The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Making cold frames???

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: making a sifter...| Next thread: Making Cut Flowers Last Longer »
Back to Thread index
by pagarden on May 23, 2006 02:43 AM
i have 2 old wondows that i want to make into cold frames before fall. any ideas? do i put wood around the sides? sort of make a box with no top or bottom and then rig the window as the top? it should be angled right? any pictures or plans or ideas would be great!
by kyrsyan on May 23, 2006 04:36 AM
In a moment of desperation this spring I used 2 liter bottles, filled with water, to create the sides for a cold frame. It worked wonderfully! The water in the bottles warmed during the day, at which time I took the cover off, and then radiated that heat to the plants at night, which were then covered. The plants loved it!

Kim
by pagarden on May 23, 2006 07:03 AM
that's an idea too..... hmmm..... oh i've heard f using the 2 liter bottles (or 3 if you can find them) and cut off the bottom and use those as sort of a dome type cover. will have to try that too, but i wanted a bigger one for plants that are well established in the fall (green onions, spinach and such..). could use the liter bottle in spring when plants are smaller though.....

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: making a sifter...| Next thread: Making Cut Flowers Last Longer »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: