The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Look what I found

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by ChristinaC on May 09, 2006 01:10 PM
These pics aren't the best but they're the best I could do. I had to get up on a ladder and reach my hand up under the soffit and point the camera in behind the bricks of my house. I had to take a bunch of pictures before I found where they were but here they are. Aren't they sweet?!

-

-

-
 -
by afgreyparrot on May 09, 2006 02:00 PM
Oh, Christina! [grin]
How adorable!
What kind of birds are they?
They're beaks are so yellow!

That is so cool!

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by loz on May 09, 2006 02:02 PM
Wow, they are cool pictures!!!! [muggs] Love them!!! [clappy]

I think they were hoping you were going to feed them something! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
by Deborah L. on May 09, 2006 02:33 PM
Cuties !

-
 -
by melcon6 on May 09, 2006 03:37 PM
Great job, Christina!! WOW!

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by Wrennie on May 10, 2006 12:45 AM
Hmm, under the soffit behind the bricks, nest of strawlike grasses..... probably european starlings.
Whatcha' think Thorny?

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by gardenmom32210 on May 10, 2006 02:51 AM
Could be a Swallow or a House sparrow. They also nest under eaves.
by ChristinaC on May 10, 2006 02:58 AM
They're sparrows. I saw their mommy. Their mommy wasn't happy about me taking pictures. It was quite the ordeal...the little babies were chiping away...the mother was squaking, my cat was going crazy with all the sounds..and my dog was barking because she didn't like me on the ladder.
My boyfriend said he's going to fill in the hole after they're gone...I kinda' like them in there..safe and cozy but he's right, eventually it will make quite the mess.

-
 -
by Thornius on May 10, 2006 05:26 AM
Those are probably House Sparrows due to the location and type of nests. I have a nest of them in the ceiling of my front porch roof but can't get to them to take pictures. Robin Nests are much easier. Yesterday I saw a male and female Northern Cardinal feeding their baby who had left the nest. The baby was actually a Brown Headed Cowbird.

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.
by Wrennie on May 10, 2006 05:48 AM
Aaaah, house sparrows. Forgot about their nesting habits.
poor momma & papa cardinal feeding baby huey cowbird [Razz]

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by Thornius on May 10, 2006 07:08 AM
I also saw a mother Carolina Wren with her three babies flying around one of our community parks and got the BEST view I ever had of a House Wren at a local cemetery. I was two feet from him. He was singing and his WHOLE body shook like a magnitude 9.3 earthquake. I got pictures, but they came out as silhouettes due to the fact that he was backlit.

-
 -
by Thornius on May 10, 2006 07:11 AM
Christina, those baby House Sparrows look like Trumpet Vine Blossoms. with their bright yellow mouths and throats.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: