The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Got "Hot Chocolate" calla lilies for $1... now what?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: gophers/moles| Next thread: Got 2 miniature roses today. »
Back to Thread index
by roflol on September 11, 2006 08:16 AM
About half of the leaves were slimy and snotty (found 1 snail in one of the pots, maybe he helped make them that way), but still plenty of good ones left and new growth still coming in. [flower]

I've never dealt with calla liles before. Can somebody direct me to what I can do with these things in zone 5a/b - particularly regarding the overwintering wheres and whens? [dunno]

I bought three big pots of them, must be at least 3 separate plants in each pot... originally $16.98, I almost did a Scottish jig when I found them among the deader "distressed" stuff on the rack.
[clappy]
by roflol on September 11, 2006 08:54 AM
Meant to say, found this at Lowe's = time to start looking at their distressed stuff again. I found some gaura and clematis for $1/pot there as well but was able to control myself; however, was not able to pass up the chocolate.... mmmmm.
by TulsaRose on September 11, 2006 08:41 PM
What a great bargain!!! I never find anything like that. [Eek!]

I doubt you'll be able to plant them out overwinter in your zone but they make excellent houseplants from what I've heard. They like rich, moist, but well-drained soil. Indoors they would require a very bright, sunny window. That's about the extent of my ideas but I'm sure others will come by and give you more tips. [Wink]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by SpringFever on September 14, 2006 07:29 PM
You can over winter the bulbs in a box in a cool spot..I put mine in the basement near a window..They don't freeze but get just enough of the cool so they grow again in the spring!
Great Deal and good luck!!

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by roflol on September 15, 2006 11:20 AM
Rita, is your method out of dirt or in? Do I wait for the leaves to die back on their own and find their cool nap spot then, or put them there now? The mature leaves are pretty much all lying on their backs with only the new growth leaves standing up. Not sure what this indicates - sister in law says plant knows it's fall and it's going dormant. I had been thinking it was just recuperating from whatever had made half the leaves snotty when I found them.

This is our grand experiment:

I gave one pot to my sister in law who swears up and down that they are roots, not bulbs (I haven't looked) and she will plant them on the south side of her house and mulch and they will come back in spring... I wished her (and the plant) luck.

My mom will get the second pot (she planted her last lily on SIL's advice and it died), and plans to keep this indoors this year in one form or another.

I'm keeping the third pot that looks like it has at least 2 plants in it so might split it and keep one as a houseplant and let one go dormant as above once I get the details down pat.... maybe between the three of us we'll get something to come back next year!

So much to learn, so little time.....

[Wink]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: gophers/moles| Next thread: Got 2 miniature roses today. »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: