The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Where to Buy...

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by LandOfOz on August 12, 2006 02:59 PM
I am looking for bulbs for a flower garden that will be near our driveway. Since our driveway is very narrow I thought bulbs would work best because if they are occasionally run over they will be back next year (hopefully). Can anyone recommend some good sites for purchasing bulbs? I'd really like to keep them inexpensive but good quality, if that is possible.

Thanks,
Sarah

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by ND farm girl on August 12, 2006 03:02 PM
I've ordered from Burpee, Brecks, Wayside Gardens, Springvalley Nursery, and we had a terribly dry summer and I emailed them and they have a guarantee and are sending all the ones (there were a lot!) that didn't grow for me, again this fall to try again!

PattyM
by LandOfOz on August 13, 2006 06:12 AM
Well, I was looking at Brecks and I think I'm going to get altogether 80 bulbs (daylily, aster, hyacinth, crocus, and allium) for around $35 (including shipping). I have never bought bulbs before and money is always tight. Is that too much to pay for these kinds of bulbs?

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by kennyso on August 13, 2006 09:29 AM
I know what you mean when you say money is tight, prices have been going up, especially gas; yet our salaries seem ot be going nowhere. I usually offer to help neighbours divide their perennials and the odd ask here or there. Usually, when I divide perennials, I ask if I can take a small division (one or two daylily 'bulbs') and the person will, in most cases, be more than happy to give them to you. I find that most often, people need help with their daylilies and peonies most, because they start to bloom less and the person gets worried. When I see an over crowded clump or whatever, I explain to them why they should divide it, chances are they already know that, but are just too lazy to get their hands dirty.

I've never bought bulbs before (I always buy those $2 perennial transplants from WalMart) so can't really tell you if it's worth it, but I've seen like 20 bulbs of the same thing for $11.98. I guess the only thing I would spend $35 is on 80 saffron crocus bulbs (fat chance of finding such a deal)! (BTW, I think you could have enough saffron to sell if ou wait ten years or so for them to multiply, LOL)

-
 -

Blessed are the meek, for they shall possess the earth
My Website My Blog
by patches1414 on August 13, 2006 05:54 PM
Sarah, personally, I usually avoid buying plants and bulbs that have to be shipped. I hate paying the cost of handling and shipping when I can get a lot of the same things locally. [Frown] Then if there's a problem, you have to send them back and sometimes it can be a hassle. [Frown] I've had good luck getting reasonable bulbs and plants at Wal-Mart, Lowes, and Home Depot and no problem returning them if they don't make it, but that has rarely happened. Of course, I try to buy them when they first get them in! [Wink] I guess it really depends on what you want, because I have bought from the catalogs when I can't get the plants I want locally.

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by slredmond on August 15, 2006 04:59 AM
Try Wal-Mart or Lowes. You may have to wait a few weeks before they put their bulbs out.

Sandy R.
by debnoel on August 15, 2006 07:24 AM
I bought over 100 bulbs/rizomes from Wal-Mart last fall and got a wonderful result in the spring. The iris were ok, but I think the fault was in the planting depth. The daffodils, crocus and tulips were lovely. I also have been visiting Lowes on a daily basis now that most people are no longer planting perennials. I am patient and am willing to wait for blooms next year if I can get nice plants for a good price.
by LandOfOz on August 15, 2006 07:58 AM
If there is one thing that I don't need it's irises, lol. In the past 2 days I've probably given away over 100 plants!! Thanks for all the tips, I guess I'll just try to be patient (not my strong suit) and wait for lowe's and walmart to get some bulbs in.

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by comfrey on August 15, 2006 08:09 AM
Wal Mart is a good place for bulbs as long as you get them when they first put them out...I bought 200 tulip bulbs from them and all made it without any problems. I bought the mixed bags and was pleased with them.

-
 -
by patches1414 on August 15, 2006 10:44 AM
quote:
I guess I'll just try to be patient (not my strong suit) and wait for lowe's and walmart to get some bulbs in.

Hey Sarah, you're in the same general area that I am, [Wink] so you probably won't have to wait that long before they start showing up in the stores! [thumb]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by LandOfOz on August 15, 2006 03:11 PM
Walmart already has daffodil, tulip, and iris bulbs but not what I'm looking for. I'm hoping you're right, patches, and I won't have to wait much longer!!

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by patches1414 on August 15, 2006 05:38 PM
What exactly are you looking for Sarah? [dunno] If you're looking for some of the more unique bulbs like the pink & white Daffodils, you won't find them there, I know I've checked! [Frown] Do you have a Lowe's or Home Depot near you? They carry a pretty good variety too! [thumb]

-
 -
by LandOfOz on August 17, 2006 04:14 AM
I'm not looking for anything real special. Just the bulbs I listed on my first posting. Some nice basic snow crocus, the pastel colored hyacinth, allium (which I could probably live without), and some dwarf asters. I was lucky enough to trade some iris bulbs for some daylily seeds and tiger lily bulbettes. Woohoo!

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by LandOfOz on August 17, 2006 04:17 AM
Oh, and yes, we just got a Lowe's last year, and a home depot the year before. All conveniently located next to Walmart! Also, I've got (what I consider) to be a really great nursery nearby who I know will be carrying things like lilies, crocus, and other bulbous things in Sept/Oct.

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by patches1414 on August 17, 2006 08:18 AM
Sarah, I think you'll be able to find plenty of what you want at those three places. Since you have a great nursery nearby I would also suggest calling them and asking if they have or will have certain plants or bulbs you're looking for and a lot of times you'll find they will order them. I called once and stopped in several times at a nursery here inquired about Persian Shield and they didn't have it, but several weeks later I found they finally had some. I think if they feel people are looking for something specific they try to get it in.

-
 -
by LandOfOz on August 17, 2006 08:51 AM
Thanks for the tip patches--I know that a lot of the local businesses will order something if they think a lot of people are interested in it. I've already called the nursery once about the bulbs I'm wanting and they said that they usually carry, most of them. So, hopefully, they will carry them soon.

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by patches1414 on August 17, 2006 09:54 AM
Sarah, then I don't see a problem because they always try to get them in as early as possible so people can get them planted. I'm not sure yet what I going to get in bulbs or even if I'm going to get any bulbs this year. Of course, if I don't then I'll be mad at myself in the spring!

-
 -
by porter57 on August 17, 2006 02:02 PM
i havent been too happy with much of what ive ordered online. im sticking with local bought stuff from now on. seems like the online places always ship too late for planting in my area.
i think they have thier timetables messed up
by LandOfOz on August 17, 2006 04:15 PM
I was doing some reading and a lot of books highly urge bulbs to be planted in Sept; and some of the online stores don't ship until October. So I have to agree with you porter. Maybe online stores are just going for a one-size fits all approach?

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by patches1414 on August 17, 2006 05:19 PM
quote:
i havent been too happy with much of what ive ordered online. im sticking with local bought stuff from now on.
Porter, that's kind of what I was telling Sarah about buying online. If you're not pleased with the quality of what you receive (which a lot of times leaves a lot to be desired) you have the hassle of trying to return it and if it's bulbs then it's almost too late to buy others and plant them.

-
 -
by daffodil1942 on August 23, 2006 02:22 PM
I wish you lived near me. I couldn't find anyone who wanted daffodil bulbs and ended up throwing them out this past spring. Mine were getting too thick and it was way past time to thin them out. I thinned them out 4 years ago and now my friends and family have my problem so they don't want any more. Try sending for free catalogs. I got 2 or 3 offers of $25.00 off on my order 2 years ago and was able to get quite a bit for little money.
by LandOfOz on August 23, 2006 02:56 PM
I wish I lived near you too!! I actually have a ton of daffodils buried out in the yard from a previous owner and I'm waiting for the weather to cool so I can go do some random digging and see if I can find them. I just love daffodils. I asked for a few catalogs off the internet, so we'll see what pans out with that.

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by roflol on September 05, 2006 05:56 AM
On the subject of bulbs, I tried crocus this past year but nothing came up. Quite likely I planted too late, but I also suspect they ended up chipmunk or squirrel chow as there were little "digs" all over the place where I had planted the bulbs.

Do the critters eat these bulbs, and if so is there anything I can do to discourage this? They weren't expensive, but I don't like to waste the effort and I had really been looking forward to seeing the crocus! LOL.
by joclyn on September 05, 2006 07:38 AM
squirrels just LOVE crocus...i planted over 40 the first fall i was in the house...they got every last one.

what you can do to deter them is plant the bulbs and then put down some kind of chicken wire or grating - just place it so that that the holes are above the bulbs (so they can grow through them). you can cover the wire/grating with soil and or mulch to cover it up.

i'd done that with my tulips (another fav of the squirrels) and i didn't lose one bulb.
by roflol on September 05, 2006 11:20 PM
Thanks, Jocyln. I'll give it a try.

:-)
by roflol on September 05, 2006 11:23 PM
Oh, and thanks for your idea too, *Joclyn* (please forgive me, I typed for 36 hours over the past four days, and I'm a bit dyslexic this morning).

;-)
by patches1414 on September 06, 2006 11:36 AM
I've done the chicken wire thing too and it does work wonders! [thumb] I don't think I lost a single bulb! [Wink] The only problem I ran into was not being able to get the chicken wire up with the spring flowering bulbs blooming, so I couldn't put in any new spring plants with the chicken wire there. [Eek!] I was wondering if anyone else has run into this problem? [dunno] If so, what did you do about it? [dunno]

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: