The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Propagation of my Bearded Iris

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by Nako on June 16, 2004 05:19 PM
Hi! This is a real quick one ^.^ I'll include a few pictures later with photoshop arrows.

Where do the seeds show up in the plant? I wanted to grab a few seeds and plant em in a big pot i have that my ficus came in. Also, how do they germinate? do i just kinda stick em in the soil?

Thanks a lot! [wayey]

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by gardengal on June 17, 2004 12:06 AM
Hi Phoebe! [wayey] Bearded iris can be propagated by splitting their rhizomes in August/ September. I dig mine up every other year or so and split the bulbs then replant mom and babies. As far as I know they do not produce seeds, or at least I've never let mine. After the flower dies I cut back the stem but leave the leaves to gather sun and nutrients for next time.

Hope this helps. [grin]

-
 -
Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
by sibyl on June 17, 2004 06:19 AM
hi Phoebe.
the seeds are in a pod were the flowere was [ looks like a green groth [Big Grin] ] & i think they take about a year to germinate. just stick em in the soil.
i also seperate my rhizomes, bout every 3 years.

-
 -
by Nako on June 17, 2004 07:29 AM
Okie dokie, coolios. I just went to my friend's house, and she has a buncha neat-o lookin iris that are like yellow and dark dark red. They're so pretty! She gave me a bulb [Smile]

I have split open the space below the flower and found lil rows of things that look like either seeds or pods... i donno. They look like a thin stem with two rows of lil stems going up them, and on the end of the lil stems are what looks like seeds. I'm not sure if those are it though. ^.^ if they are it, that's cool, cuz i can get a whole buncha them. The flowers on all my blue irises are all withered, and the spot where the seeds are supposidly, have turned brown too. So yay!

Thanks guys!

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: