The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Watch for those "Damaged Goods"

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: wasps in my pump!!!| Next thread: water........ »
Back to Thread index
by tcmers on May 11, 2006 02:54 PM
Something to watch for: My husband and I found a great deal at Lowes. They had three skids of damaged bags in the outside area. Each skid was $5. We bought the one that was all sand and I have more than I needed (too bad I didn't get it before I spent $3 plus a bag on the previous project). We bought the skid of mixed rocks of which I was able to finish off all of the front and side gardens and I still have one large bin of mixed bags as well as a 55 gallon barrel full of red lava rock with two bags laying on top. We unloaded the skids to the back of our pick up and literally filled it up with rocks & sand for $10. I planned on going back for the skid of dirt and potting soil but never made it. I bet there were 20 plus bags of dirt and potting soil on the other skid for $5. The bags were torn, or had holes in them, but really.... How much damage can you do to rocks & dirt?
by weezie13 on May 12, 2006 03:15 AM
We go to Wally~World and get the 30% to 40% off
bags of assorted potting soils....
If the bag is ripped, they put it off on the side and sell them at the reduced price...

*the one small bad side of the ripped bags is you sometimes don't get all the original dirt, cause some fell out of the ripped holes'...
Sometimes you gotta watch the bag, if it's seems like there is alot gone off the top, and they are taped shut... you're still charged the same price no matter how much soil has spilled out..*

**I wish we had a Lowes, never been to one**

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by patches1414 on May 12, 2006 07:17 PM
quote:
We go to Wally~World and get the 30% to 40% off bags of assorted potting soils....

Weezie, our Wally World marks the stuff 50% off and I've gotten a lot of my mulch, peat and top soil on clearance there. [Wink] Of course, I have an advantage because it's right on my way to and from school, so I can pull in the parking lot and drive by the spot where they throw the garden clearance stuff. [Smile] I don't even have to get out of my car. [thumb]

A couple of years ago, when I was driving though they were tearing down those boxed partitions they make out of the landscaping timbers for the trees, shrubs and bushes and throwing them in a clearance pile. I stopped and asked how much they were and the garden manager told me 3 for $1.00, so I told him I wanted 30 of them and to put them aside. [Smile] I went in and paid for them and when I came out he started loading them two at a time because they were nailed together. When he got to 15 I stopped him and said I only paid for 30, but he told me I only had 15 pieces. [Eek!] He said, they wanted them out of there and didn't have time to tear them apart. So I actually ended up with 60 landscaping timbers for only $10.00. What a deal! [clappy]

We have a Lowe's here and I love it! [Love] However, I don't see them marking the garden stuff down like Wal-Mart does. [Frown] I think it probably depends on the individual stores and how much room they have. We have another Wal-Mart near here and they don't mark things down as much as the one here in town.

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by SpringFever on May 13, 2006 11:57 AM
I just fond this thread.. I seen a man lurking around HD and seen him break the bags open I was so mad!! [Mad] .. He got such a great deal on stealing I almost said something and well walked away! really would of said bad things!!

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by comfrey on May 13, 2006 03:15 PM
We bought some dog pen panels that were damaged at HD for 50% off the price, but they were not marked that..We ask someone about them and they marked them down for us on the spot.

-
 -
by tcmers on May 14, 2006 12:15 PM
quote:
Originally posted by SpringFeaver:
I just fond this thread.. I seen a man lurking around HD and seen him break the bags open I was so mad!! [Mad] .. He got such a great deal on stealing I almost said something and well walked away! really would of said bad things!!
I think I would have said something. Getting a bargain is great, but come on! That's just a low life dishonest person. Who knows, Maybe they'd of kicked him out of the store and then sold them to you discounted for reporting him. That'd teach him! he, he.
by patches1414 on May 14, 2006 10:10 PM
quote:
I seen a man lurking around HD and seen him break the bags open I was so mad!! .. He got such a great deal on stealing I almost said something and well walked away!
I guess I'm really not understanding what was going on here or what he was stealing? [dunno] They don't automatically give you a discount if the bag is broken or torn, it first has to be clearly marked by the store before it is even put in the clearance pile. [Roll Eyes]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by Jiffymouse on May 15, 2006 04:21 AM
actually, it is theft, and drives the prices up when a customer damages a bag on purpose and then points it out to staff, requesting a discount.

some stores will prosecute for malicious vandalism. other's will prosecute for fraud.

i love a bargain, but i'd never stoop that low.
by patches1414 on May 15, 2006 08:26 PM
quote:
actually, it is theft, and drives the prices up when a customer damages a bag on purpose and then points it out to staff, requesting a discount.
Evidently, it sounds like they do things much differently where you live because the store here DOES NOT automatically discount broken or damaged bags. [Frown] One of my students used to work there during the summer and he told me they collect the damaged goods and the store's garden manager marks them down on Thursday or Friday and puts a coded sticker on them before they go to the clearance pile. [Wink] Actually, the guy would have to wait around for a couple of days to see if he could get it at a discount, so I guess that's why I didn't understand [dunno] what was going on.

-
 -
by Jiffymouse on May 16, 2006 03:26 PM
every store has a different policy. some better than others. sounds like the store there has the best one.
by weezie13 on May 16, 2006 03:29 PM
quote:
Originally posted by patches1414:
quote:
Evidently, it sounds like they do things much differently where you live because the store here DOES NOT automatically discount broken or damaged bags. [Frown] One of my students used to work there during the summer and he told me they collect the damaged goods and the store's garden manager marks them down on Thursday or Friday and puts a coded sticker on them before they go to the clearance pile. [Wink] Actually, the guy would have to wait around for a couple of days to see if he could get it at a discount, so I guess that's why I didn't understand [dunno] what was going on.

Alot of times, those ripped bags are from someone
wanting to know what the soil looks like inside before they buy them..
Our Wally~World is smarting up, and putting a square of landscaped timbers in front of each bag.. and then putting some in that square, so
people can see/view/feel etc it.. and then buy or not buy...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by patches1414 on May 16, 2006 04:28 PM
quote:
Alot of times, those ripped bags are from someone wanting to know what the soil looks like inside before they buy them..
Thanks Weezie! Judging from the quality of some of the topsoil these days I can certainly understand that! [Frown] I've had big chucks of woods, sticks and rocks in some of the bags I've gotten in the past. [Frown] Besides, I don't like to think there's that many dishonest people in the world.

quote:
Our Wally~World is smarting up, and putting a square of landscaped timbers in front of each bag.. and then putting some in that square, so people can see/view/feel etc it.. and then buy or not buy...
Those are the landscaping timbers I got so cheap. The ones they use to make those squares. [thumb]

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: wasps in my pump!!!| Next thread: water........ »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: