The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Hummingbird Progress

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Hummingbird Progress| Next thread: Hummingbird Progress 2 »
Back to Thread index
Pages: 3 2 1
by Thornius on March 23, 2006 02:50 PM
The first report of a Black-Chinned Hummingbird was made today (3-22-06) from San Antonio, TX, on birdersworld.com forum. Thanks to Cindy for the wonderful site hummingbirds.net

Hummingbird Migration

Click on the, "Science" tab and then choose, "Migration Maps" to see the LATEST ACTUAL sightings of Ruby-Throated Hummers on their migration north. Right now the main migration body is along the Memphis, TN/Little Rock, AR line and moving north at about 10 miles a day.

Cindy, 3 days ago a single sighting was reported along the West Tennessee/Western Kentucky border about 80 miles northwest of Nashville, and one was reported the day before that in the Crossville/Knoxville, TN area, in East Tennessee.

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.
by porter57 on March 24, 2006 06:30 AM
perhaps im chomping at the bit a little but when i saw the report of one 3/21 in northern tennessee,i filled my feeder and put it out.
from the looks of things ,they will probably hit st louis in the next couple weeks. not much growing here to attract them though.the cold has kept most every thing down but daffs and crocus.
as long as we dont have another big freeze i think the feeder will be alright. didnt fill it all the way so if it does get that cold before i can pull it in,it has room for expansion. i dont know if theres any other consequence to leaving it out when it might freeze. any input?
mike
by Triss on March 24, 2006 06:41 AM
That is a great site!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by Thornius on March 24, 2006 10:44 AM
Today Male Ruby-Throateds were seen in northern South Carolina and in the Atlanta, GA area.

Porter, we birders keep our hummer feeders out 365 days a year. A few West Coast hummers stay in the US in Winter . The cold doesn't bother them at all but they HAVE TO HAVE food and nectar. We are most likely to get Rufous Hummingbirds in the Nashville, TN/St. Louis area. It is good that you are setting yours out now! I would have mine out now but am out of sugar (see my signature at bottom). When I get paid next Friday I will get my two NEW feeders out and ready. If you do get a male Ruby-Throated be SURE to report it to the above site.

-
 -
by Thornius on March 25, 2006 02:54 PM
Ruby-Throated sightings for 3/24/06 is one male near Austin, TX. That is all.

-
 -
by Thornius on March 28, 2006 02:04 AM
A late addition to the Hummer migration. Two days ago, 3/25, a male Ruby-Throated Hummingbird was seen on the Central Arkansas/Central Missouri border. GET READY ST. LOUIS!!!! [grin] [grin] [grin]

-
 -
by porter57 on March 28, 2006 06:50 AM
great news!!!
however im afraid they will pass me right by.
there isnt much blooming and from the looks of my plantings,it,ll be a while. crocus's, daffs and hyacyinths are the only thing in flower.
even the tulips are holding back.
the feeder is about the only thing to attract them. that siting 3/25 sounds like it may have been near bull shoals lake. going there in a couple weeks myself.
by Thornius on March 28, 2006 07:19 AM
HANG YOUR FEEDER UP, PORTER, FOR GOODNESS SAKE!!! THEY'RE ALMOST AT YOUR DOORSTEP!!! [scaredy] [scaredy] [scaredy]

-
 -
by Thornius on March 28, 2006 01:52 PM
Several sightings of male Ruby-Throated Hummingbirds across the Eastern US on a line running from Ft. Smith, AR. to Wilmington, NC. today 3/27/2006. The reports were made within 50 miles north and south of this line.
On a walk with my grandson for about a mile today, no migrants were noted yet except for a Brown Thrasher, which are intermittent here throughout the Winter and common in the Summer. Vigorous signs of territory setting, mating, and even nest building going on. No young noted.

-
 -
by porter57 on March 29, 2006 05:53 AM
its up!!!
by Thornius on March 29, 2006 09:56 AM
The migration line has moved to a line from Tulsa, OK to Kitty Hawk, NC. People along this line should be prepared for a SEVERE Hummer Invasion. WATCH THE SKYS! KEEP WATCHING THE SKYS!!! [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [scaredy]

-
 -
by porter57 on March 29, 2006 11:40 AM
i really like your reports dude
i just watch my feeder though.
i got 50 years old peepers and i dont think i could pick out a hummer from much further away.
once they get here tho, they are much easier to pick out. i had a ritual last year while working the evening shift of sitting on the porch with coffee and watching the feeder which was and still is right above me. i had one come down from the feeder and hover not 3 inches from my face to check me out. i saw several different birds and got to realize their different personalities. some were very bold ,while others were very nervous about having a human so near them. but they all sucumbed to the nectar in the feeder whether i was there or not. their hunger truly drives them. and after they left in the fall i witnessed a couple larger birds,not hummers, feeding from the feeder. i think i read something here about what type they were . dont recall it now but i was sure suprised to see them trying to get to the sugar water.
by Thornius on March 29, 2006 02:31 PM
Porter, my "peepers" are almost 54 years old, Rookie! [Big Grin] Hummers are notorious for LITERALLY getting in your face. They will even get in your face and scold you if your feeders are empty or the nectar spoiled. Hummers are classed as the MOST vicious and aggressive birds in the Avian Kingdom despite their tiny size. Many times I have had them fly up in my face, too.
The larger birds you are getting could be Orioles. They live largely on fruit AND nectar and you can buy special nectar feeders designed just FOR Orioles. You and I get Baltimore Orioles AND Orchard Orioles in the Summer, with the Orchard Orioles being the more common of the two.
I am putting out my two NEW Hummer feeders day after tomorrow and will make regular reports on the progress there. HUmmers will come to the feeders from approx. April 1st to May 1st. Many of these will be males. Then there will be little or no activity at your feeders until about July 4th. SUDDENLY your feeders will be swarmed by Hummers, mostly females and young until they have migrated out of your area sometime in the middle to end of October.

-
 -
by patches1414 on March 29, 2006 03:10 PM
Thanks Cindy! [thumb]

This is an awesome site and now I've got it in my favorites. There was some great information there too! [Wink] [thumb]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by patches1414 on March 29, 2006 03:19 PM
That's wonderful news Thornius! [clappy]

I'm right by St. Louis and I marked my calendar to put my hummer feeders out April 1st. But now, I will put them out tomorrow. [Smile] Thanks so much for the update! [thumb] By the way, my peepers are even older than yours! [tears]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by Thornius on March 29, 2006 04:15 PM
A new (and most northerly) report of a male Ruby-Throated yet. On March 26 one was confirmed in the Richmond, VA area. LOOK OUT!, Loz and Miss Jamie! [scaredy] [scaredy] [scaredy]

-
 -
by melcon6 on March 29, 2006 06:52 PM
Omg, Thorny, your accounts are sending us all into a hummer frenzy!! [clappy] THEY'RE COMING, THEY'RE COMING!!!!! When can I put my feeder up? [nutz] The good thing about putting it up so early is , I really don't have to worry about it going bad, it's colder than the refridgerator out there! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Porter, just to let you know, my hummmers LOVE Daffodils. I never knew this , but witnesed it the last few years. [thumb]

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by Thornius on March 30, 2006 12:08 AM
My Daffodils have run the gauntlet and are dead by the time the hummers have arrived.

-
 -
by loz on March 30, 2006 01:01 AM
quote:
On March 26 one was confirmed in the Richmond, VA area. LOOK OUT!, Loz and Miss Jamie
Woohooo, that made my day Thorny!!!! My neighbor said she was putting her feeders out the first of the month and I thought that was just a bit early, but I guess not! [grin]
by Thornius on March 30, 2006 03:39 AM
THE HUMMERS ARE SWEEPING UP WEST TENNESSEE JUST 125 MILES WEST OF ME! AND HAVE REACHED HUNTSVILLE, AL 100 MILES SOUTH OF ME! HELP! HELP! I KNOW......GOTTA HIDE! THEY'RE GONNA GET ME!!! ARRrghhh..... [shocked] [shocked] [scaredy] [angel]

-
 -
by obywan59 on March 30, 2006 04:50 AM
I just made up my first batch of nectar and hung my feeder out just in case. It's still early here, though. I didn't see one last year till April 18th. I'm further south than Richmond, but in a cooler zone. Elevation 2800 feet.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by Bill on March 30, 2006 07:36 AM
So far, at least one Ruby Throated and 3 Rufous Hummingbirds have returned to their summer home at Cedar Hill. [grin]

-
by loz on March 30, 2006 08:19 AM
I didn't think Ruby Throated Hummers were in the west.....I wish we had more than just them here in the east.
by Thornius on March 30, 2006 09:43 AM
We get Rufous Hummingbirds in the Winter but only one or two per Eastern State and/or Province.

-
 -
by loz on March 30, 2006 11:55 AM
Thorny, I wonder why it is that they don't spread out slowly year after year this way......Weird how that works.
by Thornius on March 30, 2006 12:54 PM
In the Spring, the Eastern vacationing Rufous return to the West to raise their families apparently. They are very rare in the Winter. I have seen ONE in eighteen years, and that was 17 years ago. Once you get a Lifebird though, you can ALWAYS recognize it if you ever see one again.

-
 -
by afgreyparrot on March 30, 2006 09:50 PM
OK...I can't stand it any longer.
My feeders are going up today, along with all those bright red bows I tie all over the place to catch their eye.

Mine aren't usually here until April 15th, but you just never know!

-

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Thornius on March 31, 2006 12:30 AM
According to the maps they've already passed you and me up, Cindy, although I ain't seen any......YET! [Frown] [Big Grin] My new feeders are going up tomorrow! [clappy] [clappy] [thumb]

-
 -
by porter57 on April 01, 2006 04:55 AM
looks like they made it into missouri
from the looks of the map its the cape girardeau area.
feeders are locked and loaded here in st louis!
by Thornius on April 01, 2006 10:04 AM
Picked up a 4-pack of rechargeable batteries and a new pair of binoculars today. Feeders go up in the morning. I'm ready.

-
 -
by loz on April 01, 2006 11:30 AM
I'm putting mine up this weekend just in case.....so is my neighbor. [thumb]

I think this hummer migration map site is fantastic....I also like that you can look at the migration in previous years too! [thumb]
by porter57 on April 02, 2006 12:45 AM
geez,i checked the map an hour ago and they only showed as far north as mid missouri.
now they are showing clear into canada?
thorny.got any input?
something seems strange to me
was the site hacked?
by netty on April 02, 2006 01:38 AM
I LOVE that website! It has inspired me to plant even more Hummer friendly plants in the yard! I also noticed that something seems strange with the migration map today. Surely they can't be this far north yet...they will cold AND hungry! [dunno] [dunno]

-
 -
by loz on April 02, 2006 01:49 AM
Maybe it's an April Fools Joke...I bet that's what it is.....it has to be....no way are they everywhere on that map like that all on the same day....
by netty on April 02, 2006 01:57 AM
Oh ya... I see that this Ivory Billed hummingbird only appears once a year [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
by loz on April 02, 2006 02:08 AM
[Big Grin] I didn't even see that...I just figured it had to be an April Fools joke.... [Big Grin]
by porter57 on April 02, 2006 02:25 AM
fooled me for sure!!!
ive been out in the yard all day watching for the attack!!
by afgreyparrot on April 02, 2006 10:30 PM
Okie Dokie...I'm ready. [grin]
I have 3 of my hummingbird feeders out, with my red ribbons tied around them. My daughter used to make fun of me for tying the plastic ribbons around the feeders...until last year. I had hummingbirds for two weeks already, and she hadn't seen any at her feeders. So I took some of the ribbon to her house and tied it around her feeders, and a few hours later she called and said that she had several hummingbirds!

-

As soon as the hummingbirds show up I'll put the rest of the feeders out...I have 2 beautiful glass feeders I got for Christmas...one from Rachel and one from Bill. I can't wait to hang them up! I'll get some nice pictures with those.

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Thornius on April 03, 2006 04:38 AM
Good job, Cindy! The Nashville, TN area had its FOS (First Of Season, a birder's abbreviation) Ruby-Throated Hummingbird on March 31st at the home of Tommy and Virginia Curtis, birding associates of mine on Tn-bird, in Smithville, TN, a resort community on top of the Eastern Highland Rim about 50-60 miles east of Nashville, TN a(my daughter was born in Smithville, TN). Tommy and Virginia are famous for being the ONLY people to host a male Rufous Hummingbird in Tennessee in the Winter of 2004-2005. They called him "Willie" because every evening they would say, "Will he(Willie) be back tomorrow?" He stayed the ENTIRE Winter with them.

-
 -
by Thornius on April 03, 2006 04:39 AM
Here is a picture of my NEW Hummer feeder I took yesterday 5 minutes after hanging it.

Thorn's Hummer Haven
 -

-
 -
by Triss on April 03, 2006 05:10 AM
I like that feeder Thorny. I need to get a few more as well. Last night I had 3 hummers taking turns at my two feeders. It was a lot of fun to watch.

-
 -
by Thornius on April 03, 2006 05:51 AM
They have that feeder at our Big Lots for $1.99.

-
 -
by Triss on April 03, 2006 05:55 AM
It looks like a larger version of mine. I saw some kinda like that at WM for under $5 also.

-
 -
by Triss on April 03, 2006 06:20 AM
Here is my most recent visitor to the feeder.

-

-
 -
by Thornius on April 03, 2006 06:26 AM
The Hummers have reached CENTRAL OHIO!!! [shocked]

Triss Your hummer appears to be a male Rufous.

-
 -
by porter57 on April 03, 2006 07:01 AM
according to the map their here in st louis
havent seen one yet but we have some wicked weather right now
by Thornius on April 03, 2006 08:15 AM
A SECOND Ruby-Throated Hummer was reported at the feeders of Tommy and Virginia Curtis in Smithville, TN. This time it is a female. Also a Hummer was reported in the Memphis, TN area today.

-
 -
by Thornius on April 03, 2006 08:20 AM
Loz, "The Hummer's heals are at thy shore, Maryland, my Maryland!"

-
 -
by njoynit on April 03, 2006 11:10 AM
So do black chinned& ruby throated arrive at different times.???Normally I don't see many black chinned,but thats what I've seen so far this year.I'm not certain,but think is 3 different ones& one has very bright colors.I've got red petunias& gaura right now& think he checked out my bromalaid flowers,but they are not all the way open yet& salvia.I've got my feeders up.
Also...I had a black hummer end of season last year.He was smaller& forget what he was,but he's not in my book& think was told he may have blew off course.I rember his area was mexico& wintered lower mexico. I've not been able to snap any hummer pics as they quiet speedy this year.maybe once more stuffs in bloom.flightly lil devils.

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03
by Thornius on April 03, 2006 12:26 PM
The only kind of hummer we get in Tennessee is the Ruby-Throated so that is the one that I am familiar with. I know the Black-Chinned occurs in Texas but we do not get them here. Hummingbirds.net can tell you about the Black-Chinned.

Since I posted last we have reports of 3 more male Hummers in Tennessee 2 near Nashville, TN where I live. These appeared AFTER a line of thunderstorms passed our area. Migrating birds ride on the updrafts of thunderstorms and constantly "drop out" of the storms as they pass areas. So in the Spring and Fall, after a thunderstorm passes look for your migrants to appear in your area as soon as the skies clear.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Hummingbird Progress| Next thread: Hummingbird Progress 2 »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: