The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Well there is Rachels nest and here is Karries

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Karrie on July 01, 2006 04:14 PM
I went for a swim this evening and noticed this lil guy coming and going in and out of a half rotted fence post.......  -
 -

I went over and poked my nose in and to my surprise...........  -

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by Triss on July 01, 2006 05:53 PM
AWESOME!!! You are going to get to watch them grow up!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by TulsaRose on July 01, 2006 11:49 PM
You are so lucky, Karrie...Bluebirds are so sweet and beautiful. Take lots of good pix the next few weeks to record the babies growth. I'm really surprised Mama built a nest in such an open setting.

Love the Pix!!!

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by Wrennie on July 02, 2006 12:51 AM
It's actually pretty common for bluebirds to build in an open 'pocket' like that one. Research has found house sparrows dont like rain on their heads so there is now a bluebird house made with a screen top to keep h.sparrows out and let bluebirds in. [clappy]

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by Jiffymouse on July 02, 2006 01:34 AM
i'm impressed! enjoy it...

by the way, i've never seen a bluebird, only blue jays!
by Thornius on July 05, 2006 08:00 AM
Jiffy, you should have tons of bluebirds where you are but they are PICKY about the areas they hang out in. They like LARGE, open, short-grassed fields with scattered clumps and rows of trees with fences, too. Think GOLF COURSE or HORSE PASTURE and look in those types of places.

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.
by Jiffymouse on July 05, 2006 12:31 PM
that's probably why i haven't seen any. don't get near either kind of place [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

of course, i would like to get near the horses, just don't usually have time.
by Karrie on July 13, 2006 08:28 AM
Thornius, this fence post is on the fence that holds the horses in the pasture! Your nailed it as usual! Here is this weeks baby photo! Wow how they grow! Their starting to look rather sung in their lil cozy hole!

-

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by Thornius on July 13, 2006 08:40 AM
Thanks, Carrie. I know my Bluebirds pretty well having built and intalled hundreds of Bluebird nesting boxes here in Tennessee. I live in Hermitage, TN just east of Nashville, TN and built and put up 25 Bluebird nesting boxes on the grounds of The Hermitage, Andrew Jackson's Mansion. The house I own and live in is one mile south of the mansion itself and ALL the bluebirds that fly through my yard are the direct results of the nesting boxes I installed about 10 years ago at The Hermitage.

-
 -
by Karrie on July 14, 2006 03:04 PM
The nest is empty! Isnt it tooo soon for them to be gone? I wasnt ready to say good bye just yet. [tears]

-
 -

Karrie's Photos
by Triss on July 14, 2006 03:08 PM
Awww Karrie, I am sorry they are gone already. They looked so little still.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by afgreyparrot on July 14, 2006 04:22 PM
Where did they go???

I am going to Rachel's tomorrow and get pics of her babies.

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Thornius on July 14, 2006 05:40 PM
Karrie, those baby Bluebirds appear to be the exact age they need to be to leave the nest. They are most likely still in the area and are able to fly now. The mother bluebird often goes back and relines the same nest and lays a second clutch of eggs. The babies that just left the nest will stay near the parents and when the new babies hatch, the first group of babies will help the parents feed and care for the new batch.

-
 -
by Wrennie on July 15, 2006 12:20 AM
Uh-oh, empty nest syndrome!

You may see them perching nearby. On another post or phone wire. look beyond the nest for them.

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by Karrie on July 15, 2006 02:47 AM
I did find them last night they were on the high wire right near the nest. I will have to take a photo. They are still there this morning! Thanks guys, I was sad! I figured they were too young to leave but I guess not!

-
 -

Karrie's Photos
by Squirrel on July 15, 2006 05:11 PM
Kerry, how lucky you are! I've never seen a Bluebird. Thanks for the pix. Looking forward to pix of the second batch. Would love to be able to watch. Thanks again. Sue

-
 -
What goes around comes around, so be nice!lol
by Thornius on July 16, 2006 04:39 AM
Sue, There ARE Bluebirds in your area. Check Golf Courses, Golf Driving Ranges, Horse Pastures, and Parks in your area. These are the best places to find them. You might want to ask Park Personnel in your area, too, where the Bluebirds are.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: