The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

wood ashes

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: wood ash| Next thread: Wood Rose Ipomea tuberose »
Back to Thread index
by Mrs.Spud on June 07, 2006 07:18 AM
what can these be used for?

Mrs.Spud: Idaho Mom
by chenno on June 07, 2006 09:51 AM
I would like to know too..good question [Wink]

-
 -
Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting that speaks.
Plutarch
by LandOfOz on June 07, 2006 10:57 AM
I've read that wood ashes are very good a repelling a variety of garden pests when sprinkled on the ground. Also, these are a very good source of potash. However, all the good stuff in ashes is easily washed away; so if adding to a compost pile it is neccessary to add many layers. If you're wondering what potash is, it's potassium which is needed for photosynthesis.

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by chenno on June 08, 2006 03:04 AM
Thanks landofoz

For the info:-)

-
 -
Plutarch
by woodchuck on June 08, 2006 05:51 PM
My Pa was telling me about how great using wood ashes were on ant hills in the lawn, I'll be trying it myself and will post the results.
by chenno on June 09, 2006 01:07 AM
Woodchuck

Please do post your results, interesting..
Would like to know how it works.

Thanks
Angie

-
 -
Plutarch
by comfrey on June 09, 2006 01:08 PM
A few wood ashes sprinkled around peonies are suppose to be helpful for them also. I always save some ashes in the shed during winter to melt the ice/snow around the driveway and on the gravel road in front of our house so people can slow down without sliding around. I have also read that they are good used to mix in the soil where you plan to grow your potatoes but have not tried that yet. Also I place a tub of ashes in the chicken pen which the chickens will dust them selves with to keep mites at bay.

-
 -
by badplanter on July 04, 2006 05:48 PM
what ever you use the ashes for, be sure not to get any on your clothes!! It's impossibly hard to get off. Just keep that in mind when dealing with ahses!

-
 -
 -  - "I don't want no more of army life, gee mom, I wanna go, but they won't let me go, gee mom, I wanna go home!" My PB!
by sue099 on July 05, 2006 04:26 AM
I have used wood ashes as a soil amendment for veg beds where I planted onions, sugar snap peas and green beans.

Nature is the art of God ~ Thomas Browne,1635
by jbaby7162000 on August 20, 2006 02:49 AM
I HAVE A SPOT ON THE SIDE OF MY YARD I WANT TO USE AS A FLOWER BED ARE HERB BED,ITS WHERE I USED TO BURN TRASH,COULD I PLANT ANYTHING THERE,AREWOULD THE POTASH EAT MY FLOWERS UP

joanne
by comfrey on August 20, 2006 06:45 AM
Joanne...If you burned all your household trash there, I would say there would toxic things in the soil...Someone else may be able to advise you better on this??? You might be able to grow the flowers there by adding to the soil..But I would not grow herbs there.

-
 -
by weezie13 on August 21, 2006 02:05 PM
#1. Yes, wood ashes are good...
Just remember a weee~bit of ashes' goes along way... *not the ole adage, that a little bit is good, so more is better.. nope.. has a negative effect, if you're attempting to use right away*

#2. ONLY USE WOOD ASHES', neverrrrrrrrrrr COAL,
*coal is TOXIC for plants*......
and only use wood products, no Plastic's or such.. those are also toxic.

#3. If you can, use them the season BEFORE you're intending to use the garden, ie; put on in the fall time, just after clean up...
Then it has time to render in, be useful for helping the soils' nutrients and breaking down the soil..

Also, ashes are great on hill top driveways, in the wintertime.... gives a little bit of grip~age to the tires going up or down the hill and is an okay thing to use as far as an organic product that dissipates thru winter and it's water.

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by jbaby7162000 on August 21, 2006 02:19 PM
thanks u guys but it was limbs and pine cones i burnt in that spot.

joanne
by comfrey on August 21, 2006 04:13 PM
Limbs and pinecones...That would probable be alright then.

-
 -
by weezie13 on August 21, 2006 05:05 PM
Yep, absolutely....
Those are good ones...

I would rototill them in real quick like,
and then they would be in corporated into
the soil... all thru the soil instead of just
at the top levels... [thumb]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: wood ash| Next thread: Wood Rose Ipomea tuberose »
Back to Thread index