The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Compost bins are expensive!!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by daylily77 on August 01, 2006 07:46 PM
Does anyone know of something cheaper I can buy to make compost in? I've been researching compost and all the sites say I'd need a compost bin.. well those things are expensive! Has anyone here had success making compost without one of those costly bins? What can I use? I really want to make my own compost to save the enviornment and make my garden healthier! Why does it have to be so expensive? Help! [tears]
by Tonya on August 01, 2006 11:51 PM
You can build your own or even put it on the ground in a pile...just make sure it is 3x3x3 in order to get enough heat to make it work. I just have mine on the ground. I have the lumber and fence wire, but am waiting for DH to actually put mine together... Good luck to you! [thumb]

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by daylily77 on August 02, 2006 04:36 PM
Thanks for the advice, Tonya. Unfortunately I'm not good at building things and I don't have a husband who could build it for me. Also I can't keep a pile in my backyard because I live in Townhouses and they won't allow that. Could I just use any 3x3x3 bin-type thing?
by SpringFever on August 02, 2006 10:39 PM
Daylily.... you can use a trash barrel as well.. It has a nice clean appearance..

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by johnCT on August 03, 2006 03:46 AM
You definitely DO NOT need a bin. It can be done right on the ground without any bin at all. I used old pallets that I got for free to make mine.

-

John - Zone 6
by daylily77 on August 03, 2006 07:59 PM
"Daylily.... you can use a trash barrel as well.. It has a nice clean appearance.."

Thanks for letting me know that, SpringFever! I think I could get away with putting that back there. I just have to turn it upside down every so often, correct? Could anyone tell me how often I'd have to do that? Thanks so much!!
by SpringFever on August 04, 2006 02:33 AM
You can do it as little as every 2 weeks or as much as everyday.. depends on how fast you want your compost... I use a garden claw to turn mine.. Seems to work out well for me!

-
 -
by daylily77 on August 04, 2006 03:18 AM
What a great idea! Thank you so much for sharing that with me!
by SpringFever on August 05, 2006 01:17 AM
Good luck Daylily [thumb]

-
 -
by porter57 on August 17, 2006 01:59 PM
yup i make mine right on the ground
got a nice litte hidden corner in the yard and just make a big pile.
right now im stockpiling grass clippings so i have em when the leaves start falling
by swin on August 17, 2006 02:15 PM
You can also use black 30 gal trash bags to compost in . I t is suposed to work real fast due to the heat build up in the trash bag.
swin
by eclo on August 18, 2006 05:58 AM
I use two old black 55 gallon plastic barrels... I just stick a pitch fork in it about every other week and kinda stir it up. Has worked well for me! I use two of them so that I dont have to fill either one of them up full... makes it easier to turn!

See Ya in the Garden!
by Longy on August 19, 2006 12:10 AM
I use huge heavy duty cardboard boxes with holes cut in the side of them. The type that melons and cabbages etc are transported in, in bulk. As the boxes break down you can add them to the compost.

-
The secret is the soil.
by Thornius on August 19, 2006 03:21 AM
That's the reason I use a compost, "Bunny". Any vegetable scraps I have go into his cage and a little while later the BESt natural fertilizer is returned to me and goes on my plants and flower beds.

Thorn and Two Bean Bags
 -

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: