The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

bugs on green beans

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Bugs on cukes, what are they?| Next thread: Bugs on my mums »
Back to Thread index
by davida580 on April 21, 2006 02:05 AM
my green beans have these little black nat looking bugs on them they are right down on the parts where the leaves grow out of the plant. does anyone know how i can get rid of them naturally? thanks.
by peppereater on April 21, 2006 07:43 AM
I can't think of anything like that that could be harmful to beans...or at least not very harmful, enough to matter. No expert on that question, but my thought is wait a week and they might be gone. You say they look like gnats...are they flying?

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by Buglady on April 21, 2006 11:06 AM
insecticidal soap will kill almost any insect it comes in contact with, but i would id them before you go killing them.

-
 -
The Buglady
Suzanne Wainwright-Evans, www.bugladyconsulting.com
Educating the world... one bug at a time
by davida580 on April 21, 2006 11:50 AM
they have wings they are also on my watermelons,tomatoes,squash i put 7 dust on them but haven't noticed any less bugs they look like they are sucking on the stems they are all over some of my beans and they look like their going to die any ideas?
by peppereater on April 21, 2006 11:23 PM
I always try to use non-chemical remedies for everything, especially vegetable crops. I get enough pesticide in the foods I buy. Also, most pesticides are labeled specifically for the pests they target. The 7 dust may have been a waste of time. By the way, it's rather toxic to your pets, if you have any. Buglady mentioned insecticidal soap...she's our resident pest expert. It's the safest of all pesticides, and extremely effective.
You can get it at most garden centers.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by Longy on April 22, 2006 02:08 AM
does anyone know how i can get rid of them naturally?
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Sounds like you may have aphids.
You can blast them off with a jet from the hose or wipe them off with your fingers. There are many beneficial insects which prey on aphids, such as lady beetles and preying mantis. If you keep your garden pesticide free, you will build up a balance of these insects and outbreaks such as this will largely take care of themselves.

-
The secret is the soil.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Bugs on cukes, what are they?| Next thread: Bugs on my mums »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: