The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

pecan tree worms? sores?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: pecan rollers??| Next thread: Pecan Trees »
Back to Thread index
by flwrgrdnmom on April 11, 2006 10:11 AM
We have 7-8 full grown pecan trees in our yard. They are at least 60 years old. Every year the leaves get these round spots on them... they are hard bumps and when you cut them open it's white inside. It causes the leaves to fall through out the year. Any idea what it could be and what we could do to treat it? Also, the pecans for the last 1-2 years have had little holes in them, and worms, that can only be described as a type of maggot, come out. Any idea about this problem either?
Thanks for any help!!
by Longy on April 12, 2006 03:35 AM
Wow, sounds like your trees have a few problems.

The grub in the nut is probably a weevil. The round lumps sound like a type of gall and the round spots may be an early indication of that or something totally different like a fungal problem.

So. What to do.
I'm no pecanist, (i doubt that's even a word,) in fact i've never grown one so i'm mostly going on what i know about plants in general here. Besides, i have keyboard diarrhea at the moment. I do know that healthy plants, especially fruit and nut trees, will repel pests and shakeoff diseases better than unhealthy ones.

My guess is that your trees have been left untended, unpruned and unfertilised for a long time. Possibly competing with lawn grass or similar for water and nutrient. Am i close?
As a crop bearer, they will require a regular fertilizing program. Also, they will require a good supply of water when in the growth period and while the nuts are forming.
I'm sure there is plenty of info on the web from people who know, but if possible, i'd start by mulching and fertilizing with organic fertilisers out to the dripline. For example, spread blood and bone meal, 3:1 with sulphate of potash and also some chicken manure pellets. About a handful to the square yard around the dripline . Water well before and after fertilising. Cover the lot with 6 inches of mulch and water again and then see how much improvement you get. As you are in spring, there should be new growth emerging so now is probably the time to get started on a bumper crop for the year.

-
The secret is the soil.
by flwrgrdnmom on April 12, 2006 04:45 AM
That sounds right... I just looked up those 2 things on the web (great thing to have if you know what to look for) and it showed exactly the problems I'm having.
Thank you so much!!!
by Buglady on April 12, 2006 10:38 AM
In GA they are doing a lot of work on the pecan weevil. there is a lot of information available on the net, here is some

pecan weevil

They are looking at using beneficial nematodes to help control the weevil. Field efficacy of entomopathogenic nematodes for control of the pecan weevil, Curculio caryae, and plum curculio, Conotrachelus nenuphar, (Coleoptera: Curculionidae)

-
 -
The Buglady
Suzanne Wainwright-Evans, www.bugladyconsulting.com
Educating the world... one bug at a time
by flwrgrdnmom on April 13, 2006 10:36 PM
Thanks for the link! I'll do some further research into this.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: pecan rollers??| Next thread: Pecan Trees »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: