 24, 2006 02:56 AM
Awesome!! Can't wait for pics!

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by plantqueen on July 25, 2006 10:04 AM
Can't wait to see the pics! I just love to birdwatch. We have so many birds at our house. On Saturday mornings I like to sit and watch them out our patio door while I drink my coffee. I could do that all day long but then I would never get anything done....lol!

-
 -

-

All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.
by Thornius on July 25, 2006 01:57 PM
I'm retired now and sit on my porch or yard swing with a cup of coffee and observe and photograph bird behavior. That and computers are about the ONLY things I do now. (Downloaded 7,000 Sega Genesis games this week.)

-
 -
by loz on July 25, 2006 02:15 PM
Alright Thorny! I'm glad they've finally made their apperance in your yard! [clappy]

7,000 games! [shocked] That's a lot! [thumb]
by Thornius on July 25, 2006 03:21 PM
I got The games off of torrentspy.com. Many of my game packs that I have I get from them. This pack has EVERY KNOWN Sega Genesis game ever made. It runs around 750 Megabytes in size. All you need to do is download a Sega Genesis Emulator for free and then install it on your computer. Unzip the ROMS (games) and drag and drop the game you want onto The emulator Icon on your desktop. Emulators are usually smaller than 1 Megabyte. I have several dozen emulators for most of the major Video game systems on my compter. All together they take up maybe 10 Megabytes. I have about 20,000-30,000 games now on my computer. It'll probably be December before I beat all of them.

-
 -
by plantqueen on July 26, 2006 02:24 AM
Sounds like you are having a blast in retirement Thorny!

-
 -

-

All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.
by Thornius on July 26, 2006 11:14 AM
I've been retired for four years now. I have disability for vascular and cardio problems. nothing too serious, yet, but I take good care of myself and try to stay on top of things. I get TWO pensions, my house is completely paid for and we live quite close to shopping and bus lines so getting around is no problem. I just carry my camera in one shirt pocket and my binoculars in the other and photograph anything and everything of interest where ever I am.

-
 -
by Triss on July 26, 2006 11:29 AM
Thorny, Congrats on not only your first HUMMER, but your first goldfinch as well! A great day indeed!!!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by Thornius on July 30, 2006 06:39 AM
UPDATE! My son reported seeing the hummer about 30 minutes ago. He said it was drinking from my red Cannas and then went over to a pot of Zinnias his son, my grandson, planted and was checking them out. I still haven't seen it yet, but from his description, it sounds like a female. I will need to get out later and sit for an hour or two.

-
 -
by patches1414 on July 30, 2006 08:35 AM
Oh, Thornius, I hope you get some pictures of it and share them with us. [Wink] I think hummers are so interesting to watch and I love them. [Love]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by jakesangel on July 30, 2006 10:45 AM
Congratulations Thornius! Whisper in your new hummers ear that he needs to send his friends to west tn.! I keep a feeder out but I've never had one visit.

-
Country Roads  -
by gardenfairy on July 31, 2006 07:56 AM
Congrats Thorny!!! My mom has 4 hummers that hang out in her yard, they love her feeder and her petunias. There is one little hummer that is very curious and brave, yesterday he flew right up to my dad's face and when my dad backed up a little bit he pecked him on the nose!!! It was too funny!!

Monica

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
 -

God gave us memories so we can have roses in the winter.
by Thornius on July 31, 2006 09:38 AM
There's a FAIRY in my GARDEN! [shocked] Actually hummingbirds are always, "In Your Face!", especially when the feeders are empty or contain spoiled nectar. Then, they will fly up inches from your face, buzzing znd chirping loudly at you until you fill or replace their nectar. Luckily my hummer has been more interested in the 30 red Cannas that I have scattered around my yard than in my feeders. I'm out of sugar now and need to pick some up this week (along with Black Oil Sunflower Seed, Nijer Thistle Seed, Suet, several bird feeders, and some Miracle Grow plant food for the Cannas.)

-
 -
by Thornius on August 07, 2006 09:46 AM
I finally saw her and got her picture! Yes, it is a feamale as I suspected. I call her Hummercane Camille. AND HERE SHE IS!

-

-
 -
by Triss on August 07, 2006 09:57 AM
YEAH Thorny!!! Congrats!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by patches1414 on August 07, 2006 11:34 AM
Congratulations, Thorny! [clappy] She is so neat! [Smile] I've been waiting for a picture so I'm glad you finally got it! [thumb] Thanks for sharing! [kissies]

-
 -
by Thornius on August 08, 2006 06:49 PM
Here is a picture of the SECOND Hummer to show up at my feeders. I THINK it's a female also, but am not sure. I believe it is a different species from a Ruby-Throated but can't find it in any of my guides.

-

-
 -
by melcon6 on August 09, 2006 12:19 AM
I've never seen those in Maine??????? [dunno]
Do they come this far north? Maybe I'm not putting the right food in the feeders. What are you using to attract them?

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by Thornius on August 09, 2006 06:12 AM
I ground up some sheep, three LITTLE pigs, a roadrunner, and one littlegirl in a red riding hood, and added THAT mixture to my usual one-part-sugar/four-parts-water mixture to attract this species to my feeder.

-
 -
by gardenfairy on August 09, 2006 08:14 AM
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] Too Funny!!

Monica

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
 -

by Thornius on August 10, 2006 02:39 PM
She's back, and she's brought friends (or perhaps rivals) we have now seen two hummers at the same time and suspect there may be 1-2 more also. Here is todays best hummer picture.

-

-
 -
by gardenfairy on August 10, 2006 05:22 PM
Nice picture Thornius!! I haven't seen my male in 2 days.

Monica

-

by patches1414 on August 11, 2006 10:13 AM
Wonderful picture, Thorny! [thumb] Thanks for sharing it! [kissies] I love to see pictures of Hummers! [Love]

-
 -
by penny in ontario on August 12, 2006 04:03 AM
Nice picture and thanks for sharing [thumb]

-
 -

-

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: