The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Cheap mini greenhouse to start seeds...

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by beebiz on December 21, 2005 05:16 PM
Are you like me and can't aford those expensive mini greenhouses for starting seeds? Well if you have a bakery or a grocery store with a bakery close to you, you can probably aford a mini greenhouse.

You know the cake containers... the ones that usually have a hard plastic bottom that a sheet cake sits on and has a clear plastic, self-locking top? I've bought a half dozen of them from the bakery in our local grocery store. They charged me less than $3 each. And, they work great for mini greenhouses. Just talk to the bakery or store manager. Tell them what you're using them for and they'll get a kick out of it!

Of course you could get them for free if you know someone who eats lots of those sheet cakes that come in the containers!! ;)0

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!

Robert

My New Web Site If you take a look, please sign my guest book so I'll know you've been there! Also, check out the new African Violet addition to my site! Thanks
by Cricket on December 21, 2005 05:31 PM
Great idea! [thumb] Thanks for sharing it.

Cricket
by comfrey on December 22, 2005 03:29 AM
That is a great idea....I use all sorts of containers, mostly smaller ones that will fit into a zip lock gallon size plastic bag, that way I unzip if too much moisture is in there.

-
 -
by beebiz on December 22, 2005 07:43 AM
Glad you guys liked that.

Another thing. You know those plastic ice trays that you can usually pick up at a yard sale for around $1 for an armload? You can use them to start seeds in. For the "greenhouse effect" just place a piece of plastic wrap over it and put a rubber band around the tray (under the rim and on the outside) to hold the plastic wrap in place. If the moisture is too high, take a needle or toothpick and punch some holes in the plastic wrap to vent it. You have to be careful though. Being relatively shallow, the soil in the trays will dry out quick. ESPECIALLY if you use bottom heat!!

Hope this helps too!

Robert

My New Web Site If you take a look, please sign my guest book so I'll know you've been there! Also, check out the new African Violet addition to my site! Thanks
by comfrey on December 22, 2005 12:13 PM
Ohhh...ice trays what a good idea!!!!!! And I was just thinking a few days ago that I need new ice trays...what a perfect use of the old ones, I hate having to throw anything away. Another good idea Robert. [thumb] [thumb] [thumb]

-
 -
by willaim on January 05, 2006 09:28 AM
how to start geraniums from plants taken into a greenhouse in the fall from the garden???
by beebiz on January 13, 2006 09:52 AM
Hey william,

I'm sorry, but I don't do geraniums. About the only thing that I know about them is that for some reason, I am good at killing them!! You might try that question in the "Plants and Flowers" forum. I'm sure someone could help you there.

Sorry I couldn't help. Good luck.

Robert

by MsBatt on January 18, 2006 12:04 PM
I save all those plastic trays Wal-Mart packs their meats in and use them to start seeds in. The deep ones are WONDERFUL, and I can place plastic wrap over the top and rubber-band it in place.

Egg cartons are good for starting seeds in, too, especially the cardboard type. Those you can plant, just like peat pots!
by beebiz on January 20, 2006 05:14 PM
Hey MsBatt,

I too have used the Wally World meat trays and the empty egg cartons. I haven't had any of the cardboard cartons in a while though. Because of my heart problems, we don't eat many eggs anymore. And, most of the grocers around her carry the ones in the styrofoam. I don't care for them too much. They just don't seem to be quite deep enough for me.

by Marian on January 21, 2006 11:54 PM
I have done all of the above , except the sheetcake containers . Since I no longer do all the seed starting I have 'tons' of stuff to send to recycling or the dump ! Maybe I can find someone who could use them , but then , everyone can save those containers .

I use a lot of the meat trays to set my house plants in .

-
by MossLady on February 17, 2006 09:52 PM
Hey William,
I take my geranium clippings, use rotting hormone and place them in dry sand/potting mix, arrange a dome with a old coat hanger, cover with a clear plastic, then water from a bottom tray. Mine have worked everytime.
by MossLady on February 17, 2006 09:57 PM
WHOOPS..... I meant R-O-O-T-ING hormone...!
[Big Grin]
by weezie13 on February 17, 2006 10:48 PM
Ahhhh, yeah, guess that "rotting" hormone wouldn't do much good.. lol wink~wink!!! [Wink] [Wink] [Big Grin]

When you take your clippings MossLady, do you
strip the leaves, or not??
Just curious???

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by peppereater on February 18, 2006 04:04 AM
Beebiz, $3 is too much to pay for those cake tins. I found the mini greenhouses on sale at a large feed n seed store for $3.49, with seed trays for 72 seedlings. I got one at Wal Mart with Jiffy Seed Starters for the same price, and I think they had the ones with the 72-plant trays
for $3.99. I know they run $7 or $8 some places, and they're not worth that much.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by MossLady on February 18, 2006 09:14 AM
I just strip the lower leaves to create about a 2" stem to stick in the sandy soil.
by beebiz on February 18, 2006 10:41 AM
Hey peppereater,

I don't remember exactly how much the cake boxes were. I just remember that they were considerably less than $3 each. Knowing that the mini-greenhouses that I had found around here at Wal-Mart and other places were between $6 and $8, I thought the cake boxes were a good deal. But, you are quite right about being able to find good deals on things if you are willing to do some looking..... especially at the right time of year!!

Later!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by peppereater on February 19, 2006 02:37 AM
I wonder how leaf lettuce or radishes would do in those cake tins....little mine vegetable gardens! [thumb]

-
Dave
by beebiz on February 19, 2006 02:53 AM
Hey Dave,

I don't know how they would work for lettuce or radishes, but I would think that they would be fine.

Since you have referred to them as cake "tins", I just wanted to make sure that you know that I am not talking about the ones with the metal bottoms. The ones that I am talking about have the clear plastic, snap in place tops and a black (that's what color they are at my store) plastic bottom. And, they use them to put sheet cakes on. The ones that I have gotten in the past are used for the large sheet cakes like you would buy for a big birthday party or family gathering. I'm sure you already knew which ones I was talking about, but just wanted to make sure!

Bee good!!

Robert

by peppereater on February 19, 2006 03:18 AM
Ahhhh! Yeah, I was picturing both the metal and plastic types, but I was picturing the ROUND ones! [nutz]
Those rectangular ones really are just like the mini greenhouses, aren't they?
Sometimes my brain just locks up... [perplexed] [dunno] [Embarrassed]

-
Dave
by peppereater on February 19, 2006 03:21 AM
Hey Beebiz, I just checked out your profile...I was born in 60 too! December.
I wish I could talk ya out of a beehive! [thumb] [Big Grin]

-
Dave
by weezie13 on February 19, 2006 04:44 AM
I use the clear plastic containers
I get those grape/cherry tomatoes in in the grocery store..
And I use the styrofoam plates I get when I buy
those 4 or 5 cucumbers... and set the plastic container on top of the plate... drains good, and it's not tooooooo deep that it sits in it too long.

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by beebiz on February 19, 2006 07:14 AM
That's a good idea Weezie!!

Dave, as far as I am concerned, '60 was a very good year to bee born!! There would bee two problems with trying to talk me out of a beehive. First, it would cost a great deal to ship a whole hive of bees from TN to OK!! And, at over $2 per gallon for gas... I ain't driving them over!! Second, I only have the one hive. If I gave it to you, I'd have to start all over again. You seem like a nice enough of a fellow, but I'm afraid it's just a dog that won't hunt!!!! Sorry!

Robert

by peppereater on February 19, 2006 01:17 PM
Beebiz...awesome. Just one hive? I'd like one to pollinate my fruit trees and veggies, but it would be cool to have a few and share some honey! With my forum friends and the rest of my family! [thumb] [muggs]

I once had to do a tree removal where a storm had split a hollow tree. There was a BIG wild hive there, in the hollow, spilled all over the ground, and tons of honey. I kept eating the honey and comb...it was so incredibly good.
I do plan to get a hive or 2 sometime...I may pick your brain a little if I do.
Bee good yourown self, Beebiz! [wavey]

-
Dave
by slredmond on February 28, 2006 12:53 AM
Dave - is the feed and seed store you referred to a chain? Quality Farm & Fleet, TSC?
Thanks,
sandy

Sandy R.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: