The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Bird pictures 2

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Bird pictures.....| Next thread: Bird pictures 2 »
Back to Thread index
Pages: 2 3 1
by Wrennie on May 20, 2006 01:11 AM
I dont have any sort of zoom feature on my digital camera. Good thing I can get as close as I did or this barn swallow would have looked like a dot. :)They nest in three spots on the building my store is in. This one is perched on my front window.
 -

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by melcon6 on May 22, 2006 02:02 PM
 -

-

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by Thornius on May 23, 2006 12:46 PM
Nice male Downy Woodpecker, Melcon!

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.
by Stuspot on May 24, 2006 08:31 AM
It's kind of hard to see, but here's an oriole in our yard. [flower]

-
by Wrennie on May 25, 2006 01:10 AM
not hard to see. Good picture. The females have been in my cold mulch row and my yet unplanted veggie garden getting nesting materials. I'm not sure what they're taking from the soil...maybe a bug snack.

-
 -

-

by Triss on May 25, 2006 04:01 PM
Most spectacular site out my front window this evening. A mommy or daddy bird brought 3 babies to be fed at my suet feeder. My camera was not working so I took a video. These are a couple of the stills I captured from it. They are blurry cuz it was off video but really neat. I have no idea what kind of birds they are.

-

-

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by Triss on May 26, 2006 08:48 AM
I also want to post the link to the video so that you can see if you like. It is loaded at Photobucket and I am just not too sure how fast it will go on slower computers. But here it is.

Baby birds being fed

-
 -
by Thornius on May 26, 2006 10:11 AM
Triss, your birds are European Starlings or just Starlings here in the U.S. They are an exotic, invasive species, brought to Central Park In New York City about a century ago, from England, by an eccentric Park Avenue Millionaire who loved birds and Shakespeare. He decided to bring to America breeding populations of EVERY bird that Shakespeare EVER wrote about to get them established in America also. Most didn't survive, but the three species that did, European Starlings, House Sparrows, and Pigeons, not only survived but THRIVED and have almost eradicated many Native North American songbird species. One of the worst damaged species is the Eastern Bluebird that nearly became extinct due to nest site competition with Starlings and House Sparrows. Many Bird researchers, including myself have worked to design Bluebird nesting boxes that CAN be used by Bluebirds but NOT by Starlings or House Sparrows. We have been successful with several designs that are now commonly used and the Bluebird populations has dramatically increased in the last 30 Years. The three above species including Starlings have now spread from coast to coast and from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego in the New World. Incidentally, someone also imported European Starlings to Australia and other countries where they had never existed before.
I have about 30 Starlings that visit and strip my 8 feeders clean EVERY day. [tears]
Triss, Do a Google Image Search On European Starlings.

-
 -
by Triss on May 26, 2006 10:36 AM
Yep, that is them Thorny. I have had the same block of suet in the feeder for a couple of weeks now and so far they have not cleaned it out. The are too big to get to the hanging feeder that is under that space so the smaller birds still get fed as well. They are noisy lil things when the family of 4 comes to eat cuz the babies just cannot get fed fast enough.

-
 -
by Wrennie on May 26, 2006 11:06 AM
Use an upside down suet feeder. Starlings cant hang upside down on it to eat but woodpeckers nuthatches etc can [clappy]
Thorny which houses do you deem most successful in keeping out starlings and house sparrows? The slit opening? Screen top? Are there some I never heard of?

-
 -

-

by Thornius on May 26, 2006 03:11 PM
The best is the Kentucky Bluebird House developed at the University of Kentucky in 1988. Rather than a round or oval hole in front, it has a rectangular slot in the front big enough for Bluebirds but too small for Starlings or House Finches AND you don't need a drill to make one. You do have to get the size of the slot EXACTLY or it won't be able to keep out the Starlings and House Finches. The slot needs to be EXACTLY 1 1/8 inches high and 3 1/2 to 4 inches long to be the right size and should be at the top of the front of the box. Here is a picture of a slighty modified Kentucky Bluebird House. The 1 X 1 inch piece of wood on the front is NOT necessary and the top does not have to be slanted; it can be flat and the router work is not necessary either, unless you want beauty as well as function.

MODIFIED KENTUCKY BLUEBIRD HOUSE
 -

-
 -
by Wrennie on May 27, 2006 02:08 AM
Yay! [clappy] I sell those as 'sparrow resistant' bluebird houses. Never heard them called Kentucky. I told everyone who ever bought one to tell me how effective they are at keeping sparrows out and, of course, no one ever told me for sure one way or the other. [dunno]
I was hoping, and am glad you say they're good. Thanks [thumb]

-
 -

-

by Triss on June 01, 2006 02:24 PM
A pair of Goldfinch at my feeder

-

These guys are not the slightest bit frightful. The feeder is in the diningroom window and they ate breakfast and dinner with the kids eating today. Zack even stood up and got a close look and was less than a foot away from the window.

-
 -
by loz on June 09, 2006 05:23 AM
I love Goldfinches so much!!! How neat for the kids to be able to watch them so close.

Here is a few I took yesterday....I ran totally out of birdseed, which is VERY rare for me. And wouldn't you know, I've never had a dove actually in my windowfeeder until it was empty! [Razz]

-

Don't mind the birdpoop on the feeder....I clean it down everyday with a scrubber brush and by the following day it's full of poop again [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin]
 -
by Thornius on June 09, 2006 07:54 AM
Doves often come to feeders at this time of year. I have a pair that come to mine daily.

-
 -
by loz on June 09, 2006 08:01 AM
I have a lot of them that ground feed under my hanging feeder, but that was the first one I've noticed in my window feeder since we put it in back in April. [thumb]
by Bestofour on June 23, 2006 11:32 AM
I've never had a dove at a feeder either. I thought they were ground feeders.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by Merme on June 23, 2006 02:56 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Thornius:
Triss, your birds are European Starlings or just Starlings here in the U.S. They are an exotic, invasive species, brought to Central Park In New York City about a century ago
Thorny, thank you for this post. I was fascinated reading it, to know that other bird populations are on the rise.

Back in 1971 I had to do a research project for my biology class on the importation of European Starlings and their vast destruction, and it is something I've never forgotten.

Thanks again.

Merme

-
 -

"In the midst of winter, I learned there lives in me an invincible summer" Camus (maybe a paraphrase)
by penny in ontario on June 24, 2006 04:43 AM
I loved the dove pictures Loz,,, they are sooo cute, and the cooing noise they make, is so peaceful sounding compared to other birds.

-
 -

-
by loz on June 24, 2006 04:51 AM
I like them a lot too Penny, they seem so peaceful---and their cooing is very nice! [thumb]

They usually are ground feeders, I was surprised to see it up there.
by langford on June 24, 2006 06:18 AM
Well i'm glad you all get pretty birds..i get the ugly crows and crap..nothing cute..nothing pretty..just black ugly birds..and i keep feeding these nasty things..why i'm keep doing so and attracting these ugly critters is beyond me..
by Karrie on June 24, 2006 10:25 AM
Here is a pics of how I spent mothers day. We went to a lake and went on a boat ride. I got some of the best pictures.... and now that I have finally figured out how to post pics, I wanted to share them with you all!

Osprey nest
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j127/karrieatodd1/ospreynest.jpg

osprey fleeing the nest
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j127/karrieatodd1/ospreyfleeingnest.jpg

its kinda hard to see him, he is there though in the far corner.

Egret
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j127/karrieatodd1/c80a34f4.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j127/karrieatodd1/egretbyshore2.jpg

I am gonna post this picture and see if my resizeing works.

-

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by Karrie on June 24, 2006 10:27 AM
ok that din work I will keep working on it.

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by Triss on June 24, 2006 10:53 AM
Great pics Karrie!

Just take out your lil img on both sides plus their brackets and it should work fine.

-
 -
by Jiffymouse on June 25, 2006 11:52 AM
great pics karrie, and you just had erased part of the link when you were putting in the image tags. i fixed that for you. hope you don't mind!
by Karrie on June 26, 2006 04:51 AM
Thanks Jiffy! I appreciate your help. I would never mind a helping hand!

-
 -

Karrie's Photos
by Squirrel on June 26, 2006 09:27 AM
Great pix, Karrie. We see an egret at our boro park occasionally. They are so beautiful. Thanks for sharing. Sue

-
 -
What goes around comes around, so be nice!lol
by Karrie on June 26, 2006 11:11 AM
We have alot around here. My kids go crazy still even though they see them on a daily basis. I came home one day after setting up my pool and there was one perched on the side of it. I think our Rainbow fish toys swimming around in the pool threw him off. I sure know when I pulled in the drive way and he up and flew right past my windshield, he threw me off. lol [Big Grin]

-
 -

Karrie's Photos
by Wrennie on June 29, 2006 01:12 AM
 -
The barn swallow babies are getting close to fledging now.

-
 -

-

by loz on July 08, 2006 04:20 PM
Aww how cute! [muggs]

I just took this picture tonight! [thumb]

-
by Triss on July 08, 2006 04:23 PM
Awesome pic Loz!

-
 -
by loz on July 08, 2006 04:44 PM
I hung it from my porch instead of down in the garden....this way I get a birds eye view of them......no pun intended really.... [Big Grin]

I love those little guys because they aren't shy at all! [thumb]
by Triss on July 09, 2006 11:40 AM
Do they buzz your head with their feeder about you? I have had a couple chase one another and buzz right in front of my face. Talk about an experience!

-
 -
by loz on July 09, 2006 03:22 PM
Oh yeh, they fight and one flew so close to my head the other night I felt the breeze of it going by.......I thought it was going to hit me for sure.

For being so little they sure like to fight a lot! [Big Grin]

Mark loves sitting out there watching them, and I'm glad he's taken an interest in them, and the other birds. [thumb]
by Thornius on July 09, 2006 04:29 PM
I STILL don't have any hummers in my yard yet and I have THREE feeders out now and a virtual forest of RED, Balsam, Verbena, Salvia, Gladiolus and Cannas.

-
 -
by Wrennie on July 10, 2006 12:23 AM
Cool backlit picture Loz. (can I use?)

You've gotten them lots in the past havent you Thorny?
Stransge how some species just disappear for no apparent reason at times. I've talked to C.L.O and Audubon about it. Sometimes its just as much a mystery to them. Ya never know what the neighbors have done to alter the area.(cut things down, use insecticides etc...)

-
 -

-

by loz on July 10, 2006 03:30 AM
Sure Wrennie! [thumb]

Thorny, I can't believe you don't have any! I wish you did....... [kissies]
by afgreyparrot on July 10, 2006 05:01 AM
Loz...that photo is awesome! [thumb]

Bird Man...that is terrible that you don't have hummingbirds! [shocked]

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by penny in ontario on July 10, 2006 05:57 AM
What an amazing picture Loz!!!!

-
 -

-
by SpringFever on July 10, 2006 08:35 AM
I had a little friend today he seems not to mind me being close to it at all.. He eats bathes and drinks in my pond.. Cute little thing!!

-

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by Thornius on July 10, 2006 01:57 PM
Spring, your little friend is a Chickadee, probably a Black-Capped Chickadee. We have the Carolina Chickadees in Tennessee where I live the are smaller and daintier than the Black Capped. I have five chickadees that hang out in my yard.

Folks I have seen Two Hummers this year, just not in my yard, yet.

-
 -
by SpringFever on July 10, 2006 04:00 PM
Thanks Thornius!! He is quite friendly really and soo cute .. I fill the feeder and them and the squirrels go at it .. [thumb]

-
 -
by Wrennie on July 11, 2006 12:43 AM
Chickadees love sunflower & nuts. And mealworms. I had one almost land on my hand when I was filling hte mealworm tray last year.
I have some baby Chickadees coming to my feeder now. And a jeuvy rose breasted grosbeak.
The goldfinch,late breeders, are swarming too.Bunch of flirts.

-
 -

-

by Thornius on July 11, 2006 05:48 AM
I have a Juvy Carolina Chickadee this year, too, and a Juvy Downy Woodpecker, Juvy Common Grackle, 6 Juvy Carolina Wrens and about 30 Juvy House Sparrows with more on the way.

-
 -
by SpringFever on July 12, 2006 06:14 AM
I just put out my thistle sock and I have seen Gold Finches ... But holy KAMOONGA I seen some gold bird with black markings the size of a robin [shocked] Does any of you all know what this was I tried to get a picture but it was chased off by other birds [dunno]

-
 -
by Thornius on July 12, 2006 08:37 AM
Sounds like it could be an Evening Grosbeak or msome sort of Oriole, possibly a Baltimore Oriole. Or maybe a female Scarlet Tanager or Summer Tanager.

-
 -
by Wrennie on July 12, 2006 09:03 AM
I'd guess oriole if its that big. Could be grosbeak but he shouldnt be there this time of year. Tanagers that big looking?
white winged crossbill? meadowlark?

-
 -

-

by Thornius on July 12, 2006 10:18 AM
Tanagers are easily Robin-sized but they are more insect eaters. I saw a female Summer Tanager carrying nest material here in Tennessee about a month ago.

-
 -
by SpringFever on July 12, 2006 11:24 AM
I know nothing about any of them I am really going to try to get a picture!! It was not at the feeder just in the grass!! I was just out at the time it was!! It was sooo pretty! I hope to see it again!!

-
 -
by Thornius on July 12, 2006 11:57 AM
Spring, Try doing a Google Image Search on those birds and see if any of them are it, and if you CAN get a picture, Wrennie or I can probably identify it instantly.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Bird pictures.....| Next thread: Bird pictures 2 »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: