The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

BEST! Carolina Wren Picture

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Thornius on February 11, 2006 01:11 AM
This is the best Carolina Wren picture I have ever seen. It was taken last week by a member of the birdersworld.com forum who goes by the name,"countrybum". She lives in southwestern Ohio and took this picture with her new camera.

CAROLINA WREN
 -

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.
by mom54 on February 11, 2006 03:10 AM
They are the busiest birds ever. They sing up a storm and build nests anywhere!!!!!!! Every Spring we have to check out the lawnmowers and grill brfore we get them going. And make sure you check under a vehicle if you haven't used it for a while.!!!!!!!!!!! [Cool]

-
by Bestofour on February 11, 2006 03:39 AM
That IS the best picture ever!

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by MissJamie on February 11, 2006 03:44 AM
wow that is soooo pretty! I didn't know they were so fat though [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
*~*Last night I played a blank tape at full blast. The mime next door went nuts.
*~* http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2125497034
by Oui on February 11, 2006 04:06 AM
Puffy!!!!! I saw one of those in my yard investigating an area I just cleared of leaves.

Was wondering what it was..Thanks for clearing that up Birdman
by comfrey on February 11, 2006 08:35 AM
Is this the same bird that makes those nest up under the eves of the house or on the side of barn walls???

-
 -
by Thornius on February 11, 2006 01:10 PM
That is probably a Barn Swallow, Eastern Phoebe, or even American Robin. Wrens are cavity nesters. They will build in a nest box or even in a hanging basket with a plant, or an old purse if left hanging. I've even heard of them nesting in an old pair of rubber boots in a garage.

-
 -
by comfrey on February 11, 2006 01:49 PM
Ok...I thought it was some sort of wren, guess I was wroung. We had a bird have no clue even what it looked like now, But it made a nest in a rusted out place above the back wheel well of our van, We had to leave it parked for quite sometime before the babies hatched and flew away...Your story reminded me of this.

-
 -
by mom54 on February 13, 2006 02:28 AM
It is a Wren. The Carolina Wren makes a nest whereever they can. I've had one build a nest in my clothespin hanger!!!!! A friend of my had a jacket airing out and one started to build a nest in the pocket. They build in hanging baskets, etc. You really have to be careful watering them. They're not afraid of humans.

-
by Thornius on February 13, 2006 03:18 AM
I had a Carolina Wren run under the chair I was sitting in and hop up on my foot, once. [shocked] [nutz]

-
 -
by patches1414 on February 15, 2006 10:10 PM
What an AWESOME picture!!! I just love to hear them sing. I could listen for hours. I had a wren house outside my bedroom window and they never seem to wear down. I am hoping they will be back in the house again this year.

patches1414

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by PlantFaerie on February 17, 2006 10:06 AM
Gosh I would love to have those little fellas! I have nooks and crannies everywhere in my back yard and my porch! Is there anything that attracts them? I live in Richmond Indiana, do they even come here? I'm a very begginer when it comes to birds. I put out foot and suet and watch em eat! lol

-

Colonel Jack O'Neill "I ask you, what could possibly be in my eye that could explain all this? "

-

by Thornius on February 18, 2006 03:57 AM
You are very MUCH in the range of the Carolina Wrens! I find they like peanut flavored suet the best as do Woodpeckers. Often my wrens feed on the ground so you might tey putting some Sunflower Seeds and Sunflower Seed Hearts on the ground below your feeders or on a platform feeder. They are very brave, sassy little birds that will oftem approach to within inches of you. Here is a picture of THREE baby Carolina Wrens that were born in my yard on one of their first trips to my suet feeders this Summer.

THE THREE MUSKE-WRENS!
 -

-
 -
by PlantFaerie on February 18, 2006 12:46 PM
OMG!!! They are so cute! *runs for the kitchen to find peanut butter since the birds aren't eating the suet she has*

-

Colonel Jack O'Neill "I ask you, what could possibly be in my eye that could explain all this? "

-

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: