The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

chipping sparrow babies....

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Chipmunks and moles| Next thread: chives »
Back to Thread index
by pagarden on May 21, 2006 01:51 PM
so my husband was out back calling me, i went to see what the fuss was about and he says "What kind of bird is that?" and i look up and about 5 feet from him in the branch of a tree was a chipping sparrow. it was just sitting there chipping at him. he said "it was over on that pole and didn't even move!" so i said "you know there must be a nest around here because otherwise they would just fly away!" so this is the fence we have covered with honeysuckle it's probably only about 4 ft tall....

-

so i start lifting up the honeysuckle to look not even thinking they'd put one in there since it's so low but i jumped back- THERE REALLY WAS ONE!!!! and it had 4 babies in it! woohoo! i love my yard full of birds! here's a picture.

-
by afgreyparrot on May 21, 2006 02:05 PM
Oh, that is so sweet!

It's so neat that they are in a place where you can watch them!

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by loz on May 21, 2006 02:28 PM
That is so great! [clappy]

You'll have to keep an eye on them and take some more pictures. [grin] [thumb]
by pagarden on May 21, 2006 04:03 PM
not only can i reach them and watch them- i walk by there every day to check the garden and go downstairs to do laundry! hubby was like "oh be quiet i don't want to disturb them!" and i reminded him that part of the yard is used all the time. our neighbor on the otherside of that fence even has a dog that jumps up on the fence to say hello to us! YIKES! (i did show him the nest and he'll keep an eye on his dog for the next week or so) even with all the noise and commotion around there they managed to build a nest, lay eggs, sit on them to hatch, and all the while listen to our noisy kids playing and me walking by everyday to check my veggies! so a little more of us talking sure isn't going to hurt them! LOL
by Thornius on May 21, 2006 05:48 PM
I have seen Northern Cardinals build nests only 18 inches above the ground next to a footpath used by approximately 300 people a day at one of our State Natural Areas. These nests raised the babies to maturity without being bothered. Pagarden, check in on them each day but don't linger too long. I take a couple of pictures each day and then leave the nest and its occupants alone.

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.
by Wrennie on May 22, 2006 12:52 AM
That is so cool. Youre so lucky to be able to watch them.

The warblers that nested across from the street from my house built in a tree thats only about 5 feet off the road. and maybe 7 feet up.

I wish I could see into the barn swallow nests at work. I'm sure theres eggs in their now, based on mommy & daddy birds behavior. But its too high to see. [Frown] I'm sure I'll hear them soon though. As long as the starlings and house finch in the {rotted} soffit dont over power them with their noise. [Wink]

Maybe they build in the noisy, commotion areas because they feel it helps keep predators away??

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by Jiffymouse on May 22, 2006 02:58 AM
that is so cool!
by pagarden on May 31, 2006 07:59 AM
updated pics...

-

-

sunday they started to leave.... i saw 1 hop out of the nest into the neighbors yard and watched momma and dad flying around it chirping away- i suppose for moral support- LOL. 2 one hopped out and i went and scooped him up to put him back- momma and dad were helping the other guy out! they just kept hopping back out so i finally just let them go. i know it's nature but they just seem so small to be out on their own! i did get a few pics of us holding them though. my kids were in heaven! me-

-

my daughter-
 -

last guy left-
 -

and perched on the edge ready to hop out into the big world!
 -

that last guy hung around till monday though. we watched him hop and fly through the backyard and eventually up the fence and almost into the tree. he was so clumsy but he eventually got the hang of it. it's sort of sad that they are gone. i will miss them- hopefully they will come back for their next babies.
by Jiffymouse on May 31, 2006 11:01 AM
[thumb] how cool is that experience for you and the kids!
by Triss on May 31, 2006 11:09 AM
A very good experience. Thanks for sharing it. My kids loved seeing the baby birds!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by patches1414 on May 31, 2006 11:16 AM
Awesome pictures! [thumb] I enjoyed them very much! What an wonderful experience for you and your family. [Smile] Thanks for sharing! [kissies]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by Wrennie on June 01, 2006 01:19 AM
Great pictures. I like the one "last guy left" Kinda looking at you like "well here goes nothing!"

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by plants 'n pots on June 01, 2006 01:27 AM
Wonderful pictures, and what a great experience!
Don't you just love when the babies still have their eyes closed, but their mouths are WIDE open waiting for food to be deposited in there?!?

This is one of those gifts from nature that you will remember for a long time to come! [thumb]

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Chipmunks and moles| Next thread: chives »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: