The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Bird pictures.....

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Bird pictures.....| Next thread: Bird pictures 2 »
Back to Thread index
Pages: 3 2 1
by loz on July 26, 2005 09:20 PM
I have a few pics of hummers that I took last night down at my feeders....You would've laughed at me crawling across the grass getting closer and closer to them...I almost got hit in the face by them once....Anyway, I thought it would be nice to have a place where we could just look at bird pictures...so here's my hummers! We had 5 flying around last night! Usually we just have 2...

Having a drink!
 -

Taking a break on the clothesline!
 -
by afgreyparrot on July 26, 2005 11:10 PM
I took this a few minutes ago while I was outside cleaning the feeders.
While I was refilling them, I put the hose in the rhododendron on the "mist" setting so the hummers would play in it instead of landing on me. They get a little ticked off when I take the feeders down to refill them, and can't wait for me to get them back up so they can start fighting again. [Roll Eyes]
...strange little birds!

This one was waiting on the feeder hanger, preening after it's shower...

-

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by loz on July 27, 2005 02:06 AM
Cindy, that's a great picture.....I wish I had better optical zoom...my next camera will be at least 10x optical....I just love watching them, we sit outside every night to watch them feed.....
by afgreyparrot on July 29, 2005 12:04 AM
Here's a few pics of my hummingbird invasion...
I've lowered the file size down so they will load easy....so the picture quality won't be as good. [Roll Eyes]

Here's the main trouble-maker...
 -
He has been guarding that feeder for almost a week. When I took it down yesterday to clean and refill it, he got MAD! He tried to follow me into the house, so I cleaned it out in the yard, with him trying to land on it the whole time. It was so funny! When I got it filled and was heading back to the hanger, he landed on it and would NOT get off! I had to hang it with him sitting on it.

Here he is taunting my cat through the window...
 -

Poor kitty sits four inches away from the feeder with GLASS between them! Sometimes she loses control and jumps up on the glass, like she forgets it's there!
 -

-

Cindy

-
 -
 -
by Meg on July 29, 2005 01:05 AM
I love that last photo with the 2 birds at the feeder. They are soooo cute!

-
 -

I reject your reality, and substitue my own!
My favorite digital camera photos that I took.
My family, garden, and a bunch of misc. photos!
by loz on July 29, 2005 01:47 AM
Love the pics Cindy.....your poor cat is being tormented--LOL!!!! Hummingbirds are so tiny that you just can't believe it sometimes....We have a male bully at ours too--he chases every single other hummer off like he owns the feeder...
by Triss on July 29, 2005 02:16 AM
Love all of the bird pics. It rally makes me want to put up a feeder. I know we have hummers here but nothing I am growing is attracting them this year.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by Triss on July 29, 2005 04:36 AM
I made a feeder in hopes of attracting hummers. It is nothing fancy but here are the pics of it. Hopefully bird pics will follow.

-

-

-
 -
by loz on July 29, 2005 05:06 AM
Great job Triss--inventive...I wouldn't have been able to think up a homemade feeder....So where exactly does the liquid come out of???? Can't wait to see if you get some hummers...keeping my fingers crossed!
by afgreyparrot on July 29, 2005 05:11 AM
The "red" was a good idea to attract them.
I always put out red ribbons in the spring to get their attention to the feeders...
(...like I need more hummingbirds!) [Roll Eyes]

I hadn't taken the red ribbons off the feeder pole and the other day there were so many out here, some of them were trying to get a drink out of the ribbons! So, I went out and cut the ribbons off.

I hope you get some soon!

Cindy

-
 -
 -
by Triss on July 29, 2005 05:19 AM
There are holes on either side of each container. They are the size of a skewer and about an inch from the bottoms. I am hoping that will be big enough. If not, I will make them bigger, that or go buy one. The kids thought this was fun so it was a great project for us all.

-
 -
by BFVISION on July 29, 2005 07:35 PM
Great pics, kudos to everyone [thumb] . I still need to figure out how to post pics in an album of my own. Any help would be appreciated. Please send a PM if you can help [gabby] .

My real question is I bought an additional feeder because of the appetite and amount of hummers around, but they don't use it [perplexed] .
Its a little different cup, but is about 15 feet away and they fly right past it and drain the old one [nutz] .
Any ideas why?

BFVISION

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2122269418&mode=guest
by Thornius on July 29, 2005 10:57 PM
I got my FIRST Ruby-throated Hummingbird of the year, yesterday.

BF, open an account on the web for storing photos like, Photobucket.com. That is the site I use. Upload pictures from your computer to your site. Then click on the link that begins with "[img" to highlight it. Right-click on the highlighted bar and click on "Copy". Then write your e-mail and where you want the picture to appear, right-clickand choose "Paste". That's all there is.

Here is My Ruby-throat.
 -

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.
by Bestofour on July 30, 2005 08:22 AM
cool picture thornius

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by gardenmom32210 on July 30, 2005 08:41 PM
 -

I love hummers! They are the coolest birds around [thumb]

Great pics,ya'll...thanks for sharing!

G-Mom [grin]
by lsnider59 on August 04, 2005 06:25 AM
I am jealous of your photos of the hummers! what lens and kind of camera do you have. Also how do I upload a photo to the message?
by afgreyparrot on August 04, 2005 06:44 AM
I used a Fuji FinePix S5100 with a 10X zoom lense.

One of the members here posted a topic up in "Member Benefits" on how to post photos.

Posting Pics Using Photobucket

Nice to meet you! [wayey]

Cindy

-
 -
 -
by SuzyQ on August 06, 2005 12:01 AM
How nice to see so many people in one place who appreciate our little hummers. [grin] I put up my first ever hummingbird feeder this year and now have about four or five showing up (as far as I can tell.) What a treat! Here's a picture I took the other day. It was in a shady spot, later in the day, so the it came out a little more artsy than detailed. Just thought I'd share.

-

I'm fairly new to posting here and want to say how much I enjoy reading the stories here. What a nice peaceful place this is. [Smile] Hope you don't mind a newcomer popping in from time to time.

~Suzy~
by Triss on August 06, 2005 01:51 AM
Suzy... Love that pic. It is more sureal and that makes it great.

Hope to see you pop in more often!

-
 -
by loz on August 06, 2005 04:53 AM
I really like that pic a lot Suzy...thanks for sharing it with us!!!! I just love hummers....

And you guys, don't forget to post pics of any other birdies that you want to share! Love seeing them all!
by SuzyQ on August 06, 2005 08:18 AM
Thank you for the nice welcome and compliments! I love this Forum and all the threads I've browsed. It seems like such a nice place to visit.

I realize now that I sent the url thumbnail of my Hummer rather than the full picture. lol. Oh well, I'm a newbie. So I thought I'd post once more in regular size. Hope you don't mind.

-

I also have little chickadees all over and managed to get a picture of one of those as well. They are just sooo cute with their little black caps!!

-

This guy shares that little old birdhouse with the chickadees. lol. He waits for leftovers and I top them up for him. We've named him Merle. (I couldn't find the squirrel thread so I snuck him in here [Wink] )

-

Now if I could only snap a shot of one of the beautiful bright yellow American Finches I have around here. I just can't seem to get close enough though. Oh well, maybe someday.

Hope everybody has a great weekend. [wayey]

~Suzy~
by Triss on August 06, 2005 08:32 AM
Suzy,

Awesome pics! Thanks for sharing!

-
 -
by afgreyparrot on August 06, 2005 08:20 PM
 -

[flower]

-

[flower]

-

[flower]

-
 -
 -
by gardenmom32210 on August 06, 2005 10:50 PM
WOW!!!!!!

GREAT PICS!!!!

G-Mom [grin]
by SuzyQ on August 07, 2005 12:11 AM
Cindy, your pictures are Awesome! The ones on the first page too. Your poor cat. lol. Those pix are funny! That little hummer is pretty brazen sitting on the feeder while you're carrying it. This is my first year of feeding and watching them so mine are pretty timid. I can stand near them but if I make a sudden movement, they'll bolt. Do they get more comfortable as time goes by?

~Suzy~
by Triss on August 07, 2005 12:50 AM
Love those Cindy. I am so looking forward to getting some. Someone here told me we are just getting into hummer season. I don't know how true that is, but we shall see.

-
 -
by afgreyparrot on August 07, 2005 12:51 AM
quote:
Do they get more comfortable as time goes by?

Oh, YEAH! [thumb]

They land on me now...and the Head Hummingbird fights off the others that land on me.

I love them! [Love]
 -
Cindy

-
 -
 -
by SuzyQ on August 07, 2005 08:02 AM
It's funny how if you watch them long enough, you can see personality traits. At first I had one female, then two, then three. They were there all the time for awhile, but I guess one of them told a male and now that little bugger sits in the tree and waits for the girls to show up. Then he chases them off. lol. I think they're working together now though. One of the girls lures him away while the other two sneak in. [thumb]

I don't know their breed, but the girls all have green backs and the male does too, but he has a brilliant red throat. It almost looks like he has a bright red satin ribbon there. I do enjoy them and their shananigans.

I also have a lot of sparrows around. I know they're not people's favourite bird but I don't mind them. When I took that picture of the chickadee, I was holding the camera up and staying very still and suddenly a sparrow flew over and just perched on my arm! I guess they're pretty comfortable here too.

Unfortunately for one the next day, he flew into my window and knocked himself silly. I saw him sitting dazed on my deck so I picked him up and sat him on my counter by an open door. I was worried about a cat coming along while he was loopy and also wanted to make sure nothing was broken and he wasn't suffering. He ended up staying for about 1/2 an hour and then when the headache subsided a bit, he flew out. But not until I took a picture. [Wink]

-

~Suzy~
by Thornius on August 07, 2005 10:27 AM
SuzyQ. you are describing a Ruby-throated Hummingbird. I didn't know they got that far west but according to Sibley's bird guide, they do.

-
 -
by loz on August 07, 2005 10:40 AM
Aww Suzy....I'm glad you helped the little sparrow...you know I really don't mind them at all even though some people think they are nuisances.....I like watching them.

Cool pics Cindy. I bought another feeder, so now I have 3 hanging up in the yard too...My neighbor probably thinks I'm nuts, but I love watching them feeding at all of them and fighting over them.....
by Triss on August 07, 2005 10:46 AM
Well I just did some research and it looks like I got my feeder out right when I was supposed to for fall migration of hummers in my area. Here is what I found, we are considered the panhandle.

Four species of hummingbirds are found in Nebraska, one in the east and three in the west. Ruby-throated hummingbirds migrate through eastern Nebraska in spring and fall, and some nest here, mostly along the Missouri river valley. Typically, ruby-throat migration in Nebraska peaks about May 5-17 and September 2-18, but northward migration may occur from April to June and southward flights from August to early October. Broad-tailed and rufous hummingbirds are seen in the Nebraska panhandle during fall migration from late July to early September with most sightings in early to mid-August. Calliope hummingbirds are seen rarely in the panhandle area. These four hummingbird species spend winter in Mexico and Central America

-
 -
by SuzyQ on August 08, 2005 01:39 AM
Thanks Thornius! Ruby Throated Hummingbird. Who'd o' thunk it? lol

Triss, from what you said regarding migration, this must be one of the places they migrate to. I don't know why they'd want to come this far north, but sure am glad they do! I'll let you know when they leave so you can put your porch light on for them. [Wink]

I finally got some really clear pictures this morning! [clappy] YAY! This is the male showing off his fancy red sash. It shows the brightest when you see them head on.

-

But when they turn slightly, it seems to fade.

-

The downside of these photos is it shows how badly in need of paint my windows are! lol

~Suzy~
by Meg on August 08, 2005 02:29 AM
Awesome photos ya'll! I love all the pics.. even that squirrel was soooo cute!

Meg

-
 -

I reject your reality, and substitue my own!
My favorite digital camera photos that I took.
My family, garden, and a bunch of misc. photos!
by SuzyQ on August 20, 2005 12:20 AM
I wonder if anybody knows what kind of bird this fella is. It's definitely some kind Woodpecker or Sapsucker, but I haven't been able to find a picture on the net with the real name. I thought at first it was one of my little chickadees because the colouring is similar, but then realized he was larger (and not quite as cute. lol). The rat-a-tat-tat on this dead treetrunk also gave him away.
 -
Unfortunately I think these little buggers are responsible for the death of five of my birch trees over the last seven years, so I'm not feeling really close to them right now.
by Thornius on August 20, 2005 12:41 AM
SuzyQ,
You have a White-Breasted Nuthatch there! They are fairly common in dense, old-growth forest and aften occur in pairs. Thay have a distinctive, "Yank! Yank!" call. Check out the pictures of them on Google Image Search, or their picture, information, and an audio recording of their call, on eNature.com. [thumb]

-
 -
by Thornius on August 20, 2005 12:46 AM
And by the way, SuzyQ, they are NOT responsible for the death of your trees. Some other factor is responsible. They are NOT Woodpeckers or Sapsuckers , but like them are VERY beneficial for keeping your trees FREE of pests. A very nice and adorable bird to have around your house.

-
 -
by Thornius on August 20, 2005 01:03 AM
P.S. That's a male White-breasted Nuthatch. They have a black patch that runs from the back of their neck over their head to the start of the bill. The females have a gray cap on top of their head. [teacher]

-
 -
by SuzyQ on August 20, 2005 01:09 AM
OH Thanks, Thornius! [kissies] Okay, I like them now. lol. I smiled when I read the description where it said they're "usually seen creeping on tree trunks, head downward." Because that's how my picture was taken but I rotated it. lol. And it said "they often join mixed flocks of chickadees, woodpeckers..." Just before I snapped that one, a chickadee came over and the Nuthatch chased him off. AND not only that! There WERE two of them. You do know your stuff, Thorny! Thanks again.

You also solved another mystery for us. [thumb] The sound they make. I have about an acre of bush and I hear that sound all the time in there, especially in the morning. I've always wondered who was making it.

There is something pecking at my trees though. They leave a real organized pattern in the trunks and I think the trees bleed out. They also wake me up pecking on my house outside the bedroom window every now and then too. It's cedar siding. Sounds like a noisy little construction crew. lol

Maybe I'll get a picture of one of those some day. I'm still trying to get close enough to my bright yellow American Finches before they leave but haven't had any success. Not yet anyway. They are really beautiful.
by Thornius on August 20, 2005 11:17 AM
The bird that leaves the organized pattern in yout trees is a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker. It drills a series of evenly spaced holes completely around a tree trunk, leaving parallel rings of holes in the trunks. It appears to do no damage to the tree. after a few days it returns to drink the sap and eat the insects that collect in the holes. Here in the Southeast U.S. we only get this bird in the Winter. Here is a picture of the bird AND the holes it makes in two different trees in my front yard. I took these pictures about a year ago.

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
 -

The Yellow-bellied Sapsucker strikes again
 -

-
 -
by SuzyQ on August 21, 2005 12:26 AM
I found it! It's a Ladder-Backed Woodpecker. Still couldn't get close enough with my camera, but I found one online and I know this is it.

-

It's been raining here for almost two weeks and has finally stopped, so there must be quite a smorgasbord out there for all my feathered friends. While sipping my coffee this morning on the deck, these Woodpeckers were all over my backyard trees, along with the Nuthatches and Chickadees. And big old Red Breasted Robins scooping up the worms on the ground.

What a cool world this is. I wish I'd appreciated them all sooner. Unfortunately for now, I think my little hummers have skipped town. Haven't seen them for a few days. Oh well, something to look forward to next year.

I've never considered their migration habits before, so now I realize I'm lucky so many come here to nest.

Here's the very first bird picture I ever took. (Early this summer.) I thought they were Barn Swallows but when I looked them up, I see they're actually Cliff Swallows. They come every year and build their little mud condos under the eaves of my house just above my deck. It's a bit dark, but to get close I was hanging out an upstairs window shooting up into the air. lol. These were the first guys to tweak my interest.

-

Haven't seen them around for awhile either lately. Now I'm already looking forward to next summer. [grin]

~Suzy~
by Triss on August 21, 2005 12:40 AM
Suzy,

Have not seen many woodpeckers this year. I think they come later for us.

Hoping your hummers come my way to say hello. I still have just seen the one.

We have tons of barn swallows. They chase the dragonflies all over the place. Really cool to watch.

-
 -
by Thornius on August 21, 2005 12:55 AM
You are right, that is a Cliff Swallow, Good Job! Your Woodpecker may be a Downy Woodpecker, or a Hairy Woodpecker. They are identical in appearance, except, the Hairy Woodpecker is about 50% larger than the Downy Woodpecker and the bill on the Hairy Woodpecker is almost the length of the head, whereas the bill on the Downy Woodpecker is only about 1/3 to 1/2 the length of the head. Otherwise they are IDENTICAL in both appearance and behavior. They do NOT interbreed.

-
 -
by Thornius on August 21, 2005 01:10 AM
Suzy Q if you are really interested in birds, like I have been for 20 years, may I suggest you get a good set of binoculars. preferrably something with a 7 or 8 power of magnification. Most birders really on a 7X35 pair of binoculars. Buy the best you can afford. Prices run from $20 - $2000 U.S. I have several pairs that I use in the $20 to $100 price range. I have tried some $2000 pairs in the fieldand if I had the money I would buy a pair in an instant!!! Also get a good field guide. The best currently available is The Sibley Field Guide to Birds of North America.

-
 -
by SuzyQ on August 21, 2005 01:12 AM
Oh Geez! Looks like more homework for me. lol. Now I'll really have to try to get a shot of one and find out if it's Hairy, Downy or Ladder-Backed. [perplexed] Good, clean fun though, isn't it.

Hope you get a bunch of Hummers Triss. Your kids will just love them!
by SuzyQ on August 21, 2005 01:22 AM
Looks like we were posting at the same time, Thornius. That's good advice! We also have deer and moose wandering around here and binoculars would be great to have. (Something else for my letter to Santa.)

I also see many hawks around here, but never close up. I'm amazed at how the other birds protect their young ones though. We have these black birds (picture to follow next summer) and they zip around the hawks, poking at their backs and just irritating them in general, I suppose to keep them away from their nests. Well that's what I think they're doing anyway.

I'll probably end up with permanent rings around my eyes and a stiff neck if I get some binoculars. lol
by Thornius on August 21, 2005 02:48 AM
here are some bird forums I am a member of:

http://forums.about.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?nav=start&webtag=ab-birding

http://www.birdersworld.com/brd/community/forum/

The first forum is GREAT, much like this forum. the second one is slightly more academic but he people there are very kind and REALLY like to help beginners! They have GREAT bird photographers on the second site.

-
 -
by tkhooper on August 21, 2005 09:24 AM
Thanks for the links Thorny.
by SuzyQ on August 23, 2005 01:51 AM
I think you're right, Thorny. I think it's a 'Downy Woodpecker' I have. They were back this morning and I tried to memorize as much detail as I could but they didn't stay long when I opened the door. I noticed the bill was shorter and the bird was a bit larger than the Nuthatches. Now that I've seen this picture, I don't think it's a ladder-back anymore. I just didn't realize there were a bunch of similarly marked woodpeckers.

This morning I had these big old cranky Blue Jays hanging around too. They're pretty constant here, but what a racket they make!! lol. They come to steal the peanuts I leave for Merle the Squirrel. The other birds usually take off when the Blue Jays show up too. I guess they're just not quite in with the 'in-crowd' around here.

And while I'm on birds, I think a neighbour nearby got a Rooster! Luckily they're not right next door. lol
by Thornius on August 23, 2005 02:36 AM
I LOVE Roosters! And by-the-by the proper name for chickens is, "Southeast Asian Jungle Fowl". NO FOOLIN'! Chickens were first domesticated in Southeast Asia and spread through trade to the rest of the world. As a matter of fact domesticated chickens reached South America SOMEHOW long before Columbus or the Vikings!

-
 -
by mrsmessy on August 25, 2005 12:08 AM
Earlier this month afgreyparrot posted 3 pictures of hummingbirds. The one in the middle looks like one that I have seen on my Butterfly bush this week. The one here has an upside down yellow triangle on it's throat. There is another one that seems to be dark green all over with no markings. My bird book has pages of hummers but I don't see them in it. It says Ruby throats are the only common one in my area but these don't have ruby throats. Any ideas?

-
Bev

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Bird pictures.....| Next thread: Bird pictures 2 »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: