The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

"Worm Gold" and white fly?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by LoriB on April 25, 2006 11:58 AM
I met a lady this weekend who said she successfully used "worm gold" buried around her plants to eliminate white fly (it took some time). Has any one successfully tried this? I have a big hybiscus by the front door that gets really yucky in white fly season. She said the worm gold eventually makes the plant taste bad???
by snapdragon on May 07, 2006 02:11 PM
Lori,

What is worm gold? It's a shame you've gotten zilch as a response because my shitefly (excuse me whitefly) problem has grown to gargantuan proportions. They attack herbs with a ridiculous abandon and they killed my kalanchoe last year.

Snapdragon
by Longy on May 08, 2006 01:05 AM
I think Lori is referring to worm castings, the produce from a worm farm.
The reason it would be of benefit in keeping pests away from plants, is that it is good for plants. It feeds them just the right amount of nutrient. It's the perfect organic fertilizer. In the case of making a plant "taste bad" to pests, a good supply of potassium causes plant cells to strengthen and toughens them up, making them less palatable to pests. That's why a healthy plant grown in rich, healthy soil doesn't seem to get attacked as much as one which is struggling in poor, unimproved soil.

So i imagine that's an explanation for Lori's hibiscus too, and your herbs. To get the soil in good condition, so the plant can protect itself. Feed the soil. Water the soil. Protect the soil. Grow soil. Let the plant grow itself.

-
The secret is the soil.
by snapdragon on May 11, 2006 08:32 AM
Okay, so I know the soil around my rental needs help, but I need more info on cheap ways to feed it. My landlord doesn't really care what I do, so long as I don't kill anything preexisting (and no compost pile on the lot), but he also is not interested in spending money on the property. Any suggestions?

Snapdragon
by SpringFever on May 11, 2006 09:52 AM
Get some worms snap you can keep them in a rubbermaid container with some newspaper and feed them coffee grounds and just about any leftover in your house but meat they consume quickly and are terrific for your garden.. there are several posts in the organic section you should check it out!

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by Longy on May 11, 2006 12:30 PM
I know the soil around my rental needs help, but I need more info on cheap ways to feed it.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Mulch the whole lot with sheep manure. Cover with another type of mulch if you want a different type of appearance. Keep moist and next spring your soil will be full of life. Keep the manures/mulch away from established plants stems by a few inches or so. Water well before and after application.

-
The secret is the soil.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: