The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

missing my hummingbird

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Mrs.Spud on April 30, 2006 02:51 AM
I was given a feeder, and within 2 days of putting it up I noticed a hummingbird visiting. It came back several times over the next few days and then it stopped. I changed the nectar and it went down about 1/4 " but I haven't seen it in 2 days.

Do they come in fits and starts or do they hang around all spring/summer?

I didn't even get to identify it.

Mrs.Spud: Idaho Mom
by loz on April 30, 2006 02:54 AM
Maybe you're just missing it????? They come and go so fast that it's easy to think that they aren't around...don't despair! It may still be there......

And after a while you might get a lot more hummingbirds than just the one you are missing now..... [thumb]
by Mrs.Spud on April 30, 2006 02:56 AM
I am suprised how much I loved seeing it! I want more feeders and I have a raised bed which can be a hummingbird garden. We just bought this house and I just weeded the bed yesterday. I have 2 tulips blooming there but a lot of green stuff coming back from previous years. I have no idea what they are.

by Thornius on April 30, 2006 11:31 AM
Hummingbirds slowdown their visits to the feeders shortly after arriving in the Spring to nest and raise their young. Around the 4th of July they explode (no pun intended) into action again with their fledglings and practically live in swarms around your feeders until they migrate. I have had two hummer feeders out since April 1st and have changed the nectar 3 times already and have not gotten a SINGLE hummer yet!

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.
by Wrennie on May 01, 2006 01:25 AM
He/she may have stopped in his way to a location farther north too. Your permanent residents may still be on their way.
I expect to see them soon. My neighbor said he saw one last week, on his quince.

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by Mrs.Spud on May 02, 2006 04:44 AM
I have a new hummingbird. Its a bit bigger with a rounder tummy, the tummy is pale and I think the fleathers are gray/green. Its hard to tell through the window.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: