The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

dont even know where to start

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: don't understand my aloe| Next thread: Doomed Lawn! »
Back to Thread index
by hinda on May 15, 2005 09:41 PM
[dunno] i am a very new beginner in the gardening scene. i am starting to see the end of the light now that most of my large and overgrown garden is rid of weeds. but now i have no idea what to do next. i live in israel and the inimal gardening experience that i have was in canand. the envirinments are so different!! how do i know what kind of garden i should create and what would thirve and what will die. i need help and support on this case. we are now in the dry season adn wilm probably not see any rain until around octber. the soil sems rich undertneath a thin layer of dry loose soil. it can get quite windy here so i need soemthing a little more hardy. i would also like to grow herbs. thanks in advance for you advice
hinda [wayey]
by RugbyHukr on May 16, 2005 12:12 AM
I would suggest, buying a couple of books on arid landscape gardening. There are many plants that will thrive in your area. As for herbs, they may love your climate, or may need to be kept indoors. Get a couple of books to help & use the NET to guide you.

Also, trial & error takes time, but is a great teacher.

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by tkhooper on May 16, 2005 12:31 AM
Hi Hinda,

I know you have been busy.

I would start with succulents. Here is a link to one that I grow as a house plant.

Dudleya gnoma

I would look up runoff farming to get an idea of how you need to work with different elevations inorder to effectively utilize what rain water you do get in your garden area.

There are suppose to be 6 different growing zones in Israel so you need to identify which one you are in so that you can tell which plants are hardy in your area.

I would also start by developing your rain water catch system before starting to plant since it will be so necessary to your plants.

Next would probably be to get a pH testing kit so that you can find out how acidic/alkaline your soil is. That way if you need soil ammendments you can do that now before anything is planted.

Then observe the garden so that you know how much shade and if it is morning or afternoon shade that your garden gets.

For your online search I might try Mediterranean Subtropical and Tropical Plants.

That sure is going to be different from Canada.
by hinda on May 17, 2005 09:21 PM
[Big Grin] the succulents are actuly plants that i have been interested in a cousin of mine is about to give me a few leaves to try to root. by her they jsut fall off and root automatically. but we didint know the name for them so we jsut called them the rubber plants : [grin] [nutz]
thanks
hinda
by tkhooper on May 17, 2005 10:35 PM
You might want to look through this website. It list bunches of plants that might be of interest to you.

Plants

Did I mention that I love the moss roses (portulaca). It is a succulent.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: don't understand my aloe| Next thread: Doomed Lawn! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: