The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Squirrels & Bird feeders...

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: squirrels| Next thread: St. Augustine Grass »
Back to Thread index
by Jiffymouse on May 21, 2006 10:34 AM
Before you read any further, let me tell you I LIKE MY SQUIRRELS.

i live on 5 acres and have most of it wooded. but even so, i had lived here over 3 years before i saw the first squirrel. now i have a pair of them in the back yard, and i am happy.

BUT, i have a bird feeder just outside my computer room window that the squirrels have taken over. i had the most fun this morning watching them climb in and out of the feeder (they took the top off). i really enjoyed it and had to share!

the best part is my birds will still come to the feeder.
by patches1414 on May 21, 2006 03:25 PM
I love my squirrels too [Love] and I even buy critter chow for them and the chipmunks. [Love] They are so cute but sometimes I get very upset with them when they chew up my bird feeders and uproot my newly planted annuals. [Mad] Actually, they don't hurt the flowers but they dig them up and leave them laying on the ground with their roots exposed. [Frown] I've pretty much stopped the squirrels from destroying my feeders by using metal ones, [thumb] but it doesn't stop them from raiding the feeders. All in all, it's a small price to pay for the joy of watching the squirrel's acrobatic antics. They can be so funny and keep you entertained for hours. [Big Grin]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by Thornius on May 21, 2006 05:52 PM
I finally have TWO squirrels using my yard after living here for four years. They knock my feeders down a lot but basically eat only the spilled seed on the ground. They are VERY welcome as far as I'm concerned.

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.
by patches1414 on May 21, 2006 06:03 PM
My squirells are always welcome here too! [Wink] I just wish they would learn to behave a little better.

Here is a picture of one of my squirrels eating a peanut I gave it. [Wink] I think this is one of my regular ones because it will come up pretty close to you to get food. [Smile]

-

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by Wrennie on May 22, 2006 12:44 AM
My friend used to feed a squirrel out her sliding door. He'd come right up to her. Got so comfortable he ended up running into the house when she opened the door to give him his treat!

We fed chipmunks out of our hands the first summers we were here. Then the stray cat & her 2 kittens came so we had to stop. I love my outside cat (shes allowed in but gets clausterphobic and wants out in just a few minutes) but I mis my Chippys.

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by Thornius on May 22, 2006 07:11 AM
At Vanderbilt University in the 70's I used to sit under the trees feeding peanuts to the squirrels. They would climb up on my knees, shoulders, and head to get the peanuts. People would come by and take pictures of me covered with squirrels. Squirrels will quickly tame down and accept you if they see you are no threat to them and are of benefit to them. Still anytime "I" tried to touch or pet the squirrels they would viciously attack me, so I let them do the touching and petting to me.

-
 -
by patches1414 on May 22, 2006 09:39 AM
Wrennie that is so neat! [Smile] I've never had any of my squirrels or chipmunks get that comfortable with me, but I would love to have them come up that close to me. [Love] Years ago I knew someone who was a park ranger at a state park in Missouri and he and his wife lived on the grounds in a wooded area. I was over there one night for dinner and when the wife would come out all the animals would come up to her and eat out of her hands. It was such an awesome sight and I was amazed. [Smile]

Thornius, I love your story too! Did any of the people ever give you a picture that you could share? I would love to see it.

-
 -
by Thornius on May 22, 2006 11:55 AM
Naw, I never did get a picture. These were just strangers who wanted an unusual picture. I imagine the squirrels are still like that on campus. I just haven't been back much since. Maybe I'll go give it a try again sometime.

I also watched a golden retriever chase a baby squirrel across a field at Vanderbilt once. There wasn't a tree in sight for the poor baby to escape the dog in. Then the baby squirrel saw me standing there watching all this activity and made a bee-line for me. The baby squirrel jumped on to the legs of my bell-bottom jeans (dates me doesn't it? [Big Grin] ) and scampered up my jeans and shirt until it reached the top of my head where it proceeded to bark and squall at the dog as hard as it could. The dog saw a lost cause and quickly trotted off to some other amusement. I cradled the baby squirrel in my hands and it seemed very happy to be rubbed and petted. I carried it into a grove of trees and set it on the trunk where it scampered away into the tree branches to go on with the rest of its life.

-
 -
by JV on May 25, 2006 11:03 PM
Have my first squirrel this year. Don't mind him eating even have put things high for him . He chewed up one of my bird feeders. Also had a Blue Jay that was huge. First time I saw it I thought it was a pegion until I could see his head. Friday found what was left of him on the ground neighbors cat had got him. I have been at odds with these people over their cats. Main reason is when they saw me put up my feeders they said oh good your going to feed my cats for me almost toke them down then. I wont tell you what I said but was not nice. They let their cats run wild but I keep my dogs up even have part of my yard fenced off next to them so my dogs wont bark at their cats. Cops or animal control wont do anything said to do what I was big enough to do. I don't harm animals so what am I to do?

-
 -
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says.
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by Wrennie on May 25, 2006 11:52 PM
JV, Get a motion activated sprinkler. When the kitty passes by it turns on and he gets a shower.
A hand full of small pebbles in a beer/soda can work too. But you have to be there. My outside cat knows when she hears the can to stop doing whatever it is shes doing wrong. Just 2 seperate times she started, all I had to do was say NO, toss the can right behind her, and the clatter startled her, and when she looked at me she couldnt figure how I got that close to make a clamor and back up the hill again before she could even turn her head. Now I just pick up the can, 1 pebble 'tinks' and she sits down and turns to look at me.
The can worked wth a neighbor cat that wanted to fight her too. I yeled no. he said tell it to the paw. I yelled go away and tossed the can at his can. Boy he could run fast when properly persuaded.

-
 -

-

by JV on May 25, 2006 11:58 PM
Ok wrennie will look for one. May get in trouble as we are water rationed no watering 10 am to 6 pm but worth a try. Can did not work I threw it at him he just looked back and kept going. Thanks for the idea.

-
 -
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says.
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by Wrennie on May 26, 2006 12:19 AM
I think they just do a short squirt and stop. Maybe you can set how long it goes? Not sure.

-
 -

-

by Thornius on May 26, 2006 05:05 AM
A motion-activated flame thrower might work.

-
 -
by patches1414 on May 26, 2006 06:11 AM
I'm not familar with the motion-activated sprinkler so I realy don't know how sensitive they are. So couldn't the squirrels, rabbits, raccoons, and even birds also set it off? [dunno]

-
 -
by Squirrel on May 26, 2006 07:05 AM
My hubby put vaseline on the pole that our bird feeders are on to keep the squirrels off. We have the feeders outside our kitchen window. I was sitting there watching this squirrel squrry up the pole, higher than the feeder. He`d reach over to the feeder all the while his behind went sliding down the pole until he`d have to let go. He was persistant because I watched him over and over again with his behind sliding down that pole. Funniest thing. Made my day. :-))) I am mad at our squirrels this year. They keep snipping off my Gerber Daisies that our in a flower box on my back porch. Is there a squirrel repellent I can use? I don`t want to hurt them in any way!!! As I do enjoy them. Sue

-
 -
What goes around comes around, so be nice!lol
by patches1414 on May 26, 2006 07:28 AM
Oh Squirrel, that brings back a pleasant memory for me. [Smile] Many years ago when my kids were young, I put up a bird feeder so they could enjoy seeing the different birds. Well, it seemed as soon as I filled the feeder it was empty again. [Frown] Geesh, I couldn't believe how much food these little birds could eat. [dunno] Then, one day, I discovered it was a squirrel who always arrived right after I filled the feeder. I put Crisco on the pole and then filled the feeder and we sat at the window and watched as the squirrel scampered up the pole and slid back down with a confused look on his face. [Big Grin] He did it again and the same thing happened, but they don't give up. The third time he got about half way up the pole and the fourth time he made it all the way up and feasted away. I learned to live with it because any critter that works that hard for his dinner deserves a treat! [Wink]

-
 -
by Squirrel on May 26, 2006 08:02 AM
That they do, Patches. We enjoy watching them actually. But my hubby can`t believe how fast the feeders get empty! lol We just keep putting the food out. The birds are getting their share. Sue

-
 -
What goes around comes around, so be nice!lol
by patches1414 on May 26, 2006 08:30 AM
I've got plenty of bird feeders out and bird baths too, [Wink] so I'm sure the birds are getting enough food. Unfortunately, it seems the more feeders I put out the more squirrels I have! [Frown]

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: squirrels| Next thread: St. Augustine Grass »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: