The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Tire potatoes

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Tire method for potatoes| Next thread: tired soil in potted plants »
Back to Thread index
by lovesadvise on October 12, 2006 09:26 AM
I haven't ever tried it myself (lack of yard), but my Granny used to stack worn out tires and fill them with hay to grow her potatoes in. The hay made "digging" up the potatoes very easy (especially with clay soil) and it's a good way to get extra mileage out of tires.

Isn't it interesting that the same people who laugh at science
fiction listen to weather forecasts and economists? -- Kelvin
Throop, III
by Tonya on October 13, 2006 09:37 PM
I have heard of this. Only instead of hay, they added more dirt with each tire. I am thinking of trying it next year! [thumb]

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by comfrey on October 14, 2006 03:05 AM
I did try this one year, and it is great way to grow potatoes if you have limited space, plus harvest is very easy, you just knock the tires over and pick up the potatoes. There have been many discussions about this before, doing a forum search brought up these Forum results If you are interested in reading more about this.

-
 -
by netty on October 14, 2006 04:27 AM
I fill tires with compost to grow my pumpkins in. Works great for pumpkins...I never thought to try potaotes that way!

-
 -
by amy7467 on October 15, 2006 01:44 AM
Thanks Comfrey! So helpful that you can point us new people in the right direction! I am making lots of notes about all the stuff I want to try next year and this is definitely on the list!
Amy
by comfrey on October 15, 2006 11:19 AM
You are welcome Amy!!!! [kissies] Keeping notes is great way of learning and remebering things, [thumb] I have been gardening for many years, and I still write new things down I find or want to try/remember. Be sure to post your results on using the tires when you do this, that is how we learn is from our own experiences and others. It is a fun way of growing things, esp if you have a bunch of old tires laying around, or most people will gladly give them to you to get rid of them.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Tire method for potatoes| Next thread: tired soil in potted plants »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: