The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Any idea what kind of bird?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Triss on March 17, 2006 07:26 AM
I did not get a pic. When I stepped out on the porch to get the boys from the bus I heard a chirp and looked around. At the suet feeder I have out was a tiny little bird, it was like it said hello. [grin]

So the bird is very small, only about 3 inches long, it has a yellow underbelly, slight green tinge to it and grayish wings with a white and yellow stripe.

Any ideas???

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by loz on March 17, 2006 07:42 AM
Thorny will probably know.... [thumb]

He figured out my red winged blackbirds... [thumb]
by Thornius on March 17, 2006 07:54 AM
Hard to say may be either a Ruby-Crowned or Golden-Crowned Kinglet. It could also be Pine Warbler or some other Warbler species. I am in the Eastern US and we have quite a few different birds from you, Triss and Many of your birds are not found here in the East. I f I coulsd see it I could quickly figure it out even if I had never seen your bird before. You might also want to check some Goldfinches in your area. Try using Google Image Search to look up these birds that I mentioned.

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.
by loz on March 17, 2006 08:00 AM
I was thinking some type of goldfinch too....but heck, I don't know that much about bird ID.

Hope you figure it out Triss! [thumb]
by Triss on March 17, 2006 08:08 AM
Definately NOT the warbler or goldfinches. They are too brilliant for what I had. The Ruby Crowned looks the closest cept this on I did not notice the red on top of the head. Could have been a female, I guess. I am really going to try and get a pic, but this is the first time I have seen a bird at the feeder.

THANK YOU!!

-
 -
by Thornius on March 17, 2006 08:13 AM
Triss, you might want to get a good field guide for your area of the country. The best out right now is, "The Sibley Field Guide to Birds of Western North America". It costs about $20 - $25 and is rated the BEST ever made for North American Birds. I have the Eastern edition and there is a bigger one by Sibley that includes ALL the birds of North America.

-
 -
by Triss on March 17, 2006 08:27 AM
I know, it is on my list of things to get. Just have not had the extra funds for it. I cannot wait to get it though cuz I am working hard now to attract birds and I want to be able to tell the kids what they actually are.

-
 -
by pagarden on March 18, 2006 01:50 AM
my kids LOVE watching the birds in the yard! they are the ones who made the birdhouses i need to put up! they grab my binoculars just as fast as i do when they see 'em out there! my 5 yr old knows who the chickadees are and sings to them... "chickadee-dee-dee......chickadee-dee-dee" LOL
by Triss on March 18, 2006 02:25 AM
That is too cute. Mine are very excited that we have feeders out. They want to put the hummer feeders out too but I keep telling them that I think it is too soon.

-
 -
by Thornius on March 18, 2006 05:17 AM
I bought two new hummingbirds at Big Lots last week. My old ones literally exploded and crumbled in my hands from old age last Summer. Here in Tennessee, I will hang my new hummer feeders in about 2-3 weeks they should arrive about then.

-
 -
by loz on March 18, 2006 05:40 AM
[clappy] I can't WAIT for the hummers to return!!!!

I have 2 plastic feeders, and 2 really pretty glass ones....come on hummers!!! [thumb]
by Triss on March 18, 2006 06:13 AM
Hey Bill, When can I expect hummers around here???

-
 -
by Bill on March 19, 2006 12:42 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Triss:
I expect the first "scouts" to show up any day now. The Red Currants are just starting to bloom. I have 3 feeders up and will add more as soon as my Hummers return home! [grin]

-
by Triss on March 19, 2006 04:25 AM
Thanks Bill. I will make some food today and put my feeder out tomorrow!!!

Those flowers are beautiful! Gonna have to put that on my list!

-
 -
by Bill on March 20, 2006 08:40 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Triss:
Today!!!! [grin]

-
by loz on March 20, 2006 09:03 AM
No way!!!! [shocked] You had a hummer today!!! I bet your so happy!!!! I can honestly say I'm so jealous [Big Grin] ...I miss those little guys so bad.....
by melcon6 on March 20, 2006 09:04 AM
Aw, Bill , that's AWESOME!!!!! You aren't kidding me are you, you really saw a hummer today? I am so jealous, I'm going to try to find if I posted my first hummer siting here last year and find out when, I can't wait!!!

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by Triss on March 20, 2006 11:53 AM
You got one TODAY Bill. WOW that is awesome. So what kind was it??? Did you get a picture???

And would the hummers like a feeder in the shade or sun better??? I have windows on both the North and South side of the house and do not know where I should hang my feeder.

-
 -
by Thornius on March 20, 2006 12:36 PM
Sun is probably the best, Triss

-
 -
by Triss on March 20, 2006 12:52 PM
Thanks Thorny!

-
 -
by Triss on March 21, 2006 05:43 AM
I put my feeder on the sunny side of the house this morning, and this afternoon I got my first hummer!!!

-

I am so excited!

-
 -
by Thornius on March 21, 2006 08:32 AM
I JUST bought that same feeder, Triss!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
by Triss on March 21, 2006 08:55 AM
Cool Thorny, I like it cuz of the ring around the bottom for the bird to sit on!

-
 -
by loz on March 21, 2006 09:44 AM
I also have the same feeder, bought it last year.... [thumb]
by Thornius on March 21, 2006 03:10 PM
I was gonna set mine out tonight, but I'm out of sugar.

-
 -
by Triss on March 22, 2006 12:48 AM
That is not a good thing to be out of. I moved mine to the window I can see from the computer. BUT I think it is too close to the wind chimes. It is breezy today and they are making a lot of noise, so now I have to move the chimes. The hummers are getting close but are startling pretty easily.

-
 -
by loz on March 22, 2006 01:47 AM
I might set a feeder inside of my window bird feeder and see if I can get some really close up shots of them.... [grin]

When they come that is.... [Roll Eyes]
by Triss on March 22, 2006 02:31 AM
Or maybe right above Loz. The other birds may keep the hummers away of that window feeder ends up full of them. KWIM?

-
 -
by loz on March 22, 2006 02:48 AM
[thumb] I might just my hummer feeder on it for a while...hey wait a minute, it came with hooks to hang a feeder from! [grin] Maybe I'll just do that for a while, get a few close ups and then move the feeders. [Smile]
by Triss on March 22, 2006 03:02 AM
Good idea!

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: