The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Another tulip question

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Another tulip question| Next thread: Another Wasp question »
Back to Thread index
by Cheyenne on May 18, 2005 01:23 AM
In a flower garden at an old house place there are a lot of tulip. The garden is being removed and grass sown. I can have the tulip bulbs, but I've got to get them "now". Will they survive if I dig them now? They have bloomed and are 'about' to die back.

I sure would like to save these --- as they are beautiful tulips!

-
by RottieLover on May 19, 2005 09:44 PM
I would have a bed ready for them as soon as you dig them up from the house and plant them right away and water well. You may loose some and maybe not, hope that helps [muggs] Someone might know better than I....
by phoenix on May 19, 2005 10:01 PM
quote:
I would have a bed ready for them as soon as you dig them up from the house and plant them right away and water well.
I THINK ROTTIELOVER IS CORRECT I WOULD FOLLOW THAT
ADVICE SINCE THEY ARE READY TO DIE BACK ANYWAY JUST PLANT THEM RIGHT AWAY AND WHEN THE GREENS START TO TURN BROWN YOU CAN CLIP OFF THE BROWN PART (leave all the green it feeds the bulbs for next years growth)AND YOU SHOULD BE O.K. [thumb]

-
 -
http://photobucket.com/albums/y203/lilpuppolo/
"If you want to talk bollocks and discuss the meaning of life,you're better off downing a bottle of whiskey.That way you're drunk by the time you start to take yourself seriously"
by obywan59 on May 19, 2005 10:14 PM
Cheyenne, you don't have to plant all the bulbs in their final spot right yet. You can do what is known as "heeling in" where you simply dig a trench and place all the bulbs with their leaves intact in the trench, covering the bulbs with soil, but leaving the leaves exposed. Then when the leaves die back, you plant the bulbs or store them for planting this fall.

-
Terry

May the force be with you

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Another tulip question| Next thread: Another Wasp question »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: