The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

BALD EAGLE ...

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: bald cypress seeds??| Next thread: Balloon Flowers »
Back to Thread index
by SpringFever on April 20, 2006 09:28 PM
Hey all [wavey]
I was going to the grocery store the other day.. Heading up 93 north and I looked up and there it was A BEAUTIFUL BALD EAGLE!!! He was huge soaring above the road right by the Merrimac River. [thumb]
I almost ran off the road.. It is only the second one I have ever seen here. It was soo cool [clappy]

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by Thornius on April 21, 2006 12:24 AM
I have been studying birds for 18 years and I have NEVER seen an eagle of any kind IN MY LIFE! Not even in zoos. I will definitely see one eventually and I think very soon, and I would recognize it as an eagle the minute I saw one, but up till now, I have never seen one.

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.
by SpringFever on April 21, 2006 12:58 AM
This is such a big city area I was shocked!!
It was really amazing!
flew right above my car about 25 feet up!!

-
 -
by porter57 on April 21, 2006 04:07 AM
i see bald eagles a lot when i go fishing here in missouri.they also winter at a dam just north of here. one thing that really strikes me here lately is im seeing some kind of falcon regularly
in my neighborhood. and this really isnt the country here.its just barely in st louis county(about 2 blocks in) ive even seen em flying along gravois(busy street in south st louis)
they did a thing a long time ago introducing peregrines to downtown buildings in order to keep the pigeons in check. they built hacking boxes and placed them on the tall buildings downtown and put live caught or captive raised birds in em. looks like they have spread from downtown!!
by Jorgie on April 21, 2006 05:11 AM
We took the Inlnad Cruise to Alaska a couple years ago and there was magnificent Bald Eagles all over the place. One young man up there said that the Eagles up there were like Robins in Minnesota.

Jorgie
by SpringFever on April 21, 2006 07:57 AM
Wow that is cool...
I have a lot of hawks they love my squirrels [scaredy] but I think it is the same eagle I seen a few years ago same spot too...

-
 -
by porter57 on April 21, 2006 09:34 AM
you know.... i wouldnt mind if they ate a few of my thug squirrels. little creeps think they own the place. they actually tried to chase me out of my backyard once. i gave em that creepy stare and they all kind of slinked off to terrorize one of my nieghbors. guess they were mad cause i picked up all the acorns and burnt em.
by Thornius on April 21, 2006 10:02 AM
Ya know, squirrel gravy is MIGHTY tasty with biscuits.

-
 -
by SpringFever on April 21, 2006 11:21 AM
LMAO It was kinds funny when the tracks in the snow went round and round and suddenly ended [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [lala]
they plant all the acorn I don't find now I have to pull all the lil trees grrr [Mad]

-
 -
by Wrennie on April 21, 2006 07:03 PM
I was driving home from work, parallel to a creek and a bald eagle came up from the stream with a big old trout in his(her?) talons. I had to remind myself to steer! LOL!

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by SpringFever on April 21, 2006 08:02 PM
LOVE it nature at its best... I love to see things like that... [clappy]
Wish I could see it every day!!

-
 -
by gardenmom32210 on April 21, 2006 08:13 PM
We have 2 Eagles nests within 5 miles of us. They are beautiful to watch [thumb] Also the Jacksonville Zoo does Eagle rescue,so they have quite a few permanent residents. They are not caged in,because they can no longer fly. There is just a simple chain link fence around their area,so you get to see them up close.

I think Bald eagles are THE most majestic bird ever created [thumb]
by SpringFever on April 21, 2006 08:20 PM
Yep I agree with you.. I have seen a lot in the zoo but in the wild they are amazing!! [flower] [flower]

-
 -
by Momma D on April 21, 2006 09:36 PM
I was out back the other day when a bald eagle was flying over the lake. I got really excited and of course got the camera. I got some good pics. The osprey chased the eagle away after about a week. The beauty of that bird is breathtaking. Everytime I see one it stops me in my tracks.

-

Is this heaven?
by SpringFever on April 21, 2006 09:42 PM
WOW incredible Picture!!! [thumb] [clappy] [clappy] That is way too cool!
There is something almost magical about them huh!

-
 -
by Wrennie on April 22, 2006 11:33 PM
I went outside yesterday, at work, and saw a big 'hawk' coming from down the valley. I wondered if it was a red tailed cause it was larger than the sharp shinned that frequents town. As it got closer and I could see it better I saw a white head and how much bigger it was than I first thought, when it got really slow near the stream (we have 2 trout streams in town) I knew it was an osprey.
**funny I should see it the same day mommaD mentioned it!**
I LoVe living in a mountainous forest preserve

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by porter57 on April 24, 2006 01:05 PM
youll never believe this.
i was driving to a quiktrip in the neighborhood and i saw this squirrell who had a blonde strip running from his head all the way to his tail.
i swear it looked like one of those punk rocker mohawk hairdos. now they arent just acting punky,
their looking the part too!
by Thornius on April 24, 2006 02:13 PM
You had a partially albinistic Squirrel......either that or else its Mom had been foolin' around with a skunk.

-
 -
by porter57 on April 24, 2006 02:22 PM
hey thorny,ill be driving thru your town next thursday. heading to talladega.
ill honk as i go by.
by Thornius on April 25, 2006 09:24 AM
OK! I'll wave at ya! [wavey]

-
 -
by porter57 on April 25, 2006 03:19 PM
cool man!
you know,the first time i ever found out what a killdeer is was at a racetrack. id never seen em before. we went to the first dirt race at bristol one year and they were parking the campers on a gravel lot behind the track.
when we pulled into the lot,we saw an arrangement
of lawnchairs out in an open area and assumed someone was trying to reserve a special spot for someone who hadnt arrived yet(that happens a lot when people come from all over the country in campers,folks just want to camp togather and even though you aint supposed to ,folks try to mark out territory for their friends who may be coming in later,no big deal to me). after we had gotten settled and had time to roam, we took a walk, passed by the lawn chair memorial, and we saw a bird run off away from it, dragging a wing.
our forst thought was oh poor little thing!!
we actually followed it a bit till someone came up and explained to us the killdears nature of nesting on open ground, and the nonsitting mates hait of distracting intruders away from the nest.
the lawn chair memorial was protecting the nest form vehicles in the lot.
noone bothered this nest the whole weekend and thats a lot to expect from folks who arent particularly attentive to nature(you know,after and before, and during, partying harty)
its something ill always remember.
now here at home ,i recognize their call and know they are here ,even if i dont notice them.
i wonder, how many different species of birds use the same ruse?
i thought it was fantastic
by SpringFever on April 26, 2006 03:10 AM
That is soo cool porter.. I am happy someone noticed before it was too late! what a place to nest bristol raceway!

-
 -
by Av8trx on April 26, 2006 08:56 AM
Porter - great story! Someone taking the time to preserve them makes me smile - there are people who care [Cool]

My Mom lives in lower Michigan and she's noticed a large nest in the woods that surround her house - the DNR is coming out, they think it's the nest of the bald eagle that's been sighted in the area. I am excited to find out - although I've never seen one [clappy]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Katie - Zone 6a
by SpringFever on April 26, 2006 10:18 AM
that would be awsome AV ... I hope it is eagles that would be great!! and kool to watch them fly around!

-
 -
by dodge on May 15, 2006 01:18 PM
mamma de,

man your good with the camera........

you ought to be in hollywood.

dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by Karrie on May 23, 2006 03:53 PM
We went to reelfoot lake this late late winter the eagles nest there for the winter. We saw at least 15 to 20 my kids were in awe. I felt so fortunate, I found a new nest on the drive. I took a park ranger out to the area and he confirmed it was indeed a new nest that they had not tracked down till that day. The ranger was so impressed with me. He took my name and number and when he noticed lil heads popping up outta the nest he called me. We went out and sure enough there were 2. We went on mothers day to observe the osprey and actually caught sight of an eagle picking on him for his fishy. It was amazing how the osprey held his fish to aid in flight. Also saw a pelican on the lake. I have some pictures as soon as I get the loaded to share sight I will share them. I have some good pics of the eagles this winter also. They are the reason we went and got a good digital camera. I cannot believe all the beautiful white egrites (sp) that I see just going down the road here. They are beautiful as well. West Tennessee has opened the eyes of my whole family to bird watching, we love it. Still lost more to learn though. But there is nothing like seeing an eagle in the wild its an awsome sight.

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by Thornius on May 24, 2006 07:34 AM
West Tennessee is one of the best areas for unusual birds, especially shorebirds and waterfowl. I am in Middle Tennessee, in Nashville, and we don't have as big a variety of Shorebirds and Waterfowl as West Tennessee. We have more of the land-based birds.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: bald cypress seeds??| Next thread: Balloon Flowers »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: