The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

saw a new bird: no pics....help identify

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: saw a bluebird!| Next thread: saw a NEW one today! woohoo!!!!!!! »
Back to Thread index
by Mrs.Spud on May 18, 2006 04:47 AM
Hello, I saw some new birds yesterday for the first time. They looked like the cedar waxwing, the head had a crest but some had yellow stripes (or were they white) There were lots of them. I may have seen more than one species, because some of the birds had big beaks. I didn't think waxwing had big beaks. Could they be grosbeaks?

I don't know if I can get a picture.

PS. I have a robin building a nest in my apple tree.

Mrs.Spud: Idaho Mom
by rubberbandman on May 18, 2006 05:30 AM
I have a pair of robins building a nest in my pine tree. It's so fun just to sit and watch them isnt it.

-
people tell me I have the body of a god... too bad its buddah.
by Thornius on May 18, 2006 05:38 AM
Mrs. Spud try doing a Google Image Search on BOHEMIAN WAXWINGS. That may be what you saw. There are TWO species of Waxwings in the U.S. and Canada. I am in the eastern U.S. and all we have are the Cedar Waxwings. According to The Sibley Field Guide to Birds of North America, you have BOTH species in Idaho at this time of year. My birder friends out west take pictures of Bohemian Waxwings and post them on the internet so although I have never seen a Bohemian Waxwing in person I know EXACTLY what they look like.

Sibley's is the BEST guide for North America birds in the world. It is primarily a picture book with descriptions. They make an edition for Eastern North America, one for Western North America, and one for ALL of North America. If you develop a strong interest in birds you need at LEASt one field guide. I have two. Sibley's and The Golden Guide. These are the two best ones.

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.
by Wrennie on May 19, 2006 02:10 AM
I love my sibleys too. Peterson Field guide is my first grab usually.

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by Mrs.Spud on May 21, 2006 05:21 PM
I Identified one, it was an evening grosbeak.

I do think I did see waxwings, because of the crested head and the large number of birds. They came because my sprinkler was running. I will have to sit out there and watch with my camera when I do the sprinkler next.

by Thornius on May 21, 2006 05:41 PM
I have about 50 Cedar Waxwings that have been living in my yard for about a month now. I get tons of pictures of them every day. I also located a fourth birdnest in my yard today. I don't know if it is occupied or what birds made it, but I'll be keeping my GOOD eye on it for a while.

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.
by Mrs.Spud on May 22, 2006 03:14 PM
well, I saw a profile of a bird in the tree and it had a crested head and banded eyes. So there are waxwings in the area. Also last night was saturday night fights with the rufous hummer and another hummer, I think a black chin.

I sure enjoy my yard.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: saw a bluebird!| Next thread: saw a NEW one today! woohoo!!!!!!! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: