The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Christmas cookie lists, anyone???

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
by hisgal2 on November 11, 2005 09:50 AM
Hi there...

Does anyone make lots of cookies for Christmas?? I do! I love making Christmas cookies. I usually don't start to make my cookie list until after Thanksgiving, but I've had them on my mind, so I started my list. I get Taste of Home magazine and always find some really pretty cookies to make. Has anyone else started to make their cookie list?? What do you normally make?

-
 -

-
by Bill on November 11, 2005 10:27 AM
Not wanting to tarnish my macho man image here... but once upon a time (a long time ago) I used to spend many days baking Christmas cookies every year to box up and send off to the "special" people in my life, but I quit doing that for some reason. (I don't really celebrate any holidays anymore except Thanksgiving... oink oink!) [Embarrassed]

When I did the cookie "list" it basically included ALL of the cookies on my Christmas cookie pages. I guess that's the reason I published all of my Grandmas cookie recipes in the first place.... long ago. The snickerdoodles and rosettes have always been my favorites. I wish I could bake as well as Grandma did but no one will ever top her treats!!! She was the BEST grandma in the whole world! [Love]

-
by angelblossom on November 13, 2005 06:08 AM
Yep Bill something to be said 'bout grandma's cooking!! Yum- yum!! My grandmother made the BEST Parker-house rolls EVER!!!!! [clappy] Christmas was the Best at Granny's Fudge>(many varieties), divinity, hot-cinnamon rock candy, pound cakes, home made peanut brittle, chocolate covered peanut clusters, white chocolate dipped pretzels, and many more .. .
I always counted on her making my favorite cookies .. chocolate surprise and chocolate thumbprint cookies.... here are the reciepes.... [Love] [Love]

CHOCOLATE SURPRISE COOKIES

1/2 cup shortening Bake at 350
1 egg
1 cup sugar
1 1/4 cup flour
1 1/4 cup milk
1 teaspn. vanilla
1/2 teaspn.salt
1/2 cup cocoa
large marshmellows cut in half
1 can chocolate frosting, 1cup chopped almonds (nuts optional)
cream shortening and sugar untill fluffy, add egg and vanilla mix well, add all other ingredients EXCEPT marshmellows,nuts, frosting.
mix well,,,
Drop by teaspoons on greased cookie sheet Bake ONLY 8 minutes remove from oven place cut marshmellow in center of cookie.. Bake 2 more minutes,, remove from oven and let cool,frost with chocolate frosting or flavor of choice and sprinkle tops with chopped almonds.. these cookies are light,and soft, bite into simular of a mini-hostess ding-dong yumm yumm

Chocolate Thumbprint cookies

1 cup very finely gound almonds
1(16oz) container Dark chocolate frosting
4 Tablespoons (1/2stick) butter at room temp.
2 1/2 Graham Cracker crumbs
1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
48 hershey chocolate kiss candies

Pour ground almonds into a pie pan and set aside.
Beat chocolate frosting and butter in a large bowl with a hand mixer untill WELL blended.
Stir in graham cracker crumbs and almond extract.
Shape into 1 inch balls
roll each ball in almonds to coat. place balls on a cookie sheet.
Using your thumb (or finger) make a deep indentation in the center of each ball.
Place a hershey kiss in indentation refridgerate for 30 minutes... takes about 20 minutes to make and goes fast so you'd better double this reciepe!!!!!

Enjoy!!!!!

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by tkhooper on November 17, 2005 04:40 AM
I saw this one and it immediately went on my list. It just looks to yummy and easy to make to pass up.

Philedelphia Cherry Danish Dessert

Prep time: 15 minutes Total time: 40 minutes

2 cans refrigerated crescent dinner rolls, divided
2 tubs (8 oz each) Philadelphia Light cream cheese spread
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar, divided
1 egg white
1 tsp vanilla
1 can (21 oz) cherry pie filling
1 to 2 Tbsp fat free milk

Preheat over to 350F. Unroll 1 of the cans of crescent dough. Place in greased 13x9 inch baking pan. Press onto bottom of pan to form crust firmly pressing seams together to seal.

Beat cream cheese spread, 3/4 cup of the sugar, the egg white and vanilla with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Spread onto crust, cover with pie filling. Unroll 2nd can of crescent dough onto large sheet of wax paper. Pat out dough to form 13x9 retangle, pressing seams together to seal. Invert over pie filling to form top crust, discard wax paper.

Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool at least 20 minutes gradually add milk to remaining 3/4 cup sugar, beating until well blended and thick. Drizzle over warm dessert. Cut into 24 retangles to serve. Store leaftover dessert in refrigerator.

Makes 24 servings.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: